PDA

View Full Version : Henry BEWARE

juice
10-03-2004, 11:11 PM
YPC have dropped from last year, He has developed a case of the Tripsies, and he cant pick up the Blitz.

Going the wrong way on that "Bootleg" might be the mistake that gets Willis more looks next week.

Willis is a better Blocker as well as reciever.. Travis continues to show that he lacks the Game-Breaking ability and speed.. and Willis would be a much more explosive screen or dumpoff option in passing situations.

Travis had an OK day rushing but his Blitz pickup and Mental errors hurt the team today more than he helped.

Ickybaluky
10-04-2004, 08:50 AM
YPC have dropped from last year...

This isn't true, in fact he is far ahead of last year's pace.

Last year after 3 games Henry had:

53 carries - 122 yards (2.3 ypc) - 5 TD

This year after 3 games Henry's rushing numbers:

68 carries - 240 yards (3.5 ypc) - 0 TD

Even in 2002 Henry wasn't much better through 3 games:

55 carries - 214 yards (3.9 ypc) - 4 TD

Granted the TD numbers are way off, but that could be said of the offense as a whole.

Henry did make a couple of mental errors in yesterday's game, but was he alone with that distinction? He is still the same guy who ran for close to 2800 yards in 2002/2003, and is actually off to a better start than a year ago. If anything he is part of the solution, not the problem.

Tatonka
10-04-2004, 08:53 AM
This isn't true, in fact he is far ahead of last year's pace.

Last year after 3 games Henry had:

53 carries - 122 yards (2.3 ypc) - 5 TD

This year after 3 games Henry's rushing numbers:

68 carries - 240 yards (3.5 ypc) - 0 TD

Even in 2002 Henry wasn't much better through 3 games:

55 carries - 214 yards (3.9 ypc) - 4 TD

Granted the TD numbers are way off, but that could be said of the offense as a whole.

Henry did make a couple of mental errors in yesterday's game, but was he alone with that distinction? He is still the same guy who ran for close to 2800 yards in 2002/2003, and is actually off to a better start than a year ago. If anything he is part of the solution, not the problem.

i love seeing guys post threads that are completely wrong.. then have an opposing teams fan come over and blow the crap out of the water..

that was pretty funny.

Tatonka
10-04-2004, 08:54 AM
ps.. henry wont lose his job to mcgahee.. henry is not the reason we are losing games.

and he is gone after this year.. which i am sure will be a mistake.. but they are working on trade value.. no question.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Henry will be fine, he has always started slow. I would just like to see a little bit more of McGahee, especially on short yardage.

juice
10-04-2004, 10:44 AM

Game 1.. Cant score from the 1 yd line

Game 2.. Falls in crucial pt. of game

Game 3.. Trips and falls at even more crucial pt. and fails to execute a Blitz block pickup.

Henry was also the cause of the tipped pass that ended up being a turnover against the Raiders.

At no point has his 3 ypc been a factor in almost changing the outcome of any of our games this year.. He isn't a GameBreaker or a difference maker and he can't pick up a Blitzer to save his life or job.

I'd have to say his inability to block or pick up Blitzers is part of the problem.. Fumblitis and the Tripsies will be a Major reason he wont be here next year along with his inability to be a GameBreaker.

Ickybaluky
10-04-2004, 11:58 AM
I'd have to say his inability to block or pick up Blitzers is part of the problem.. Fumblitis and the Tripsies will be a Major reason he wont be here next year along with his inability to be a GameBreaker.

Not saying he is above reproach, but why single him out? Do you think Henry is the biggest offender on offense? I don't.

As for him not being a gamebreaker, how do you define it? He has had back-to-back 1300 yard campaigns, so he must be doing something right. He consistently runs hard and makes a lot of yardage on his own. He has shown he will play hurt and can carry the burden of being a feature RB, something a lot of guys can't do. I realize everyone is curious about what McGahee can do, and it probably wouldn't be a had idea to get him some playing time to find out. That said, he hasn't proven anything, Henry has.

It sounds like you are blaming Henry for the Bills offensive problems, and I don't see it. It sounds like your blaming him directly for the losses. Was O.J. to blame because he couldn't will some lousy Bills teams to victory, despite being an all-time RB? He wasn't the issue with those teams.

If Henry is traded, the Bills might end up rueing the move. There are a lot of teams he could help with his ability to run the football. He isn't a perfect football player, but he is good. I say if the Billls want to get better they should keep him and improve in other areas. Find out if Losman can play, get a decent TE or get a couple OL-men. I can think of bigger problems than Henry.

TigerJ
10-04-2004, 12:10 PM
I agree with NE. Travis Henry made mistakes. So did a whole bunch of other Bills. Had Buffalo cut down the number of errors by half, they might well have won the game.

finsrclowns
10-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Not saying he is above reproach, but why single him out? Do you think Henry is the biggest offender on offense? I don't.

As for him not being a gamebreaker, how do you define it? He has had back-to-back 1300 yard campaigns, so he must be doing something right. He consistently runs hard and makes a lot of yardage on his own. He has shown he will play hurt and can carry the burden of being a feature RB, something a lot of guys can't do. I realize everyone is curious about what McGahee can do, and it probably wouldn't be a had idea to get him some playing time to find out. That said, he hasn't proven anything, Henry has.

It sounds like you are blaming Henry for the Bills offensive problems, and I don't see it. It sounds like your blaming him directly for the losses. Was O.J. to blame because he couldn't will some lousy Bills teams to victory, despite being an all-time RB? He wasn't the issue with those teams.

If Henry is traded, the Bills might end up rueing the move. There are a lot of teams he could help with his ability to run the football. He isn't a perfect football player, but he is good. I say if the Billls want to get better they should keep him and improve in other areas. Find out if Losman can play, get a decent TE or get a couple OL-men. I can think of bigger problems than Henry.

Henry is a good player. Is he in the top 15 RB's in the league? I don't think so, if he is it's barely. He runs hard and plays hurt, those are big pluses. But he's a below average receiver and blocker and rarely does he have a run over 20 yards, which keeps him from being a complete back or an elite back. Agree or disagree with the WM pick, those are the reasons WM was taken with T Hen already here. As for this year, he may not be the big problem but he hasn't been a solution either. It's a fact that in crucial spots he's slipped or missed blocks, like on yesterday's crucial fumble and the play before on the 3-2 he has a huge hole and slips. He also hasn't scored, which is a huge difference from last year.

When a team is struggling with the blitz, which this team obviously is, you beat it with blocking and speedy receivers. I can't understand why WM isn't seeing time on 3rd downs because he offers more in both categories.
One reason the Pats didn't blitz as much as expected early in the game is because Evans stretched the field on the first play of the game for 55 yards. Throw in WM on 3rd down and you have a chance to have a decent offense. If that hurts T Hen's feelings oh well.

juice
10-04-2004, 03:22 PM
i love seeing guys post threads that are completely wrong.. then have an opposing teams fan come over and blow the crap out of the water..

that was pretty funny.
Coy's SS play was also funny, How many TDs did Coy give up Sunday.. Talk about being COMPLETELY wrong.. You and Wire are a Pats Fan's best friend.

Why do you think they continue to play that scrub?? I think we will see PP start this week against the JETS. Do you still think Wire is a "Smart Player" who "Works hard"?

I'm not saying he shouldn't be on the team because alot of CHICKS like looking at his Butt..Well, What do you think, does Wire as eye candy for CHICKS justify him being on the team.

helmetguy
10-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Nobody really listens to him anyway, NE! For amusement purposes only!

juice
10-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Nobody really listens to him anyway, NE! For amusement purposes only!
He's a pats fan.. I dont think he wants your season Tickets, Helmet.

helmetguy
10-04-2004, 04:50 PM
He's a pats fan.. I dont think he wants your season Tickets, Helmet.

He makes alot more sense than you do, though. And consistently so, at that.

Who said anything about Season Tickets?

juice
10-04-2004, 05:23 PM
He makes alot more sense than you do, though. And consistently so, at that.

Who said anything about Season Tickets?
That means there are too many cowards on this team and they lack the character to salvage this season, and Bills fans are Lames that tend to side with PATSIE FANS.

Except you Helmet, your a true serious fan.

Mr. Cynical
10-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Henry is a good player. Is he in the top 15 RB's in the league? I don't think so, if he is it's barely. He runs hard and plays hurt, those are big pluses. But he's a below average receiver and blocker and rarely does he have a run over 20 yards, which keeps him from being a complete back or an elite back. Agree or disagree with the WM pick, those are the reasons WM was taken with T Hen already here. As for this year, he may not be the big problem but he hasn't been a solution either. It's a fact that in crucial spots he's slipped or missed blocks, like on yesterday's crucial fumble and the play before on the 3-2 he has a huge hole and slips. He also hasn't scored, which is a huge difference from last year.

When a team is struggling with the blitz, which this team obviously is, you beat it with blocking and speedy receivers. I can't understand why WM isn't seeing time on 3rd downs because he offers more in both categories.
One reason the Pats didn't blitz as much as expected early in the game is because Evans stretched the field on the first play of the game for 55 yards. Throw in WM on 3rd down and you have a chance to have a decent offense. If that hurts T Hen's feelings oh well."Agree or disagree with the WM pick, those are the reasons WM was taken with T Hen already here."

Excellent post. :up:

TH is not the problem but nor is he the solution. He is a very solid runner but nothing special - he is not a gamebreaker. Is WM? Well we won't know until he gets the reps but 5-10 carries isn't going to cut it. He needs at least 15-20 touches to get into his groove (something which he and even MM said).

What I do know is that there were a few runs WM had this year where he made the defender look silly by juking him out of his jock. TH has never nor will ever be able to to do that. And why TC tries to run TH outside is beyond comprehension. He is simply not fast enough. But WM has alot better speed and can make those runs. We need an explosive run/catch back and we need to see if WM was worth the pick. I say start him asap so we can find out and stop all this hypothetical discussion.

finsrclowns
10-04-2004, 07:41 PM
"Agree or disagree with the WM pick, those are the reasons WM was taken with T Hen already here."

Excellent post. :up:

TH is not the problem but nor is he the solution. He is a very solid runner but nothing special - he is not a gamebreaker. Is WM? Well we won't know until he gets the reps but 5-10 carries isn't going to cut it. He needs at least 15-20 touches to get into his groove (something which he and even MM said).

What I do know is that there were a few runs WM had this year where he made the defender look silly by juking him out of his jock. TH has never nor will ever be able to to do that. And why TC tries to run TH outside is beyond comprehension. He is simply not fast enough. But WM has alot better speed and can make those runs. We need an explosive run/catch back and we need to see if WM was worth the pick. I say start him asap so we can find out and stop all this hypothetical discussion.

He's not going to start and I'm not saying he should. He's earned the right to have a few off games, not that he's not trying to do well. But all I'm talking about right now is 3rd down. When you look at our problems on offense they're not entirely but MAINLY 3rd down issues. 1) we can't protect well enough in obvious passing downs. I see improvement in the protection, outside of Mike Williams, but there's not much we can do there personnel wise EXCEPT replace Henry who is a smaller guy that doesn't block well. Advantage McGahee. 2) Instead of using Shelton as an outlet receiver who is WAY too slow to be effective against an all out blitz or Henry who has problems receiving use WM. He is a good reciever and he has the speed to make somone miss on a screen or a dump off. I don't get why he's not in there.

We saw an improvement in the offense this week for one reason: Evans is a speed threat and can catch the ball. Josh Reed isn't and can't. WM could bring the offense up another notch even just by playing 3rd down. We're not that far away from being a decent offense IMO.

juice
10-04-2004, 07:47 PM
He should be in all Passing situations as well as any goalline situations or short yardage.

Willis blocks and Catches better on pass plays and he is better on Goalline plays.

Tatonka
10-04-2004, 08:01 PM
juice.. i have admited i was wrong on coy.. but reese still sucks a dick.. both of them are ****ing aweful.

i am surprised you havent started a ruben brown thread this week.

juice
10-04-2004, 08:17 PM
juice.. i have admited i was wrong on coy.. but reese still sucks a dick.. both of them are ****ing aweful.

i am surprised you havent started a ruben brown thread this week.
Reese is our most consistent DB so far this season Tonk.. He has played well in run Defense and he hasn't been beaten deep yet this season.. And thats tough to do when our Multi-Million-Dollar DE has been MIA since week 1.

Just look at what happens when Wire has to play a TE one-on-one, he gets beat for a TD.

You admitted to being wrong about Wire taking Reeses FS position.. Can you now admit that Coy should not be a Starter on any team in this League? A special Teams Player at best.

Ruben is a Man on a Mission down there in Chi-town.. He is the pulling guard on many plays and as far as I have heard has less Holding Penalties than Vallariel, and he stays healthy.

He is the 2nd best Lineman they have and their Line appears to be of a much higher level of Talent over ours.. and they have Depth.

Great call by TD Trading Vallerial for Brown.. He should be fired for that move and doing nothing to upgrade the Line or it's Depth.

I would trade Vallerial, Tucker and Smith to get Ruben Back. Looks like he may be headed back to the Pro Bowl, Because the Voting is a Popularity contest or works on Name recognition.

Tatonka
10-04-2004, 08:28 PM
i dont know how else to admit i am wrong.. wire sucks.. he is no good at coverage.. i like his enthusiasm.. and maybe he could be a tasker type guy.. but he just cant stay in coverage well..

and i have seen reese get beat PLENTY this season.. i dont know what games you have been watching.

ruben is over the hill.

Philagape
10-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Travis Henry has been just as much failure this season as Drew has. They are very similar players: both are one-dimensional and both need a good line to produce. While Drew can make a few plays with the long ball, Henry is not a playmaker. He's a good, tough inside runner who plays his heart out, but with this line he won't win any games for us. And say what you will about Drew, but it was Henry who was the goat on the potential game-tying drive, for two plays in a row: the stumble with a big hole and sure first down in front of him, and then he blew his assignment, allowing Bruschi into the backfield untouched. I can't say whether that was a bad play or not because it wasn't executed properly. If it had worked, we'd be calling it genius. Drew said the left side of the field was open all day, and even he can run three yards if no one's there.
What's been horrible about our offense play-calling is the non-use of McGahee. With his talent, he doesn't need a good line as much as Henry does. He can make things happen on his own. Henry's play this season does not warrant him being the exclusive back. I'm not saying WM should take over as the starter, but we have to mix it up and give him a series or two in the first half. Not only will that add a spark to our offense and keep the defense guessing, but it will give Henry fresher legs in the second half, and maybe he doesn't trip with big holes in front of him.

Philagape
10-04-2004, 08:45 PM
And don't tell me about trade value. TH's value peaked long ago. Teams know his limitations. I guarantee you we'll never get a first-rounder for him, so it's not worth it to let trade value dictate who we use in the offense.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
10-05-2004, 09:22 AM
Ahhhhh....I had a feeling this conversation would turn to Reuben Brown...

My thoughts:

Travis Henry is a good back and runs hard....you need that on 1st and 2nd Downs.

Willis should be in on any short yardage or 3rd down.
Travis has shown he does not excel in those situations, so give Willis a shot to prove he can. Anybody see the blitz pickup he had where he flipped the NE linebacker over like a doll?
I would bet that Willis would have made that 3rd &2...there was a nice hole and he would have burst through it.

It just makes sense and I don't know how you can continue to keep him on the sidelines. His blood must be boiling by now.

CLEMENTS is a ****ty Offensive Coordinator at this point in his career. MM should take over playcalling while we still have a chance to salvage the season.

Reuben is not the answer to our prayers this year. We would be in exactly the same spot with him as we are without him.

juice
10-05-2004, 11:17 PM
And don't tell me about trade value. TH's value peaked long ago. Teams know his limitations. I guarantee you we'll never get a first-rounder for him, so it's not worth it to let trade value dictate who we use in the offense.
Travis should have been traded before the season for a LG to replace the player we lost.. maybe a second if he doesn't get injured or begins fumbleing again.