X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hwc
    • Aug 2003

Bills Blitzing according to Belichick

According to Belichick's press conference today, a review of the game film showed that the Bills blitzed Brady on 42 of 60 plays yesterday and most of those were six man blitzes.

Belichick indicated that he was reasonably pleased with the way the Pats picked up the blitz packages. No sacks.
    Last edited by hwc; 10-04-2004, 06:06 PM.
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

What does that say about our passrushing and why the hell wasn't this addressed in the offseason.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

I wonder if the no sacks could also be attributed to the fact that his QB can:
      • ...move more than 3 inches to the left or right
      • ...make a decision to throw the ball in less than 10 mins

Comment

• mchurchfie
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
        I wonder if the no sacks could also be attributed to the fact that his QB can:
        • ...move more than 3 inches to the left or right
        • ...make a decision to throw the ball in less than 10 mins
        That is probably most of it but if a team blitzes 42 times and can't even get one sack, something is extremely wrong.
        My Band
        daveviterna.com

Comment

• Dozerdog
          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mchurchfie
          What does that say about our passrushing and why the hell wasn't this addressed in the offseason.

It tells me that a good offensive line, with RBs that can actually read the Blitz and pick up and block the blitzer- are very effective.

And a QB who can make quick decisions /confident throws. He made some passes to guys who were well covered and they still made the catch.

Comment

• hwc
            • Aug 2003

Belichick also said that any good quarterback (and he includes T. Brady in that) LOVES when a team blitzes that much. It leaves man-on-man coverage downfield and opens up opportunities for big pass plays.

The Pats were ready for the blitzing yesterday -- they had seen almost the same amount of blitzing from the Bills on game film from the most recent game.

Belichick also said that their gameplan was to throw deep against the blitz. His reasoning is that, if they are going to cover you man-on-man, there isn't much point in throwing the ball 2 yards across the line of scrimmage. Might as well try to hit some deep stuff if they are going to give you coverages to exploit.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by hwc
              Belichick also said that any good quarterback (and he includes T. Brady in that) LOVES when a team blitzes that much.
              Key word here being "good".

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by hwc
                Belichick also said that any good quarterback (and he includes T. Brady in that) LOVES when a team blitzes that much. It leaves man-on-man coverage downfield and opens up opportunities for big pass plays.

The Pats were ready for the blitzing yesterday -- they had seen almost the same amount of blitzing from the Bills on game film from the most recent game.

Belichick also said that their gameplan was to throw deep against the blitz. His reasoning is that, if they are going to cover you man-on-man, there isn't much point in throwing the ball 2 yards across the line of scrimmage. Might as well try to hit some deep stuff if they are going to give you coverages to exploit.

Overall, Brady's been sacked what, 4 times?

What amazed me was on 1st and 35, the completion he made there was outstanding- the difference between us and them - and most of the rest of the league and them- is that they have so much confidence he will throw to a guy that has a DB draped all over them.

Comment

• hwc
                  • Aug 2003

Belichick said that he was pretty excited to convert a 1st and 35 play! He added, "We don't have many 1st and 35 plays in our playbook...."

BTW, on this blitzing thing. Notice that Belichick didn't blitz Bledsoe much until garbage time when the Bills were forced to pass. Belichick never blitzes Manning. He hates blitzing QBs who can make you pay downfield. He'll blitz in the redzone because you have nothing to lose and it's worth the gamble to push the offense back out of scoring range. But, he doesn't blitz much between the 20s unless it's a rookie QB.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                    Maybe?
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                    What amazed me was on 1st and 35, the completion he made there was outstanding- the difference between us and them - and most of the rest of the league and them- is that they have so much confidence he will throw to a guy that has a DB draped all over them.
                    Agreed. Another difference..BIG difference...is that Brady throws to spots and lets the WRs run to them and catch it. Say what you will but Flutie was the same way. Drew on the other hand is like RJ....he waits, waits, waits until the WRs is completely open with nobody within 10 yards. But by that time he is either sacked or the DB adjusts and gets the INT.

Comment

• bobbyc39
                      • Oct 2004

Yes, I also solely blame Drew Bledsoe for not getting rid of the ball before it gets in his hands and especially the collapse of the right side of the offensive line. Boy is he terrible... he sucks so badly that he only threw 2 out of 2 perfect 40+ yard passes. What a bum.. bring on the CHICAGO BEARS throw away quarterback Shane Matthews.

Comment

• hwc
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                        Agreed. Another difference..BIG difference...is that Brady throws to spots and lets the WRs run to them and catch it. Say what you will but Flutie was the same way. Drew on the other hand is like RJ....he waits, waits, waits until the WRs is completely open with nobody within 10 yards. But by that time he is either sacked or the DB adjusts and gets the INT.
                        Yep. This is exactly what Bill Walsh described as Bledsoe's weakness six or seven years ago -- always holding the ball until the receiver had made his cut and, by then, it was too late. He also said that Bledsoe could improve his ability to throw timing routes, but it would take giving up his offseason vacations in order to throw hundreds of balls a day with his wide receivers. Walsh said that was how Montana learned to do it.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bobbyc39
                          Yes, I also solely blame Drew Bledsoe for not getting rid of the ball before it gets in his hands and especially the collapse of the right side of the offensive line. Boy is he terrible... he sucks so badly that he only threw 2 out of 2 perfect 40+ yard passes. What a bum.. bring on the CHICAGO BEARS throw away quarterback Shane Matthews.
                          It is his fault and he is a bumb...good call.
                          My Band
                          daveviterna.com

Comment

• DaBills
                            • Sep 2004

" unless it's a rookie QB."

Or Drew.

"What amazed me was on 1st and 35, the completion he made there was outstanding- the difference between us and them - and most of the rest of the league and them- is that they have so much confidence he will throw to a guy that has a DB draped all over them."

That IMO is key to our problems on both sides of the ball: The 3rd-down conversion rate. Our D allows too many, and our O can't convert them.

We allow too many on D because the secondary gives up too many yards after the catch. We contain on 1st, 2nd, but then give it all back on 3rd. They need to reverse the trend: give up 4 or 5 on 1st, then 3 on second, then nothing on 3rd.

The O can't convert enough because the problem is 50% line (and those that aren't picking up rushers), and 80% Drew. We constantly rush up the middle without great success. Henry is a good North-South guy. He's not a great cutback guy. (That's what we got Willis for.) But Henry does have more success when he runs to the outside. So why aren't they doing it more? ESPECIALLY in the red zone???
                            “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• ScottLawrence
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hwc
                              According to Belichick's press conference today, a review of the game film showed that the Bills blitzed Brady on 42 of 60 plays yesterday and most of those were six man blitzes.

Belichick indicated that he was reasonably pleased with the way the Pats picked up the blitz packages. No sacks.

Just goes to show how good Brady is at avoiding the rush.

The Carolina Panthers best defensive line in the NFL didn't even sniff Brady in the superbowl either.
                              You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X