Unfocused, Undisciplined, and Unthinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Unfocused, Undisciplined, and Unthinking

These Bills have made my rehab very easy. I have been able to break my emotional bond to them and become more of a casual fan, mostly because they play so mindlessly at those key junctures when games are won and lost.

They invariably completely fail to execute, or commit a mind numbing penalty, almost every time the offense needs a crucial play. The defense couldn't stop a critical third down with an elephant gun and a box of grenades.

And the veteran leaders are leading the stupidity parade. Fletcher runs around comitting witless fouls like a man on crack. Schobel must be too busy dreaming about his new contract to make a sack. Henry runs the wrong play, Moulds drops the key pass, Bledsoe crumbles like a rag doll. And on and on.

This team talks large and plays small. It has little heart and less chemistry. We are now 17-34 on Donahoe's watch, and going the wrong way fast.

But it makes watching the games easy. I expect these Bills to mindlessly self-destruct at every key moment, and they don't disappoint me.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
      Legendary Zoner
      • Jul 2002

Don't worry Jan. They just have a couple of small mistakes to fix, then they'll be alright.

Comment

• lunatic_bills_fan
        • Oct 2002

they're all "correctable" mistakes.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
          Maybe?
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
          Agreed. Fire TD and you've "corrected" the first mistake.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

I thought it was all Lindell's fault.

Comment

• HAMMER
              I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
              The same correctable mistakes from last year. It's not the coaching folks, it's the players.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                Maybe?
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by HAMMER
                The same correctable mistakes from last year. It's not the coaching folks, it's the players.
                To your point, Gilbride's offense had a 25 pts per game average after 3 games last year, and a 15 ppg avg for the year. So far we're at 12.3 ppg. What is the only difference from last year? The coaches. If KG was so bad, and the players so good, we'd have seen improvement. Since we haven't, well ... 2+2=4. (unless we want to say both coaching staffs suck)

Which brings us back to the person who brought in these players. He needs to go.

Comment

• ryjam282
                  Offical Billszone Starting QB
                  • Mar 2003

Jan, that is one of the best posts I have read since joining this forum...Nice job putting into perspective.

Rep points....

Ryan Withey
                  Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    These Bills have made my rehab very easy. I have been able to break my emotional bond to them and become more of a casual fan, mostly because they play so mindlessly at those key junctures when games are won and lost.

They invariably completely fail to execute, or commit a mind numbing penalty, almost every time the offense needs a crucial play. The defense couldn't stop a critical third down with an elephant gun and a box of grenades.

And the veteran leaders are leading the stupidity parade. Fletcher runs around comitting witless fouls like a man on crack. Schobel must be too busy dreaming about his new contract to make a sack. Henry runs the wrong play, Moulds drops the key pass, Bledsoe crumbles like a rag doll. And on and on.

This team talks large and plays small. It has little heart and less chemistry. We are now 17-34 on Donahoe's watch, and going the wrong way fast.

But it makes watching the games easy. I expect these Bills to mindlessly self-destruct at every key moment, and they don't disappoint me.
                    great post.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Iehoshua
                      • Jan 2003

Incredibly sad post because it's incredibly right on the money.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                        To your point, Gilbride's offense had a 25 pts per game average after 3 games last year, and a 15 ppg avg for the year. So far we're at 12.3 ppg. What is the only difference from last year? The coaches. If KG was so bad, and the players so good, we'd have seen improvement. Since we haven't, well ... 2+2=4. (unless we want to say both coaching staffs suck)

Which brings us back to the person who brought in these players. He needs to go.

Im sorry to say, he won't go.

He sells tickets. And, I think thats all Ralph Wilson cares for.
                        You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by HAMMER
                          I totally agree. I'm beginning to think that Williams and Gilbride were not quite as bad as we all thought. Or if MM is a loser, too, TD has a real penchant for hiring horrible coaches.

But it's definitely the players. We do have a below average O line and an immobile QB, which is a recipe for sour offensive football, but that is not our primary problem. Josh Reed needs to go to the bench, and Milloy needs to get well soon (Wire gets burned more than my wife's cooking), but that's not the main problem, either.

We simply have a lot of physically talented players who, collectively, do not bring out the best in each other. There are few winners on this team, and even fewer guys who can remain calm enough and focused enough in the clutch to make the big play, or avoid the mindless mistake.

We are a group of talented individuals who play poorly as a team. I think we have the wrong mix to ever be anything but mediocre.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• shelby
                            The Vanilla admin
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                            I thought it was all Lindell's fault.
                            No..it's all Coy Wire's fault.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                              • Jul 2002

I told one of the guys at work that Raiders and Pats probably would have won by a larger margin if they had just gotten off the field and out of the way. We are capable of beating ourselves without their interference. It's almost as though they are convinced that they can't and SHOULDN'T win. So when they actually do something the right way, they need to screw it up in a MAJOR way.
                              Originally posted by notacon
                              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X