PDA

View Full Version : Why are people picking up Ricky Williams?

Halbert
10-06-2004, 08:25 AM
Once again after rumblings from Ricky about returning there are FF owners in most leagues running out to pick him up.

My question is why?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ricky "retire" because he got busted for smoking weed for the third time and was facing a year-long ban by the league? The last thing the anal-retentive NFL is going to do is allow some formerly dreadlocked pothead from skirting their rules via a weak technicality.

Sure, I understand that somebody might have a bench spot to burn and they might think why not take a chance. Well with that thinking why not pick up Barry Sanders? He has about as much chance of scoring points for your fantasy team.

clumping platelets
10-06-2004, 08:32 AM
They are :loser:

Ebenezer
10-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Once again after rumblings from Ricky about returning there are FF owners in most leagues running out to pick him up.

My question is why?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ricky "retire" because he got busted for smoking weed for the third time and was facing a year-long ban by the league? The last thing the anal-retentive NFL is going to do is allow some formerly dreadlocked pothead from skirting their rules via a weak technicality.

Sure, I understand that somebody might have a bench spot to burn and they might think why not take a chance. Well with that thinking why not pick up Barry Sanders? He has about as much chance of scoring points for your fantasy team.
he is asking the NFL about his status to come back NEXT season...I could see some in keeper leagues wanting him but that's all.

Halbert
10-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. He's been picked up in like 6 of my 8 CBS teams!

If he does find some loophole and comes back this season I'm going to go postal. lol.

Sabre Ally
10-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Those people would be better off picking up Onterrio Smith since a lot of people are dropping him. At least he'll play again this season.

Halbert
10-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Clarification:

Dolphins: Williams requests eligibility clarification
The News
According to published reports, Ricky Williams has sent a letter to the NFL requesting clarification of his eligibility status should he decide to return to the Dolphins this season. NFL sources reportedly confirmed that they have received such a letter, but would not comment further.
Our View
Well, well, well. It appears that Williams' financial difficulties have led to him re-thinking his stance on retiring from the league. He owes the Dolphins $8.6 million as a result of violating the terms of his contract. Don't get too excited about this. Williams would still face multiple hurdles before returning to the league, even if he wanted to. He was already facing a four-game suspension for a third violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy, and attempting to return less than a year after officially retiring is considered another violation of the policy. A fourth strike would mean an indefinite suspension, which is usually at least a year. We'll let you know more once more information is known, but rest assured that Ricky Williams is not going to be suiting up for the Dolphins any time soon.

Gunzlingr
10-06-2004, 04:01 PM
A buddy of mine told me I should pick him up :eek: I said no thanks.

clumping platelets
10-07-2004, 01:16 AM
He'll play in 2005, but no chance in 2004. Trading deadline is 10/19 and no hearing is even scheduled as of yet