PDA

View Full Version : Bills accuse Patriots LB Wilfork of taking cheap shots

The_Philster
10-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Buffalo's Jonas Jennings and Chris Villarrial accused New England Patriots linebacker Vince Wilfork of taking cheap shots at them.

Bills tackle Jennings said Wednesday that he was still feeling a little lightheaded after sustaining a concussion, the result of a helmet-to-helmet hit from Wilfork behind the play in New England's 31-17 victory Sunday. Jennings said he was blindsided, and that the collision cracked his helmet near the jaw....more (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/10/06/sports1913EDT0255.DTL)

RedEyE
10-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Interesting article, but there is always battles like this being fought in the trenches.

It's kind of funny how much the game has changed. Lineman used to be the toughest in the league, and now they're whining to the press about losing certain battles.

finsrclowns
10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Wilfolk is a DT not a LB. Jennings does sound like he's whining a bit. On the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing a replay of the play he get conked on to see if he has a beef.

But there is no place for kicking a player on the ground. The Bills should send a tape of that to the league and Wilfolk will no doubt be fined for that. And don't think for a minute Villarrial will forget it when we see NE again.

chernobylwraiths
10-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Wilfolk is a DT not a LB. Jennings does sound like he's whining a bit. On the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing a replay of the play he get conked on to see if he has a beef.

But there is no place for kicking a player on the ground. The Bills should send a tape of that to the league and Wilfolk will no doubt be fined for that. And don't think for a minute Villarrial will forget it when we see NE again.

There's no way the Bills should let this rookie get away with that. That's what I mean about the poor officiating. I remember Euhas I think it was get knocked down way after the play by Willie McGinnis right in front of the official. When the official didn't do anything, and Euhas had is hands in the air, McGinnis walked right into his face and clapped his hands, in essence taunting him. I just don't understand it. I have never seen the Baker offsides on the field goal which was as big a play as any in the game. Two missed fumbles, a missed roughing the passer on Fletcher (or should I say they missed the fact that he didn't) and I just can't believe that we are that inept in pass rush that we didn't get a sniff of Brady even while blitzing 6 without any holds.

By the way, they showed the hit Jennings took in superslow motion and it looked really harmless. But that was the only view of it I saw. As I said before, CBS is pathetic at showing replays.

Tatonka
10-06-2004, 09:08 PM
maybe the ****ing line should stop crying like a bunch of *****es and play some football.. trying blocking someone instead of pissing and moaning..

Tatonka
10-06-2004, 09:09 PM
great avatar chern..

:rofl:

eb is gonna ****

NapalmDeath
10-06-2004, 09:15 PM

I like that idea.

Mr. Miyagi
10-06-2004, 09:38 PM
**** the Patriots and their ****ing paid referees. The Bills should send the "kicking" tape to the league office and get that rookie fined.

And you know what? Next time we face it's going to ****ing war. :madcloud:

HenryRules
10-06-2004, 10:11 PM
maybe the ****ing line should stop crying like a bunch of *****es and play some football.. trying blocking someone instead of pissing and moaning..

I agree completely ... I remember when linemen were supposed to be the tough guys on the team. "He kicked me", "he hit me late", blah, blah, blah ... I remember having no respect for the guys on my teams that always complained about/to the refs - I doubt much changes when you get to the NFL.

chernobylwraiths
10-06-2004, 10:25 PM
great avatar chern..

:rofl:

eb is gonna ****

Thanks man. I'm going back to my other one tomorrow. I just saw Mr. Cynical with it this morning and thought it would look funny if we all posted in the same thread, but you guys don't leave the Bills forum much. :D

Besides, Eb didn't have a clue until LOG said something and only then did he look. He has avatars turned off.

RedEyE
10-06-2004, 10:28 PM

:clap:

chernobylwraiths
10-06-2004, 10:29 PM
I agree completely ... I remember when linemen were supposed to be the tough guys on the team. "He kicked me", "he hit me late", blah, blah, blah ... I remember having no respect for the guys on my teams that always complained about/to the refs - I doubt much changes when you get to the NFL.

Well, I think the only reason he complained was the fact that he missed the rest of the game from the cheap shot. I'm sure you wouldn't have heard anything if he didn't miss any time. He brought up Vilarrial because V told him after that he was kicked while he was down. It's not like they are whining, they are pissed because they missed time and our line was worse because of it. Isn't THAT legitimate enough for you?

RedEyE
10-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Well, I think the only reason he complained was the fact that he missed the rest of the game from the cheap shot. I'm sure you wouldn't have heard anything if he didn't miss any time. He brought up Vilarrial because V told him after that he was kicked while he was down. It's not like they are whining, they are pissed because they missed time and our line was worse because of it. Isn't THAT legitimate enough for you?

Man you tell that **** to Deacon Jones and he's guaranteed to head slap you.

chernobylwraiths
10-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Man you tell that **** to Deacon Jones and he's guaranteed to head slap you.

They all got away with a lot more those days.

Is is a coincedence that the line looked a lot crappier when two of the starters were out? All I'm saying is he wanted to go back in and maybe repay with some retribution to the rook and wasn't allowed. He was pissed that he was taken out of the game with what was considered a cheap shot and you guys are jumping on the guy that was knocked out of the game and not the guy who did the dirty play? Are you guys Bills fans or what? New England has one of the dirties players in the game on their team already in Rodney Harrision.

RedEyE
10-06-2004, 10:46 PM
They all got away with a lot more those days.

Is is a coincedence that the line looked a lot crappier when two of the starters were out? All I'm saying is he wanted to go back in and maybe repay with some retribution to the rook and wasn't allowed. He was pissed that he was taken out of the game with what was considered a cheap shot and you guys are jumping on the guy that was knocked out of the game and not the guy who did the dirty play? Are you guys Bills fans or what? New England has one of the dirties players in the game on their team already in Rodney Harrision.

Well I'm hoping that they just get pissed and bring it hard in NE. Right or wrong, it's done, and I really don't want to hear any whining out of a 300+ lb lineman. Balls to the wall. Get yourself back out the and **** em up.

The Upshaws and the DeLamielleures from days of old most certainly would have.

The_Philster
10-07-2004, 03:03 AM
It certainly should be...a cheap shot from Frank Middleton ended Sam Cowart's pro bowl season a month early. There's no reason you can't play hard without breaking the rules as these losers like Wilfork and Middleton did.

Ickybaluky
10-07-2004, 04:23 AM
It certainly should be...a cheap shot from Frank Middleton ended Sam Cowart's pro bowl season a month early. There's no reason you can't play hard without breaking the rules as these losers like Wilfork and Middleton did.

There is no proof Wilfork did anything. I watched the replay of the play Jennings was hurt on on TIVO, and it looked like he turned into Wilfork, not the other way around. It did not appear to be any cheap shot.

I can't comment on the supposed "kicking" incident, but there is no proof anything like that happened. Wilfork has never been accused of anything like that before to the best of my knowledge, either with the Patriots or at the U of Miami.

All the talk about the Patriots having the officials in their pocket is laughable, is it just losers lamenting a loss because they don't like the fact they got beat.

The only thing more laughable is the thought that because Jennings and Villarial think Wilfork cheap-shotted them, they are going to smite the Patriots when they meet again. The only way they will beat the Patriots is to out-play and out-execute them, and all that other stuff ends up having as much impact on the outcome of a game as Takeo Spikes guaranteeing a victory last Sunday.

NapalmDeath
10-07-2004, 04:39 AM
There is no proof Wilfork did anything. I watched the replay of the play Jennings was hurt on on TIVO, and it looked like he turned into Wilfork, not the other way around. It did not appear to be any cheap shot.

I can't comment on the supposed "kicking" incident, but there is no proof anything like that happened. Wilfork has never been accused of anything like that before to the best of my knowledge, either with the Patriots or at the U of Miami.

All the talk about the Patriots having the officials in their pocket is laughable, is it just losers lamenting a loss because they don't like the fact they got beat.

The only thing more laughable is the thought that because Jennings and Villarial think Wilfork cheap-shotted them, they are going to smite the Patriots when they meet again. The only way they will beat the Patriots is to out-play and out-execute them, and all that other stuff ends up having as much impact on the outcome of a game as Takeo Spikes guaranteeing a victory last Sunday.

EXCUSE ME ... DID you just say that all the talk about The Patsies having the the officials in their pocket is laughable? Then PLEASE explain to me why they are cracking down on the 5 yard rule?

And while we are on that topic, why do you think that the replay rule is in effect? Because after the "Just give it to them" game, Mr. Wilson finally voted for replay. Look it UP.

SABURZFAN
10-07-2004, 06:06 AM

i agree. :up:

mybills
10-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Patriots have always played dirty (period) There are other teams that do the same thing, but I think it's about time we're hearing it from the players and not just the fans! Not to mention, TWO players commenting about the SAME dirty player. :shakeno:

R. Rich
10-07-2004, 07:26 AM
Maybe Jonas and Villarrial need to go to a support group.

finsrclowns
10-07-2004, 08:59 AM
There is no proof Wilfork did anything.

I can't comment on the supposed "kicking" incident, but there is no proof anything like that happened. The only thing more laughable is the thought that because Jennings and Villarial think Wilfork cheap-shotted them, they are going to smite the Patriots when they meet again.

You say you can't comment, but you are commenting by saying there's no proof. How do you know there isn't? If the incident happened, and I find it far fetched to believe Villarrial would invent such a story about an opposing player and then tell the press about it if it didn't happen, then it's on probably on tape. The uncut film the teams get isn't the same feed TV gets, it shows the whole field and everything that goes on. Wilfolk can't avoid having this proven if he did it.

And as for Wilfork getting his, if you don't think so you are very naive. Football has it's own code and kicking guys goes over the top of that code, just like a dirty slide in baseball provokes a pitch at your back the next inning. And players don't forget something like that.

justasportsfan
10-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Damn, our vets are getting owned by a rookie. Suck it up,ladies. This Ol sucked even when they weren't playing Wilfork. This sucky OL has turned into whiny crybabies.

Rusty jones needs to stop prescribing Dramamine.

Ickybaluky
10-07-2004, 12:22 PM
You say you can't comment, but you are commenting by saying there's no proof. How do you know there isn't?

I don't, but there is no proof it occurred. There is only an unsubstantiated allegation. You are ready to accept as fact that Wilfork intentionally cheap-shotted them, with no evidence to support that allegation.

Why hasn't Wilfork been disciplined by the league? If that happens, then perhaps you could assume he did it, but that has not happened (at least not yet).

I find it far fetched to believe Villarrial would invent such a story about an opposing player and then tell the press about it if it didn't happen, then it's on probably on tape.

He wouldn't necessarily have to make it up, I am sure he believes it. However, he could have been kicked by accident, or even been kicked by someone else and thought it was Wilfork. We don't know if it happened or not, yet you are accepting as fact that Wilfork intentionally cheap-shotted those players.

All we know is two players on a team that lost a hard-hitting, hard-fought game that was close most of the way are grumbling about supposedly getting cheap-shotted on a couple plays. That is as likely to be sour-grapes as it is the truth.

The uncut film the teams get isn't the same feed TV gets, it shows the whole field and everything that goes on. Wilfolk can't avoid having this proven if he did it.

So why not wait and see what happens? Buffalo doesn't have to send a tape to the NFL for him to get caught, the league polices this stuff independent of the teams and fines players as they see fit. If he gets disciplined by the NFL for it, then you have every right to come down on him. If not, I'm sure you are going to send him a letter of apology for slandering him.

And as for Wilfork getting his, if you don't think so you are very naive. Football has it's own code and kicking guys goes over the top of that code, just like a dirty slide in baseball provokes a pitch at your back the next inning. And players don't forget something like that.

Right, just like all those other "dirty" players get it in the end. Bill Romanowski got his, right? Kevin Mawae gets his, right? Those guys are accused of dirty tactics all the time, but name the times they "got theirs". All they got was Pro Bowl berths.

Years ago, the NFL was that way, but it isn't really true any more. Name some cases where this "frontier justice" occurred. Nothing in recent memory, you'd probably have to go back to the playing days of Bucko Kilroy.

At any rate, it really doesn't have an impact on the game. Again, this is the classic lament of the loser. But it is far from reality.

It is kind of like when you hear them say, "we would have won if we hadn't made all those mistakes". Well, did you really think about that?

For all the talk about Penalties, Buffalo has been called for fewer penalties (25) than the Patriots (30) this season. Yet, there are some at this site that like to point to the refs being behind the Patriots success.

Want more? Buffalo has turned the ball over only 5 times all year. Compare that to 6 for the defending World Champs.

The Patriots have been more sloppy than the Bills this year, committing more penalties and more turnovers. That will eventually bite them in the butt if they don't do something about it. The reason one team is 3-0 while the other is 0-3 is because the Patriots have been good enough (particularly offensively) to overcome that sloppy play and win. They are the better team.

Bottom line: You can complain about penalties, turnovers and cheap shots all you want, but the bottom line is it comes down to which team plays better during the game. The best team usualy executes better when it counts.

finsrclowns
10-07-2004, 01:08 PM
I don't, but there is no proof it occurred. There is only an unsubstantiated allegation. You are ready to accept as fact that Wilfork intentionally cheap-shotted them, with no evidence to support that allegation.

It's not unsubstantiated. Jennings says he saw it happen.

Why hasn't Wilfork been disciplined by the league? If that happens, then perhaps you could assume he did it, but that has not happened (at least not yet).

I don't know how fast the league reviews these matters and it's not a lock they will catch it unless Buffalo sends them the tape, which teams do all the time. It's stupid to assume because on the Thursday after a game the league would necessarily have acted.

He wouldn't necessarily have to make it up, I am sure he believes it. However, he could have been kicked by accident, or even been kicked by someone else and thought it was Wilfork. We don't know if it happened or not, yet you are accepting as fact that Wilfork intentionally cheap-shotted those players.

Villarrial says it happened and Jennings says he saw it happen. The tape of the game will prove it did or didn't happen.

All we know is two players on a team that lost a hard-hitting, hard-fought game that was close most of the way are grumbling about supposedly getting cheap-shotted on a couple plays. That is as likely to be sour-grapes as it is the truth.

I doubt that a story about a guy kicking him when he's on the ground has anything to do with sour grapes. But we will see won't we?

So why not wait and see what happens? Buffalo doesn't have to send a tape to the NFL for him to get caught, the league polices this stuff independent of the teams and fines players as they see fit. If he gets disciplined by the NFL for it, then you have every right to come down on him. If not, I'm sure you are going to send him a letter of apology for slandering him.

I said from the beginning check the tape. It either happened or it didn't and the truth is out there. A message board discussion of an incident reported by one player and witnessed by another is hardly slander, in fact it's in the newspapers and we're free to comment on it as we wish. If it offends you that's your own problem.

Right, just like all those other "dirty" players get it in the end. Bill Romanowski got his, right? Kevin Mawae gets his, right? Those guys are accused of dirty tactics all the time, but name the times they "got theirs". All they got was Pro Bowl berths. Years ago, the NFL was that way, but it isn't really true any more. Name some cases where this "frontier justice" occurred. Nothing in recent memory, you'd probably have to go back to the playing days of Bucko Kilroy.

How do you know what goes on on the field? Because guys don't announce to the press that they got even it doesn't happen? Please. The only reason we know anything about the old days is because guys like Art Donovan, who hasn't played in over 40 years, like to talk about the old days. Football on the line is a big scrum and if you want to pay someone back it doesn't have to be obvious.

At any rate, it really doesn't have an impact on the game. Again, this is the classic lament of the loser. But it is far from reality.
It is kind of like when you hear them say, "we would have won if we hadn't made all those mistakes". Well, did you really think about that?
For all the talk about Penalties, Buffalo has been called for fewer penalties (25) than the Patriots (30) this season. Yet, there are some at this site that like to point to the refs being behind the Patriots success.
Want more? Buffalo has turned the ball over only 5 times all year. Compare that to 6 for the defending World Champs. The Patriots have been more sloppy than the Bills this year, committing more penalties and more turnovers. That will eventually bite them in the butt if they don't do something about it. The reason one team is 3-0 while the other is 0-3 is because the Patriots have been good enough (particularly offensively) to overcome that sloppy play and win. They are the better team. Bottom line: You can complain about penalties, turnovers and cheap shots all you want, but the bottom line is it comes down to which team plays better during the game. The best team usualy executes better when it counts.

Nice speech but off topic. Noone said anything about the alleged incident changing the game's outcome. That doesn't make it right. The bottom line is quite simple: the Bills should find the incident on tape, if it occurred, send it to the league and Wilfolk will be fined. Then Wilfolk should keep his eyes wide open when we see you again.

chernobylwraiths
10-07-2004, 01:17 PM
I don't understand. Are you saying it wasn't a cheap shot? Are you only basing everything on what the officials call? As much as we believe our player, you believe your player. Are we to believe your player who hasn't said anything about it?

I think Rodney Harrison is one of the league's biggest cheap shot artists. I think he showed it on his hit on Ryan Newfeld. I was a little surprised he didn't get a penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver.

Playing for a winner usually gets you the better calls. It is reality. We aren't considered a good team and we have gotten crap calls against us. Sure, NE is a good team, but when they are given extra opportunities a good team will capitalize. How about that fumble by the WR before halftime in the drive leading up to tieing the game for you. He was never touched and when he hit the ground the ball popped out. The refs blew that call. Then later in the game Dillon put another ball on the carpet that ended up resulting in another score for your team. Another blown call by the refs. Even good teams don't win when they make that many mistakes. Just like a team that is not so good won't win when they get bad breaks. The Bills got the breaks, but they were taken away from them. They just won't beat a good team without those calls.

It was a good game and NE won. They made the plays when they had to. Brady looked very good as well. The Bills helped beat themselves as well. I look forward to the second meeting.

Gunzlingr
10-07-2004, 01:17 PM
It's not unsubstantiated. Jennings says he saw it happen.

I don't know how fast the league reviews these matters and it's not a lock they will catch it unless Buffalo sends them the tape, which teams do all the time. It's stupid to assume because on the Thursday after a game the league would necessarily have acted.

Villarrial says it happened and Jennings says he saw it happen. The tape of the game will prove it did or didn't happen.

I doubt that a story about a guy kicking him when he's on the ground has anything to do with sour grapes. But we will see won't we?

I said from the beginning check the tape. It either happened or it didn't and the truth is out there. A message board discussion of an incident reported by one player and witnessed by another is hardly slander, in fact it's in the newspapers and we're free to comment on it as we wish. If it offends you that's your own problem.

How do you know what goes on on the field? Because guys don't announce to the press that they got even it doesn't happen? Please. The only reason we know anything about the old days is because guys like Art Donovan, who hasn't played in over 40 years, like to talk about the old days. Football on the line is a big scrum and if you want to pay someone back it doesn't have to be obvious.

Nice speech but off topic. Noone said anything about the alleged incident changing the game's outcome. That doesn't make it right. The bottom line is quite simple: the Bills should find the incident on tape, if it occurred, send it to the league and Wilfolk will be fined. Then Wilfolk should keep his eyes wide open when we see you again.
I know pats fans who will admit that they get calls overlooked, and the officials seem to make calls in their favor.

The_Philster
10-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Damn, our vets are getting owned by a rookie. Suck it up,ladies. This Ol sucked even when they weren't playing Wilfork. This sucky OL has turned into whiny crybabies.

Rusty jones needs to stop prescribing Dramamine.
whether we're getting owned or not isn't the issue. The players need to play clean

Ickybaluky
10-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Belichick reviewed the tapes, and he says (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2004/10/08/belichick_comes_clean_on_hits/)he didn't see anything. Further, he says the Bills were the ones dealing cheap-shots:

"I definitely didn't see whatever the plays they were talking about," Belichick said. "I saw the game, but I didn't see those plays, the way they described them."

The Patriots' coach even suggested the Bills might have been guilty of some misconduct.

"I definitely might point out a couple of plays in the Buffalo game I have an issue with going in the other direction, and we'll see how that turns out," said Belichick, who did not specify the plays.

justasportsfan
10-08-2004, 12:17 PM
whether we're getting owned or not isn't the issue. The players need to play clean
They should stop whining about what other players are doing and just concentrate on temselves. Suck it up and play some good football. Question is, what is Jonnas and Villarial going to do about it? Lose more games?

here check this out

http://www.extremeskins.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=banghaha&file=index

TedMock
10-08-2004, 02:36 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's embarrassing that our o-line is sitting around whining. Wilfork was the best DT in college, and he's turning into a very pro. A few years ago, I read a book by Tim (last name's escaping me). Anyway, he played for the Atlanta Falcons. When asked about what team he hated playing the most, his answer...The Buffalo Bills. He specifically mentioned Hull and Richter and how dirty they were on the line. Ya know what? That was one damn good o-line, too. None of us were complaining then. I'm not saying that I condone dirty play, but that's what the line is. Toughen up, or get the hell off my team. As a fan, I'm totally embarrassed by this pu**y a** bull*hit.

HenryRules
10-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's embarrassing that our o-line is sitting around whining. Wilfork was the best DT in college, and he's turning into a very pro. A few years ago, I read a book by Tim (last name's escaping me). Anyway, he played for the Atlanta Falcons. When asked about what team he hated playing the most, his answer...The Buffalo Bills. He specifically mentioned Hull and Richter and how dirty they were on the line. Ya know what? That was one damn good o-line, too. None of us were complaining then. I'm not saying that I condone dirty play, but that's what the line is. Toughen up, or get the hell off my team. As a fan, I'm totally embarrassed by this pu**y a** bull*hit.

Great post ... absolultey 100% correct. No more needs to be said.

HenryRules
10-08-2004, 05:30 PM

This isn't intramural co-ed flag football - it's the damned NFL ... if the other guy is being cheap and the ref isn't catching it, make him pay for it!! My hockey coach always used to say, "There's a reason they put big f'n numbers on the back of each jersey ... it's so you can pay back the right guy at the right time."