Boy, the Giants OL Looks MUCH Better than Last Year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Boy, the Giants OL Looks MUCH Better than Last Year.

They are running the ball with authority, and their statue QB, Kurt Warner, isn't taking all that many sacks. Wonder who their OL coach is? He's much better than the one they had last year.
  • ryjam282
    Offical Billszone Starting QB
    • Mar 2003

I don't know....I just think it is safe to say that we have less talent they they did last year. He has repeadtedly said he is not a miracle worker. I expect them to get better though as things progress.

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

excellent point.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Hemlepp53
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ryjam282
        I don't know....I just think it is safe to say that we have less talent they they did last year. He has repeadtedly said he is not a miracle worker. I expect them to get better though as things progress.
        Well said. I assume you are refering to our OL coach when you say "He has repeadtedly said he is not a miracle worker." I agree with him and you both.. LoL he isnt a mairacle worker but it looks like we need one. The Giants O-Line is making Warrner look like a Pro Bowler again. He has all day in the pocket and happens fit the Giants Offensive Gameplan as well. One can not compare Warrner to Bledsoe or the Giants O-LINE To Buffalos... Two different teams on two different Schemes... Our time will come.. our Coaching staff is young.. but I can honestly say they seem to be hungery... Time will tell how we pan out. I agree I expect them to better themselves over time.. I mean from last weeks game compared to the first two things looked improved...
        @Hemlepp53

Comment

• Valerie
          Saving the World One Signature at a Time!
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
          They are running the ball with authority, and their statue QB, Kurt Warner, isn't taking all that many sacks. Wonder who their OL coach is? He's much better than the one they had last year.
          It's John Hufnagel. He used to be a quarterback coach for the Patriots (2003), Jacksonville (2002) and Indianapolis (2001). He also coached in the CFL and Arena football.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
          Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
          The only answer I found for all this hurt
          Is there ain't not answer here on earth

Comment

• Hemlepp53
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Valerie
            It's John Hufnagel. He used to be a quarterback coach for the Patriots (2003), Jacksonville (2002) and Indianapolis (2001). He also coached in the CFL and Arena football.

WoW.. I Love A Woman Who Knows Her Football Espically Her Bills Football... I Honestly think that was the most impressive thing I've heard a WOMAN say!!! ...

@Hemlepp53

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Hemlepp53
              Well said. I assume you are refering to our OL coach when you say "He has repeadtedly said he is not a miracle worker." I agree with him and you both.. LoL he isnt a mairacle worker but it looks like we need one. The Giants O-Line is making Warrner look like a Pro Bowler again. He has all day in the pocket and happens fit the Giants Offensive Gameplan as well. One can not compare Warrner to Bledsoe or the Giants O-LINE To Buffalos... Two different teams on two different Schemes... Our time will come.. our Coaching staff is young.. but I can honestly say they seem to be hungery... Time will tell how we pan out. I agree I expect them to better themselves over time.. I mean from last weeks game compared to the first two things looked improved...
              I'm no Giants fan, but I don't remember them picking up a high priced OL FA, or drafting one high. Seems to be about the same crowd they had last year.

Comment

• Hemlepp53
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                I'm no Giants fan, but I don't remember them picking up a high priced OL FA, or drafting one high. Seems to be about the same crowd they had last year.
                I think your right they didnt pick anyone up that is a high draft pick or high priced Offensiveline man... They just got the Scheme down and are rolling it up and running with what works...
                @Hemlepp53

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Well, that Tom Coughlin is a heck of a coach. They have a scheme that fits their solid running attack and their classic drop back passer. And he built a good staff!

Comment

• R. Rich
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ryjam282
                    He has repeadtedly said he is not a miracle worker.

Too bad Donahoe seems to think he is.

I even emailed McNally and Tyke Tolbert about this after the draft. I mentioned that I don't know why we didn't feel the need to draft a quality OL early on (there were plenty of decent interior OL that could've been had in the 2nd and even 3rd round). I mean, Tolbert was able to help mold Anquan Boldin into a Pro Bowl wideout and had more talent to work with IMO. Even considering their struggles, I still feel Josh Reed is a better WR than either Pussywillow or Teague is as an interior OL. Even though Tolbert was able to work wonders with Boldin, we still felt a need to get a WR early. Okay, fine. Now, why didn't we next look to upgrade the OL? We have an immobile QB, so, to me, having a rock solid interior OL should be top priority. Why did we think McNally was the cure-all there, yet Tolbert needed more talent?

Comment

• TedMock
                      • Jul 2002

In all fairness, the Giants team was in complete turmoil last year. They rebelled against the coach, and players were fighting with each other. That's because Fassel had wore out his welcome. As far as anybody questioning McNally, wait. He's the same guy who turned a crap o-line into a superbowl o-line just a couple of years ago. The head coach got soft, the team turned on him. It's not the line coach's fault, but as we all know...when it rains it pours. Give this guy just a little talent and he'll make a difference. The problem is that many figured a great o-line coach would turn chicken s**t into chicken salad. Everybody was excited because of McNally's proven track record. Things don't happen overnight. Yes, we've been waiting for some time now, but when you bring in a new staff you have to be patient all over again. It sucks and it's VERY painful, but it'll turn around. If we were losing every game 31-3, I'd be less optimistic. The fact that we have a horrible line with an immobile QB isn't helping either. We have a couple of linemen or a mobile QB, we're 3-0. Well, there are a bunch "if's" that we can come up with. I just can't blame the coaching staff at this point for lack of talent or even play calling. The one thing I'm peeved about is the lack of discipline. This is where Mularky really needs to improve. There have been some calls that I haven't liked, but overall I really believe he's been calling good games. Even the bootleg (I know everybody hated the call) wasn't as terrible as the papers are saying. A missed block and Henry running through the wrong hole were more of a factor than the call itself. Bledsoe's 6'5", he could've fallen down and got two yards. Again, IF the block was made and IF Henry's head wasn't up his a**. We'll never know.
                      Last edited by TedMock; 10-06-2004, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Hufnagel is an excellent coach, but he left the Patriots to be the Giants Offensive Coordinator.

The Giants OL coach is Pat Flaherty, who has been with Chicago the last 3 years and Washington for a year before that as a TE coach. However, he was diagnosed with Colon cancer in June and had to cut way back on his duties.

The Giants decided to hire an assistant OL coach to help perform Flaherty's duties while he is battling cancer. You guys might have heard of him: Pat Ruel.

Yeah, the same guy who was OL coach under Gregg Williams.

The Giants did add Barry Stokes and Shaun O'Hara to their OL (both played for Cleveland last season). They also drafted Chris Snee.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                          The Giants decided to hire an assistant OL coach to help perform Flaherty's duties while he is battling cancer. You guys might have heard of him: Pat Ruel.

As I said in my Flagpole column...the Bills have a lot of not so intelligent players on the roster...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                            WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                            • Mar 2003

Actually I was surprised that the Bills line protected Bledsoe so well in the first half. He actually had time. Even after TT went down.

Maybe the Pats were being cute and not blitzing as much as other teams have, I don't know. I do know the long pass was working AND the Bills should have stuck to it.

After the fumble returned for a TD the Oline looked like ****. Sack, Sack, Sack. The team just friggin gave up. It was pitiful. If they score quick, onside kick, who knows? None of them wanted to be out there anymore.

I've said it a thousand times...

average Oline + mobile QB = OK
                            Great Oline + statue QB = OK
                            average (or worse) Oline + statue QB = disaster (league leader in sacks allowed again)
                            Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                              Hufnagel is an excellent coach, but he left the Patriots to be the Giants Offensive Coordinator.

The Giants OL coach is Pat Flaherty, who has been with Chicago the last 3 years and Washington for a year before that as a TE coach. However, he was diagnosed with Colon cancer in June and had to cut way back on his duties.

The Giants did add Barry Stokes and Shaun O'Hara to their OL (both played for Cleveland last season). They also drafted Chris Snee.
                              Boy, this is sweet. Pat freaking Ruel. I didn't know this.

I can see why they robbed that fine Cleveland line from last year. They were monstrous.

And, yeah, they can get away with this since Kurt Warner is sooo mobile.

Comment

Working...
                              X