PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe Bootleg Run on 4th and 3!

BillsRockSOMUCH
10-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Apparently the call on the 4th and 3 play was get this- a QB bootleg run!!! But Henry went the wrong way, the O-Line was clueless so Drew just got hit by Bruschi and fumbled it.
But seriously Mularkey, a bootleg run? What the hell were you thinking, did you forget who your QB was? Another thing is Mularkey must know Bledsoe aint comfortable running that play, so why use a play Bledsoe isn't comfortable doing at the most important point of the ball game? Why complicate things? Just have Moulds come down the middle on a crossing pattern or something simple like that. Bootleg run? Come on!

ryjam282
10-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Talk about a terrible call, that bootleg would have taken all day.....Drew would still right now be behind the line of scrimmage trying to run, or at the least patting the ball. :rolleyes:

hwc
10-03-2004, 10:56 PM
The funny thing was listening to both coaches talk about that play.

Mularkey was sure it would work because the Pats would bite on the run fake. In fact, the design of the play was such that the Pats had to play the Henry run for the play to work.

But, even after the game, Belichick had no idea it was a called bootleg. He assumed that it was a pass play and said that his defense was playing pass all the way. As he put it, "yeah, of course we were playing 100% pass. It was 4th and 3 and they were down by a score. They have to throw the ball."

The mistake Bledsoe and Mularky made was seeing something that was open throughout the game on running downs (nobody caring what Bledsoe did after the handoff) and assuming it would work on a passing down.

Mr. Cynical
10-03-2004, 11:03 PM
After reading this I have now lost faith in MM/TC as well.

WORST. IDEA. EVER.

Come to think of it, they tried that play in Oakland as well by rolling Drew out. When a drop of molasses in subzero temperature can move faster than your QB, you don't try bootlegs.

Sigh. I was looking forward to next year but if these guys are this blind we're F***KED. :mad:

Mr. Cynical
10-04-2004, 12:12 PM
I heard today on ESPN that they will be using Drew to return kickoffs next week to utilize his speed.