PDA

View Full Version : Bills Blitzing according to Belichick

hwc
10-04-2004, 05:57 PM
According to Belichick's press conference today, a review of the game film showed that the Bills blitzed Brady on 42 of 60 plays yesterday and most of those were six man blitzes.

Belichick indicated that he was reasonably pleased with the way the Pats picked up the blitz packages. No sacks.

mchurchfie
10-04-2004, 06:00 PM
What does that say about our passrushing and why the hell wasn't this addressed in the offseason.:mad:

Mr. Cynical
10-04-2004, 06:02 PM
I wonder if the no sacks could also be attributed to the fact that his QB can:

...move more than 3 inches to the left or right
...make a decision to throw the ball in less than 10 mins

mchurchfie
10-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I wonder if the no sacks could also be attributed to the fact that his QB can:

...move more than 3 inches to the left or right
...make a decision to throw the ball in less than 10 mins

That is probably most of it but if a team blitzes 42 times and can't even get one sack, something is extremely wrong.:(

Dozerdog
10-04-2004, 06:08 PM
What does that say about our passrushing and why the hell wasn't this addressed in the offseason.:mad:

It tells me that a good offensive line, with RBs that can actually read the Blitz and pick up and block the blitzer- are very effective.

And a QB who can make quick decisions /confident throws. He made some passes to guys who were well covered and they still made the catch.

hwc
10-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Belichick also said that any good quarterback (and he includes T. Brady in that) LOVES when a team blitzes that much. It leaves man-on-man coverage downfield and opens up opportunities for big pass plays.

The Pats were ready for the blitzing yesterday -- they had seen almost the same amount of blitzing from the Bills on game film from the most recent game.

Belichick also said that their gameplan was to throw deep against the blitz. His reasoning is that, if they are going to cover you man-on-man, there isn't much point in throwing the ball 2 yards across the line of scrimmage. Might as well try to hit some deep stuff if they are going to give you coverages to exploit.

Mr. Cynical
10-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Belichick also said that any good quarterback (and he includes T. Brady in that) LOVES when a team blitzes that much.
Key word here being "good".

Dozerdog
10-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Belichick also said that any good quarterback (and he includes T. Brady in that) LOVES when a team blitzes that much. It leaves man-on-man coverage downfield and opens up opportunities for big pass plays.

The Pats were ready for the blitzing yesterday -- they had seen almost the same amount of blitzing from the Bills on game film from the most recent game.

Belichick also said that their gameplan was to throw deep against the blitz. His reasoning is that, if they are going to cover you man-on-man, there isn't much point in throwing the ball 2 yards across the line of scrimmage. Might as well try to hit some deep stuff if they are going to give you coverages to exploit.

Overall, Brady's been sacked what, 4 times?

What amazed me was on 1st and 35, the completion he made there was outstanding- the difference between us and them - and most of the rest of the league and them- is that they have so much confidence he will throw to a guy that has a DB draped all over them.

hwc
10-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Belichick said that he was pretty excited to convert a 1st and 35 play! He added, "We don't have many 1st and 35 plays in our playbook...."

BTW, on this blitzing thing. Notice that Belichick didn't blitz Bledsoe much until garbage time when the Bills were forced to pass. Belichick never blitzes Manning. He hates blitzing QBs who can make you pay downfield. He'll blitz in the redzone because you have nothing to lose and it's worth the gamble to push the offense back out of scoring range. But, he doesn't blitz much between the 20s unless it's a rookie QB.

Mr. Cynical
10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
What amazed me was on 1st and 35, the completion he made there was outstanding- the difference between us and them - and most of the rest of the league and them- is that they have so much confidence he will throw to a guy that has a DB draped all over them.
Agreed. Another difference..BIG difference...is that Brady throws to spots and lets the WRs run to them and catch it. Say what you will but Flutie was the same way. Drew on the other hand is like RJ....he waits, waits, waits until the WRs is completely open with nobody within 10 yards. But by that time he is either sacked or the DB adjusts and gets the INT.

bobbyc39
10-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Yes, I also solely blame Drew Bledsoe for not getting rid of the ball before it gets in his hands and especially the collapse of the right side of the offensive line. Boy is he terrible... he sucks so badly that he only threw 2 out of 2 perfect 40+ yard passes. What a bum.. bring on the CHICAGO BEARS throw away quarterback Shane Matthews.

hwc
10-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Agreed. Another difference..BIG difference...is that Brady throws to spots and lets the WRs run to them and catch it. Say what you will but Flutie was the same way. Drew on the other hand is like RJ....he waits, waits, waits until the WRs is completely open with nobody within 10 yards. But by that time he is either sacked or the DB adjusts and gets the INT.

Yep. This is exactly what Bill Walsh described as Bledsoe's weakness six or seven years ago -- always holding the ball until the receiver had made his cut and, by then, it was too late. He also said that Bledsoe could improve his ability to throw timing routes, but it would take giving up his offseason vacations in order to throw hundreds of balls a day with his wide receivers. Walsh said that was how Montana learned to do it.

mchurchfie
10-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Yes, I also solely blame Drew Bledsoe for not getting rid of the ball before it gets in his hands and especially the collapse of the right side of the offensive line. Boy is he terrible... he sucks so badly that he only threw 2 out of 2 perfect 40+ yard passes. What a bum.. bring on the CHICAGO BEARS throw away quarterback Shane Matthews.

It is his fault and he is a bumb...good call.:up:

DaBills
10-04-2004, 08:30 PM
" unless it's a rookie QB."

Or Drew.

:;

"What amazed me was on 1st and 35, the completion he made there was outstanding- the difference between us and them - and most of the rest of the league and them- is that they have so much confidence he will throw to a guy that has a DB draped all over them."

That IMO is key to our problems on both sides of the ball: The 3rd-down conversion rate. Our D allows too many, and our O can't convert them.

We allow too many on D because the secondary gives up too many yards after the catch. We contain on 1st, 2nd, but then give it all back on 3rd. They need to reverse the trend: give up 4 or 5 on 1st, then 3 on second, then nothing on 3rd.

The O can't convert enough because the problem is 50% line (and those that aren't picking up rushers), and 80% Drew. We constantly rush up the middle without great success. Henry is a good North-South guy. He's not a great cutback guy. (That's what we got Willis for.) But Henry does have more success when he runs to the outside. So why aren't they doing it more? ESPECIALLY in the red zone???

ScottLawrence
10-04-2004, 08:51 PM
According to Belichick's press conference today, a review of the game film showed that the Bills blitzed Brady on 42 of 60 plays yesterday and most of those were six man blitzes.

Belichick indicated that he was reasonably pleased with the way the Pats picked up the blitz packages. No sacks.

Just goes to show how good Brady is at avoiding the rush.

The Carolina Panthers best defensive line in the NFL didn't even sniff Brady in the superbowl either.

finsrclowns
10-04-2004, 09:25 PM
People that think Brady used his feet yesterday to avoid a pass rush are either a) trying to make a Drew bashing point or b) don't pay much attention to the game. Brady hardly got rushed yesterday- Fletcher got in the neighborhood a couple times, but not only wasn't Brady sacked he had a clean uniform at games end. The Pats offensive line is amazing and it doesn't seem to matter who they put in there, just like their WR's. Last year Brady went sack free throughout the playoffs, including Tennessee and Carolina, which are 2 stern tests. Did anyone see the time he had on the pass from his own end zone? He could have knitted a sweater back there and Bledsoe's "horn" would have almost gone off twice.

I thought our o-line did fairly well yesterday for them. But as good as Brady is, and he's very good, he wouldn't have been quite so comfortable behind our group. But I think if we can start winning, even if it's ugly, that line has the potential to be decent.

People also need to be clear on something else: Evans catch on the first play allowed us to stay in the game until the end. It told the Pats they had to be careful sending the blitz. That NEVER happened last year or in the first 2 games this year. Put WM in on 3rd down and I believe the O takes another jump forward. Despite only putting up 10 points yesterday the offense did a number of good things against a superior opponent- I feel good about many things from yesterday, except for penalties, and a few key plays that went the wrong way.

Dozerdog
10-04-2004, 09:35 PM
:bow:
People that think Brady used his feet yesterday to avoid a pass rush are either a) trying to make a Drew bashing point or b) don't pay much attention to the game. Brady hardly got rushed yesterday- Fletcher got in the neighborhood a couple times, but not only wasn't Brady sacked he had a clean uniform at games end. The Pats offensive line is amazing and it doesn't seem to matter who they put in there, just like their WR's. Last year Brady went sack free throughout the playoffs, including Tennessee and Carolina, which are 2 stern tests. Did anyone see the time he had on the pass from his own end zone? He could have knitted a sweater back there and Bledsoe's "horn" would have almost gone off twice.

I thought our o-line did fairly well yesterday for them. But as good as Brady is, and he's very good, he wouldn't have been quite so comfortable behind our group. But I think if we can start winning, even if it's ugly, that line has the potential to be decent.

People also need to be clear on something else: Evans catch on the first play allowed us to stay in the game until the end. It told the Pats they had to be careful sending the blitz. That NEVER happened last year or in the first 2 games this year. Put WM in on 3rd down and I believe the O takes another jump forward. Despite only putting up 10 points yesterday the offense did a number of good things against a superior opponent- I feel good about many things from yesterday, except for penalties, and a few key plays that went the wrong way.
Excellent post :up:

finsrclowns
10-04-2004, 09:48 PM
:bow:
Excellent post :up:

:bravo:

FlyingElvis
10-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Its not just the Pats OL that keeps Brady from getting sacked. Brady has the skill to move around in the pocket where the pressure can't get to him. Belichick was describing it in his press conference today. Its about moving up into the pocket, behind the OL man in front of him that eliminates the angle that the pass rusher has to the QB.

Also, Brady gets hit plenty. He just no longer has the ball when it happens, and the camera is no longer on him.

As you all know, Bledsoe never had these instincts. His natural instinct is to go into the fetal position when the pressure comes.

Marino had the same pocket presence. He was tough to sack despite not being mobile.

Mr. Cynical
10-04-2004, 09:51 PM

I thought our o-line did fairly well yesterday for them. But as good as Brady is, and he's very good, he wouldn't have been quite so comfortable behind our group. But I think if we can start winning, even if it's ugly, that line has the potential to be decent.Good theory except for one thing: Drew played behind that same line and still had problems with sacks and getting rid of the ball.

hwc
10-04-2004, 09:54 PM
The Pats offensive line is amazing and it doesn't seem to matter who they put in there, just like their WR's.

Three of the five starters on the Pats O-line yesterday were undrafted free agents coming out of college. The center was drafted in the 5th round. Matt Light, the left tackle, was the only first day draft pick -- a 2nd rounder.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2004, 06:20 AM
Three of the five starters on the Pats O-line yesterday were undrafted free agents coming out of college.

One of them, Stephen Neal, didn't even play college football. He was an amateur wrestler, and hadn't played any football since High School.

ryjam282
10-05-2004, 06:45 AM
That's the biggest thing I notice about Brady and Bledsoe. When Brady gets to the line, he points out the Mike LB for the lineman and you can see the center call out the blocking scheme....Then, Brady scans the D, I am sure he is identifying who his HOT route is for that play and going from there. When a team blitzes all out on him, he calmly locates the hot route and dumps it off.

When Drew gets to the line, he looks at the D, and I don't see him pointing people out like he used to do in 2002 when he would tap his helmet and then point to the LB's. He never hits his hot route guy (there is usually one on every play). The play where the Pats blitzed 8-9 guys, Drew hit his back foot on his drop and just cringed and wrapped the ball up a full 2 seconds before the guy got to him. Why would he do that? Hell, throw it at the WR's feet to one side of the formation, it can't be that difficult. Just remember, an incomplete pass is 10000000 times better then losing 7-10 yards on a play. Hell, at this point I would do cartwheels if Drew would get an intentional grounding called. At least something to show he gives two craps about this team.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2004, 06:46 AM
But as good as Brady is, and he's very good, he wouldn't have been quite so comfortable behind our group.

He may not put up the same numbers, but he probably would be good enough to win.

People forget that in Brady was sacked 41 times in 2001 and still managed enough offense (as a 1st-time starter, on a team without any gamebreaking talent) to win a Super Bowl.

In 2002 and 2003 Brady was sacked 31 and 32 times respectively.

Of course, that doesn't compare to the number of times Drew has gone down. Still, Brady was sacked over 100 times in his first 3 years as a starter and still QB'ed 2 Super Bowl Championship teams.

If Buffalo had Brady instead of Drew, I would wager they would be a far better club than they are right now.

ryjam282
10-05-2004, 06:49 AM
I agree NE39 with that last statement....

In 2001, didn't the Pats have a very good running game from A Smith and a very limited ball control offense? It just seems like they really rely on Brady a lot more now that they know what he can do and he is comfortable with things. I think that 2001 season, they didn't put him in positions to lose the game and he is and always will be a very good game manager. I just think as he got more comfortable with the offense they were able to open it up more.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2004, 07:00 AM
Brady scans the D, I am sure he is identifying who his HOT route is for that play and going from there.

I'll tell you something else Brady does exceptionally well (probably only Peyton Manning does it better).

Before the ball is snapped, Brady reads the coverage and knows where he is likely going with the ball based on the defensive alignment. That isn't unusual, most QBs do that.

However, what separates Brady (and Manning) from most other QBs is when dropping back, he first looks at where he is going to deliver the ball to be certain that someone unexpected isn't there, and then picks up the receiver he is throwing to. For instance, on the Patten TD Brady first looked at the left side of the field to be sure the S wasn't there, then picked up Patten and threw the ball because he was open. This helps him eliminate some bad turnovers and keeps his WR from getting set up for big hits.

Not many QBs can do that, because they can't read the defense, go through their progressions, and make the quick decision like Brady can.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2004, 07:05 AM
In 2001, didn't the Pats have a very good running game from A Smith and a very limited ball control offense? It just seems like they really rely on Brady a lot more now that they know what he can do and he is comfortable with things. I think that 2001 season, they didn't put him in positions to lose the game and he is and always will be a very good game manager. I just think as he got more comfortable with the offense they were able to open it up more.

It is true that Brady played a complementary game that year, but the thing that made it special was he stepped up and did more when needed. Early in the year, he led them back from 10 points down in the 4th quarter to beat SD in OT. He repeated that feat later in the year against the Jets. In the playoffs, he led them from behind to beat the Raiders on OT (I understand the "Tuck Rule" controversy, but the fact is they put the game in his hands and he produced). Then in the Super Bowl, he led them on the winning drive in the most pressure-packed situation a QB can face.

That is what separated him that year, he played within the system and wasn't asked to do much, and he performed admirably in that role. However, when he needed to do more he stepped up big time. Also, that was NOT a very good offensive team. He didn't have a lot around him, yet he still performed.

finsrclowns
10-05-2004, 07:07 AM
Three of the five starters on the Pats O-line yesterday were undrafted free agents coming out of college. The center was drafted in the 5th round. Matt Light, the left tackle, was the only first day draft pick -- a 2nd rounder.

I'm aware of that. And Brady was a 6th round choice. What's your point? All you have to do is watch what they're doing which is pass block as well any group in the league right now.

finsrclowns
10-05-2004, 07:15 AM
He may not put up the same numbers, but he probably would be good enough to win.

People forget that in Brady was sacked 41 times in 2001 and still managed enough offense (as a 1st-time starter, on a team without any gamebreaking talent) to win a Super Bowl.

In 2002 and 2003 Brady was sacked 31 and 32 times respectively.

Of course, that doesn't compare to the number of times Drew has gone down. Still, Brady was sacked over 100 times in his first 3 years as a starter and still QB'ed 2 Super Bowl Championship teams.

If Buffalo had Brady instead of Drew, I would wager they would be a far better club than they are right now.

Brady is a special player there's no doubt. I never made a comparison between Brady and Bledsoe, that wasn't the point. All I said is Brady has much better pass protection than Bledsoe and it helps his game a lot. A serious run threat in Dillon makes it that much harder for teams this year to rush the passer in NE.

Brady could be the MVP of the league right now. Does that somehow make Bledsoe worse or eliminate other factors that contribute to how each is doing? In a word, no. If we can simply get improved performance out of all aspects of our offense we can win games.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
10-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Why....if you have blitzed for three quarters with no result, do you keep blitzing??? I can see continuing to blitz if you are getting pressure/hurries.
Most sacks come from pressure up the middle that leads to the QB leaving the pocket. Not only did we not get any pressure up the middle, there was no pressure from the outside either.

I would have rather had us play cover 2 all day at least we would have had a chance for a pick (as long as Wire was ON THE BENCH WHERE HE BELONGS)

justasportsfan
10-05-2004, 09:00 AM
Agreed. Another difference..BIG difference...is that Brady throws to spots and lets the WRs run to them and catch it. Say what you will but Flutie was the same way. .
Drew did that last Sunday. The result? TD Moulds. How hard was that?

lunatic_bills_fan
10-05-2004, 09:31 AM
I have an opinion on this and quite possibly may be way off. After watching Brady on Sunday and Brees ( I know bad example, but hear me out) last Sunday and there are others, compare them to Drew and the big difference is their ability to stay focused when they KNOW they are going to get hit. Again I may be off but IMO Drew is almost to the point where he is scared. We say what a warrior he is for getting up hit after hit, well I believe its because Drew always turtles before he gets hit. He starts to prepare for the hit about 1 second before it actually comes. You will see guys like Brady, who knows the hit is coming, stay there and give his recievers that second to complete their route. Is the chance greter that he will get hurt? Yes, but after completing a couple of those passes, you've already generated your own best preotection, because a "smart" DC is gonna bring less blitzes if he is getting burned. I dunno, just what this armchair coach sees.