PDA

View Full Version : The reason Drew is part of the problem...

Ickybaluky
10-03-2004, 08:21 PM
I keep hearing people saying "Drew didn't play badly" and the such, and they may be right to a degree. I mean, the Bills OL doesn't do a great job protecting him at times, and he can't do it alone.

However, Drew's critical weakness keeps coming back to bite Buffalo in the ass. Every critical 3rd or 4th down the defense blitzes Drew to force him to make a quick decision. In that circumstance, more often than not, he can't get the job done. He either takes the sack, throws an incompletion or hits a pass short of the first down.

It happens too often. The fact is that with Drew at QB Buffalo is limited on 3rd down. He doesn't get rid of the ball quickly and hit his checkdowns, and he is so immobile he can't buy any time. He is a big target, and defenses are sending more guys than the Bills can block in every critical situation on 3rd down.

The Bills were 2-12 on 3rd down today. They were only 13-for39 (33%) coming into the game. In 2003 Buffalo was 67-for-212 (31.6%) on 3rd down, 28th in the NFL.

Teams have figured out that you play for 3rd down and then blitz to pressure Bledsoe, and the Bills can't resolve that.

The difference in today's game was two-fold:

1) The Pats were able to blitz Bledsoe effectively on 3rd down, and the Bills couldn't handle it.

2) The Bills kept blitzing Brady and he made them pay.

As for #2, it was a strategic mistake. Brady is excellent vs. the blitz. You may get some shots on him and force some negative plays, but Brady is going to make the defense pay more often.

IMO, the Bills came out with intensity and played tough against a Pats team that could have been had. The Pats were sloppy in the 1st half, but were able to put things together later in the game. The Bills however were sloppy throughout the game. They played well, but didn't make the little plays that would have given them victory. They didn't keep their poise, instead making the mistakes that cost them the game.

FTG
10-03-2004, 08:23 PM
We know Drew sucks balls. Do you have to rub it in :mad:

Drewpac
10-03-2004, 08:24 PM
We know Drew sucks balls. Do you have to rub it in :mad:

lol. took the words right out of my mouth.

The Natrix
10-03-2004, 08:26 PM
I keep hearing people saying "Drew didn't play badly" and the such, and they may be right to a degree. I mean, the Bills OL doesn't do a great job protecting him at times, and he can't do it alone.

However, Drew's critical weakness keeps coming back to bite Buffalo in the ass. Every critical 3rd or 4th down the defense blitzes Drew to force him to make a quick decision. In that circumstance, more often than not, he can't get the job done. He either takes the sack, throws an incompletion or hits a pass short of the first down.

It happens too often. The fact is that with Drew at QB Buffalo is limited on 3rd down. He doesn't get rid of the ball quickly and hit his checkdowns, and he is so immobile he can't buy any time. He is a big target, and defenses are sending more guys than the Bills can block in every critical situation on 3rd down.

The Bills were 2-12 on 3rd down today. They were only 13-for39 (33%) coming into the game. In 2003 Buffalo was 67-for-212 (31.6%) on 3rd down, 28th in the NFL.

Teams have figured out that you play for 3rd down and then blitz to pressure Bledsoe, and the Bills can't resolve that.

The difference in today's game was two-fold:

1) The Pats were able to blitz Bledsoe effectively on 3rd down, and the Bills couldn't handle it.

2) The Bills kept blitzing Brady and he made them pay.

As for #2, it was a strategic mistake. Brady is excellent vs. the blitz. You may get some shots on him and force some negative plays, but Brady is going to make the defense pay more often.

IMO, the Bills came out with intensity and played tough against a Pats team that could have been had. The Pats were sloppy in the 1st half, but were able to put things together later in the game. The Bills however were sloppy throughout the game. They played well, but didn't make the little plays that would have given them victory. They didn't keep their poise, instead making the mistakes that cost them the game.

:bf1:

Couldn't agree more. I have zero confidence in Bledsoe when we really need him to make a play. Being clutch is what I value the most in a QB, and Bledose leaves a lot to be desired in that area, to the say the least.

Mr. Cynical
10-03-2004, 08:28 PM
The bottom line is the Pats are a championship calibre team and the Bills are not. The first change that needs to take place is to fire TD and let the new GM build a respectable offense.

As for Drew, he is completely done. He should retire now..and I do mean now...and head out to his ranch. I'm not kidding. He is not the entire reason for the Bills' problems but he is most certainly the cornerstone. The QB is the leader, and he is anything but at this point. No confidence. No skills. No game. He needs to go. The sooner we can get JP out there to start building for next year the better.

So sick and tired of sucking. 17-34, 6 game losing streak. We are as bad as the f***king Cardinals.