PDA

View Full Version : When did you "turn" on Bledsoe?

Drewpac
10-05-2004, 11:15 AM
I'll start. I officially jumped off the Bledsoe bandwagon on 12/8/02 after Buffalo's 2nd loss to NE. It was the first game that we lost solely because of Bledsoe. I remember him throwing that interception in the endzone directly at the Pats player and thinking, "This dude just cannot handle the pressure. He cannot make a sound decision in 'crunchtime.'"

I officially moved into the "hater" column two weeks later at GB. That game is, to this day, the most putrid game I have ever seen a QB play. We were still mathematically in the Wild Card hunt and he couldn't lead our offense to a single score against a very mediocre Packers defense. I think he lost like 4 fumbles and was sacked 10 times. I will always remember it as the true birth of Bledsoe's "Statue" phase.

Forgive me for beating a dead horse, but I'm incredibly bored. So tell me, when did you "turn" on Bledsoe?

Rude American
10-05-2004, 11:19 AM
I haven't. I still like him. But I don't see too many games.... none, actually. But we suck as a whole. It aint just him.

Iehoshua
10-05-2004, 11:21 AM
I was at Lambeau for the GB game. Very friggin' cold! I honestly thought we had a decent chance to win, until Bledsoe found a way to fumble. Throwing a pick into the endzone to Darren Sharper (who got laid out and injured for being a dummy and taking it out) early in the game didn't help either.

I don't think there is one point in time where I "joined the Dark Side", it's been more of a progression. I think my hate was in full swing in late '03. My stance since the end of last season has been that he is finished as a QB for us. I believe it would take the tutelage of Parcells himself to save Drew at this point.

Drewpac
10-05-2004, 11:22 AM
I haven't. I still like him. But I don't see too many games.... none, actually. But we suck as a whole. It aint just him.

Sorry, but how do you know that we suck as a whole if you don't watch any games? (though I agree that we suck in many areas besides QB play)

And I haven't turned on Drew personally. He seems like a great guy. I just hate him as a football player.

Iehoshua
10-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Sorry, but how do you know that we suck as a whole if you don't watch any games? (though I agree that we suck in many areas besides QB play)

And I haven't turned on Drew personally. He seems like a great guy. I just hate him as a football player.

I agree, without seeing games your opinion is baseless.

I also agree that Drew is a great guy. Off the field seems like he's an outstanding human being.

On the field, it's just not there anymore.

Earthquake Enyart
10-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Third quarter of the Raider game is the first time the thought crossed my head to pull him.

Valerie
10-05-2004, 11:30 AM
I never really had any feelings for him one way or the other. He was here and the quarterback, so I supported him. He's still here and right now I don't see any alternatives. There seems to be a lack of really good quarterbacks nowadays, I don't think it's just Drew.

Iehoshua
10-05-2004, 11:34 AM
There seems to be a lack of really good quarterbacks nowadays, I don't think it's just Drew.

Absolutely true! Great ones are very rare.

I do believe we have a great one on the roster now recovering from a broken leg.

I believe! :father:

Mr. Miyagi
10-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Two days ago. :mad:

Pride
10-05-2004, 12:01 PM
3rd Quarter of the Raiders game. It hit me like a ton of bricks...

He just doesnt have it...

DraftBoy
10-05-2004, 12:02 PM
I never wanted him here from the beginning there were a few others with me on that, only one I can think of was Wys, but there were others too....So I officially jumped off the Bledsoe wagon before it began??

Uncle Jesse
10-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Havent given up on him yet, i gave up on the offensive line after week 1 though, i think there alot worse than the QB, and our defense can't stop big and long 4th and 3rd downs, pass coverage is terrible, its def. not just drew bledsoe, i think its easy to blame it on the QB but not in the Bills case. Sure hes played way below expectiations, but remeber drew doesnt play defense.

Pride
10-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Dont lose sight that the score was 17-31, but the offense STILL only scored 10 points. That will NOT get it done in the NFL

finsrclowns
10-05-2004, 12:13 PM
I officially moved into the "hater" column two weeks later at GB. That game is, to this day, the most putrid game I have ever seen a QB play. We were still mathematically in the Wild Card hunt and he couldn't lead our offense to a single score against a very mediocre Packers defense. I think he lost like 4 fumbles and was sacked 10 times. I will always remember it as the true birth of Bledsoe's "Statue" phase.

That game turned you on Bledsoe? :funny: They don't cancel football games because of weather, but if they did that game might have been called because of cold. Check out Favre's stats from that game, pretty similar to Bledsoe, both pathetic. The funny thing was, Favre was picked and we were about to run back what would have been the games only TD but the refs choked the call and said it wasn't a catch and then blew the whistle. GB scored the only TD shortly after that.

ryjam282
10-05-2004, 12:41 PM
3rd Quarter of the Raiders game. It hit me like a ton of bricks...

He just doesnt have it...

I have to agree. That is when my hatred started brewing.

Iehoshua
10-05-2004, 12:42 PM
The funny thing was, Favre was picked and we were about to run back what would have been the games only TD but the refs choked the call and said it wasn't a catch and then blew the whistle. GB scored the only TD shortly after that.

It was a fumble recovery, Ahman Green caught it, made a few stutter steps, then fumbled it but it was ruled an incomplete pass. Otherwise Clements would have taken it to the house. It was replayed and DEFINITELY a completion then a fumble, but the idiot refs whistled it dead and hence could not be challenged.

Bledsoe did nothing to help us get beyond it however, asides turn the ball over.

Mr. Cynical
10-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Dont lose sight that the score was 17-31, but the offense STILL only scored 10 points. That will NOT get it done in the NFLAgreed - I've been saying this since the first game as well.

As for when I "turned"....it's been so long I forgot. :;

Probably midway '03....Houston game or something. I knew at that point we needed to dump him after the season.

Mr. Cynical
10-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Actually I found the thread where I started to "turn". I posted this on 10-12-03:

Sadly I the outcome with Drew in there isn't so funny either. :(

I'm beginning to question him as well, which is sad, since he is a great guy and fits well in Buffalo. But if you really look hard at his career, this is the essence of Bledsoe..up, down....up, down...etc. I think we are in for 2 more years of pain before the toilet is flushed again and we have to start over.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=29939&highlight=drew+

Drewpac
10-05-2004, 01:21 PM
That game turned you on Bledsoe? :funny: They don't cancel football games because of weather, but if they did that game might have been called because of cold. Check out Favre's stats from that game, pretty similar to Bledsoe, both pathetic. The funny thing was, Favre was picked and we were about to run back what would have been the games only TD but the refs choked the call and said it wasn't a catch and then blew the whistle. GB scored the only TD shortly after that.

Cold weather doesn't make you lose 4 fumbles and take 6 sacks. Favre sucked as well but at least he came through in the clutch with the TD pass to Driver to put it away.

I think the reason it caused so much hatred in me was that we still had a shot at the playoffs at the time; yet Bledsoe came up so woefully short when we needed him the most. I just realized that the guy would never be a winner.

Jeff1220
10-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Over the course of last year being so bad, I and many others continually bashed Gilbride. His play calling sucked - 1&10: Pass; 3&1: Pass; etc. I continued to hope that Drew's struggles had more to do with Gilbride's inept game plans, not the QBs fading skills.
After 3 weeks of seeing Drew under Mularkey and Clements (who the jury is out on still...and how!), I've realized that it comes down to this: No OC or HC can help Drew now. For me, all hope for him was lost in the 2nd Qtr of the Raiders game. He looked like such a freakin' amateur out there. We hear the cliches like "deer in the headlights" so often that they lose some of their effect, but that is exactly how Drew looks out there. When he has time, he makes bad throws. When he doesn't, he has absolutely no answer for the pressure (a quick release, a side-step, etc.).
I don't think that Gilbride deserves an apology because I'm still sure that he sucks, but he definitely didn't deserve quite as much of the blame that was placed on him.
I'm so ready for the future.

Tatonka
10-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Third quarter of the Raider game is the first time the thought crossed my head to pull him.

yeah.. the raiders game in 2002 :;

right after he gave the game away by throwing a pick that a rookie cb took to the house.. buchanan owned him.. and bledsoe barely ran after him.

i really started to have serious doubts right then.

but it was fresh off the heals of the vikings game, which was what got most bills fans to love him.

Earthquake Enyart
10-05-2004, 02:03 PM

right after he gave the game away by throwing a pick that a rookie cb took to the house.. buchanan owned him.. and bledsoe barely ran after him.

but it was fresh off the heals of the vikings game, which was what got most bills fans to love him.
Well to me, there was always hope. There was Gilbride to blame last year. I hoped this year would be different. The Jags game we were ahead the whole game, but in the Raider game, when we were behind, I just got this sinking feeling that he couldn't do it. And that was the first time I really felt this way.

The_Philster
10-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Well to me, there was always hope. There was Gilbride to blame last year. I hoped this year would be different. The Jags game we were ahead the whole game, but in the Raider game, when we were behind, I just got this sinking feeling that he couldn't do it. And that was the first time I really felt this way.
same here...he just doesn't seem to have any confidence left...I don't know if he can get it back

Iehoshua
10-05-2004, 04:37 PM

:eek:
I was at that game too!

Mr. Cynical
10-05-2004, 05:30 PM
same here...he just doesn't seem to have any confidence left...I don't know if he can get it back:eek:

:;

TigerJ
10-05-2004, 05:47 PM
I began to say last November that I would like to see Buffalo go in a different direction at QB. When Buffalo redid his contract, I thought, "OK he's our QB, I'll support him and hope that with the new coaching staff he can be fixed." I think he is better than last year. He's getting rid of the ball faster. However, everything is falling appart when the opposing team is blitzing. Part of that is Drew, who is clearly unable to step asside to avoid a blitzer. Part of the blame also goes to the running backs and or the scheme. I'm not sure whether the running backs are deliberately not picking up blitzers because the plan is to get them in a position to catch an outlet pass sooner or they just arent executing, but it's clearly not working. Given all that, I would not mind at all if when it becomes a little more clear the Bills aren't making the playoffs that Losman gets a shot.

The_Philster
10-05-2004, 06:07 PM
:eek:

:;
I've noted his problems before...I just don't think it's something that needs to be repeated ad nauseum. To some people, unless you're pointing out Bledsoe's problems in every other one of your posts, you're a blind worshipper or something :idunno:

The Natrix
10-05-2004, 06:18 PM
I didn't want him to be brought in to begin with, but I warmed up to the idea after the trade was official. I turned my back on him for good after the Green Bay game towards the end of the 2002 season.

ajsdx
10-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Actually I found the thread where I started to "turn". I posted this on 10-12-03:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=29939&highlight=drew+

Man, those were the days...weren't you called "kal" back then?

Mr. Cynical
10-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Man, those were the days...weren't you called "kal" back then?
Yep. Had to change it because those are my initials and I didn't want people at work to figure that out, and then see posts during the day. :;

ajsdx
10-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Yep. Had to change it because those are my initials and I didn't want people at work to figure that out, and then see posts during the day. :;

Hahaha. What's wrong with that? It's in the spirit of all true americans to slack off during work, and then ***** about how immigrants are taking all our jobs. And will you guys quit using Calvin as your avatars? Let a retired 6-year-old rest!

illusionone
10-05-2004, 10:35 PM
I still believe :-)http://www.siteaboutnothing.com/images/i-want-to-believe.jpg

HenryRules
10-05-2004, 11:00 PM
I don't know if "turned" is the right word.

My problem is not so much with Bledsoe, it's with his fit on the team, and since the team for this season only got finalized at the end of the offseason, that was when I started to question it.

- Drew needs a really good OL. We don't have one and never even pretended to try and assemble one.
- Mularkey's only sustained success as an OC has been with Kordell as his QB. Bledsoe does not have similar talents at all to Kordell (I think Bledsoe can succeed in more offenses than Kordell, but that doesn't mean Kordell doesn't have some skills that Drew doesn't have- mobility being most obvious). The only QB that Mularkey has worked with that's similar in skills to Bledsoe is Maddox. Maddox and Mularkey was a combo similar to Bledsoe/Gilbride - 8 great games and 24 crappy ones.

So I still think that in a good situation, Bledsoe can succeed ... I just think that TD refuses to put him in one. I know he's not, but it's as if TD is sitting back and saying, "I've got enough money - this Bledsoe guy pissed me off when he knocked one of my better Steelers teams out of the playoffs ('96), so I'm going to pick him up and completely destroy his career by putting him in a position to fail."