PDA

View Full Version : Unfocused, Undisciplined, and Unthinking

Jan Reimers
10-05-2004, 09:39 AM
These Bills have made my rehab very easy. I have been able to break my emotional bond to them and become more of a casual fan, mostly because they play so mindlessly at those key junctures when games are won and lost.

They invariably completely fail to execute, or commit a mind numbing penalty, almost every time the offense needs a crucial play. The defense couldn't stop a critical third down with an elephant gun and a box of grenades.

And the veteran leaders are leading the stupidity parade. Fletcher runs around comitting witless fouls like a man on crack. Schobel must be too busy dreaming about his new contract to make a sack. Henry runs the wrong play, Moulds drops the key pass, Bledsoe crumbles like a rag doll. And on and on.

This team talks large and plays small. It has little heart and less chemistry. We are now 17-34 on Donahoe's watch, and going the wrong way fast.

But it makes watching the games easy. I expect these Bills to mindlessly self-destruct at every key moment, and they don't disappoint me.

Pride
10-05-2004, 09:44 AM
:bf1:

Earthquake Enyart
10-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Don't worry Jan. They just have a couple of small mistakes to fix, then they'll be alright.

lunatic_bills_fan
10-05-2004, 09:59 AM
they're all "correctable" mistakes.

Mr. Cynical
10-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Agreed. Fire TD and you've "corrected" the first mistake. :D

Mr. Miyagi
10-05-2004, 12:03 PM
I thought it was all Lindell's fault. :huh:

HAMMER
10-05-2004, 12:35 PM

The same correctable mistakes from last year. It's not the coaching folks, it's the players.

Mr. Cynical
10-05-2004, 12:41 PM
The same correctable mistakes from last year. It's not the coaching folks, it's the players.To your point, Gilbride's offense had a 25 pts per game average after 3 games last year, and a 15 ppg avg for the year. So far we're at 12.3 ppg. What is the only difference from last year? The coaches. If KG was so bad, and the players so good, we'd have seen improvement. Since we haven't, well ... 2+2=4. (unless we want to say both coaching staffs suck)

Which brings us back to the person who brought in these players. He needs to go.

ryjam282
10-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Jan, that is one of the best posts I have read since joining this forum...Nice job putting into perspective.

Rep points....

Tatonka
10-05-2004, 12:44 PM
These Bills have made my rehab very easy. I have been able to break my emotional bond to them and become more of a casual fan, mostly because they play so mindlessly at those key junctures when games are won and lost.

They invariably completely fail to execute, or commit a mind numbing penalty, almost every time the offense needs a crucial play. The defense couldn't stop a critical third down with an elephant gun and a box of grenades.

And the veteran leaders are leading the stupidity parade. Fletcher runs around comitting witless fouls like a man on crack. Schobel must be too busy dreaming about his new contract to make a sack. Henry runs the wrong play, Moulds drops the key pass, Bledsoe crumbles like a rag doll. And on and on.

This team talks large and plays small. It has little heart and less chemistry. We are now 17-34 on Donahoe's watch, and going the wrong way fast.

But it makes watching the games easy. I expect these Bills to mindlessly self-destruct at every key moment, and they don't disappoint me.

great post.

Iehoshua
10-05-2004, 12:47 PM

Incredibly sad post because it's incredibly right on the money.
:sad:

ScottLawrence
10-05-2004, 01:22 PM
To your point, Gilbride's offense had a 25 pts per game average after 3 games last year, and a 15 ppg avg for the year. So far we're at 12.3 ppg. What is the only difference from last year? The coaches. If KG was so bad, and the players so good, we'd have seen improvement. Since we haven't, well ... 2+2=4. (unless we want to say both coaching staffs suck)

Which brings us back to the person who brought in these players. He needs to go.

Im sorry to say, he won't go.

He sells tickets. And, I think thats all Ralph Wilson cares for.

Jan Reimers
10-05-2004, 03:57 PM
The same correctable mistakes from last year. It's not the coaching folks, it's the players.
I totally agree. I'm beginning to think that Williams and Gilbride were not quite as bad as we all thought. Or if MM is a loser, too, TD has a real penchant for hiring horrible coaches.

But it's definitely the players. We do have a below average O line and an immobile QB, which is a recipe for sour offensive football, but that is not our primary problem. Josh Reed needs to go to the bench, and Milloy needs to get well soon (Wire gets burned more than my wife's cooking), but that's not the main problem, either.

We simply have a lot of physically talented players who, collectively, do not bring out the best in each other. There are few winners on this team, and even fewer guys who can remain calm enough and focused enough in the clutch to make the big play, or avoid the mindless mistake.

We are a group of talented individuals who play poorly as a team. I think we have the wrong mix to ever be anything but mediocre.

shelby
10-05-2004, 07:53 PM
I thought it was all Lindell's fault. :huh:
No..it's all Coy Wire's fault.:doh:

Cntrygal
10-05-2004, 08:30 PM

I told one of the guys at work that Raiders and Pats probably would have won by a larger margin if they had just gotten off the field and out of the way. We are capable of beating ourselves without their interference. It's almost as though they are convinced that they can't and SHOULDN'T win. So when they actually do something the right way, they need to screw it up in a MAJOR way.

Mr. Cynical
10-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Im sorry to say, he won't go.

He sells tickets. And, I think thats all Ralph Wilson cares for.Unfortunately for us, the Bills and anyone else besides Ralph and TD....you're probably right.

Still, I have to believe when we have not had a winning season again for the 4th year in a row, and most likely a 5th, that sales will start to decline. I mean, that would be 2 playoff appearances in 9 years since Kelly left....something has to give.

Charlieguide
10-05-2004, 11:08 PM
There's absolutely no question that Gilbride was a poor OC, and GW a poor HC. Here's why:

Gilbride's system was based primarily on creating and exploiting favorable matchups. It succeeded early because we had the players to create those matchups: Moulds, Price, Reed, Riemersma, and Centers were all viable -- if not dangerous -- threats in the passing game. But when we lost the personnel (three of the five), he failed to evolve the offense because, by his own admittance, he thought it should continue to work if it worked before. KG also fell too much in love with the passing game and gimmicky plays, and ignored Henry's ability. Remember 4.5ypc, 4:00 to go, down by 4, and he passes? Passes on third and short?

GW had similar problems, and more. His major flaw was his inability to adjust. He and/or his coordinators made poor adjustments in-game. They also tried to force their players into systems, instead of developing systems to fit their players (see KG above, and also witness the dismantling of Cottrell's #2 defense). Also, like Mike Mularkey, Williams had trouble getting his players to play mistake-free football.

Mularkey has had trouble with the latter, but it looks like he may do better than GW in finding systems to fit his players . . . Jerry Gray has some major adjustments to make. Reports are, MM doubled the film meetings Monday in response to his displeasure with the team's execution. Hopefully, he gets through.

Big M
10-06-2004, 04:39 AM
Gilbride wasn't bad ?...right. That's like saying AIDS is bad, so lets go back to Cancer. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Mularkey actually does have some options. Losman, Evans, MaGahee etc.
Make some hard decisons on players who come up small in crunchtime and give these guys a chance. 0-3 and it's only going to get worse. Let's get a look at our future.