• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

McGee may move into a starting job

October 5, 2004) — ORCHARD PARK — Tom Brady is in the rear view mirror, but now red-hot New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington looms dead ahead for the Buffalo Bills, and they'll have to face the AFC's second-ranked passer without two veteran defensive backs.

Cornerback Troy Vincent, who suffered a right knee injury in the loss to New England Sunday and underwent arthroscopic surgery Monday, has joined injured strong safety Lawyer Milloy on the sideline.

Vincent is expected to miss at least a couple of weeks and probably more, so it appears second-year man Terrence McGee will get the start.

"If he's not able to play, I'll look to be out there," said McGee, who stepped in for Vincent against the Patriots and had six tackles, two pass breakups and a near interception in the end zone.

"I feel like I'm ready. The only thing I need to work on is the little things. Don't do my own thing, just play the defense. I've really got to focus this week in practice so I'm ready for the game Sunday."

McGee, who enjoyed a big day on special teams as he returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown, has seen a lot of playing time thus far in nickel and dime packages, and he started two games as a rookie when the Bills opened games against the Giants and Patriots in that defense.

But this will be his first true start in the base defense, and while coach Mike Mularkey thinks he's up for it, he added that McGee still has some technical issues to work out.

"Terrence is a guy who has not played a lot as a corner, and especially at that position, you better have a lot of experience and have a feel for watching tape and the ins and outs of what the guy over you is going to do," Mularkey said.

"There were some little technique things yesterday (Sunday) that caught Terrence and allowed some of those crossing routes to happen. But hopefully with experience and the more he plays, the better he'll get because he definitely has the athletic ability to be an effective corner."

One man in particular thinks McGee may already be there — Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

"McGee killed us," said Belichick, referring not only to McGee's prowess on kick returns but his play in the secondary. "He's a really good player, a good player on defense and a really good player on kickoffs."

Belichick sought out McGee on the field after the game to tell him that.

"He was telling me that I gave him hell," said McGee. "He told me what a good athlete I was. I was surprised that he came up to me, shook my hand and told me that. I thought he'd be doing something else besides coming to me and telling me how good I played."

more...

Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 10-05-2004, 12:49 PM.
  • Iehoshua
    • Jan 2003

Heh, all this means is Billy Boy has McGee on his future aquisition list. What better way to make a player want to play for you down the road? Belichick is a genious in more ways than one.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Darth Buffalo
      Heh, all this means is Billy Boy has McGee on his future aquisition list. What better way to make a player want to play for you down the road? Belichick is a genious in more ways than one.
      Ack. That's a good point.

If f***ing BB poaches our few good players after dumping his garbage on us, I'm going to send him hate mail for the rest of his life.
      Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 10-05-2004, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Pride
        • Jul 2002

I hope we cut Vincent or at least move him to FS, and keep McGee. We dont have many PURE athletes on this team. McGee, Evans, and Mooreman about about it.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
          Maybe?
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Pride
          I hope we cut Vincent or at least move him to FS, and keep McGee. We dont have many PURE athletes on this team. McGee, Evans, and Mooreman about about it.
          Agreed.

Comment

• Iehoshua
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Pride
            If McGee excels in the starting role, I say its a no-brainer to move Vincent to FS. With Milloy coming back, our defense would be that much better. More importantly, NO COY WIRE!

Comment

Working...
            X