PDA

View Full Version : Bills-Pats featured on NFL Matchup

Charlieguide
10-08-2004, 06:02 PM
ESPN's NFL Matchup is one of the most in-depth shows you'll find; their dissection of plays is some of the best I've seen. This week, they featured a play from the Pats-Bills game last week, to illustrate some of NE's strengths.

First of all, they gave such high compliments to Charlie Weiss, and his playcalling and anticipation skills. They said he is an expert at predicting what a defense will do and calling plays to exploit them. ( . . . and why didn't we hire him? Oh, right, he's not from Pittsburgh. :rolleyes:)

Featured was one of NE's TD plays in which Givens and Patten ran crossing patterns, causing McGee to have to run around Clements, which left the WR open for the TD.

But more importantly (to us), they focused on the linemen. They showed us the blitz scheme and the OL's reaction. Jaw's summary: "this is as intricate a blitz scheme as you will see, and they didn't get anywhere near Brady."

I'm not sure what to think of that. It makes Gray look like a good schemer, but says nothing for his playcalling or adjustments, and certainly doesn't say much for the quality of our players.

Mr. Cynical
10-08-2004, 06:09 PM
If we had only lost to the Pats this year, I'd say "hey, chalk it up to a superior team". But given we are now riding a 6 game losing streak from last year to now, I chalk it up to being a bad team.

Since '01:

Chargers: 18-33
Bengals: 17-34
Bills: 17-34
Cards: 16-35
Lions: 12-39

Speaks volumes. :sigh:

Charlieguide
10-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Ouch, I didn't realize that. We've been "on the verge" for so long -- and with more/better players than those teams -- that it's very easy to miss the fact we're one of the worst right now.