• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

It hurts to say this, but Cowart

Looked pretty good last nite. Fletcher has been a major downgrade from Sam. I know, I know, hindsight is 20/20, and Sam had major questions about the comeback from his injury, but our D would be a heck of a lot better with Sam than London.
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

What type of Defense do the Jets play? Unless they play a 4-3, the following statement is true.

Sam Cowart would never have succeeded in our defense... much like London is not. Our defense is not geared by linebackers, it is geared by quick DE's (which we do not have either)

You stick Sam in the middle of a 4-3 with a below average front 4, and what you get is a bigger downgrade from London. I am not defending London, but I am snubbing Sam.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Cowart had a great game last night but it was the first time he played well all season. He wasn't worth the money it would have cost to keep him and I feel the result here would be the same with Cowart or Fletcher.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

I was one of the few that said Cowart would bounce back. I love being right!
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

Cowart is more physical, and doesn't miss as many tackles as Fletcher. Didn't Fletcher miss a tackle on almost every big play the Pats had?
          Last edited by Earthquake Enyart; 11-11-2002, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• mybills
            81 st zoner
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
            Cowart is momre physical, and doesn't miss as many tackles as Fletcher. Didn't Fletcher miss a tackle on almost every big play the Pats had?
            hell yes!
            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Marcos20
              • Oct 2002

i think Cowart is a little bit better than London , but for less money we have almost the same thing

Our defense is the same with London or Cowart
              Si me pueden entender:

"Aguante la Bersuit krajo , E-Moulds el WR +kpo

Comment

• LuvDaBills11
                • Nov 2002

our defense would suck with ray lewis at lb because our line blows chunks

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

I don't think anyone can argue against the fact that SC is the superior player - I mean, that's why he's not here anymore, London was cheaper...

That said, I agree that Cowart wouldn't have been any more successful or effective in our style of defense than Fletcher has been - probably less so. Cowart really struggled w/ the Jets all season long until they made some adjustments to cater more to his strengths. He's been a HUGE bust up until this point - if you live down here you know, the media's been ripping him apart all season long.

And don't forget about all the injury concerns... Even if we could have afforded him, TD did what he had to do, the Jets took a huge gamble on him IMO.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                    Cowart is more physical, and doesn't miss as many tackles as Fletcher. Didn't Fletcher miss a tackle on almost every big play the Pats had?
                    Ya gotta keep that decision in context; Cowart couldn't stay healthy and even hasn't this season. We knew it was a downgrade, but that was the tradeoff.

Gotta agree w/ EE here however. Cowart had far better East-West speed as well. Fletcher, even when he sees the play develop, often struggles to get to the sideline and even then has sketchy tackling. Fletcher is nowhere near what many of us thought and hoped he would/could be. He's got some time to improve however. We won't be cutting him after this season either.

Cowart is the better MLB when healthy. But alas, the dilemma. But we all knew that.
                    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                      • Jul 2002

Our MLB is not the issue w/ our D anyway. Robinson and the DL are.
                      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• mchurchfie
                        • Jul 2002

We should have kept the superior LB, Cowart, and stayed with the 3-4 defense, a defense in which he excells. The Bills and Jets have really pulled his career down by making him play in the 4-3. I know that he wouldn't have Big Ted Washington to hide behind and make plays but we still would have had a vastly better defense if we would have stayed with it. Fletcher is a huge disappointment and very overrated IMHO. GW and JG's semi-pro caliber "Tenessee-how-many-tackles-we-can-miss" defense is the worst to ever grace a proud Buffalo Bill's uniform also.
                        My Band
                        daveviterna.com

Comment

• Cntrygal
                          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                          • Jul 2002

How many games has he played this well? One that I know of (of course I haven't been following him). Why is it that some people want to get rid of a guy one bad game (ie. Hollis) and pick someone up (or regret getting rid of) after one good game????? I'll be impressed if Sam manages to stay healthy for the rest of the season and keeps the same level of play that we seen yesterday.
                          Originally posted by notacon
                          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Everybody also forgets that he just didn't want to play here. We offered him a very fair contract. He wanted to play for his friend Sam Cottrell. There was no way he was staying here with some rookie D coordinator (can't say as I blame him there).

One thing I saw that made me shake my head was the fact he was playing OLB for the Jets. We were going to have him play OLB and he made a big stink about it.

Comment

• colin
                              Drew's my hero!
                              • Jul 2002

He made some plays last night, but Robinson made plays against Miami, good ones too. One good game and a buch of down the field tackles does not make a great player.

He is no where what he used to be, and he did get himself out of plenty of plays. I was a huge fan of his when he was a Bill, but he is not playing great by any means, certainly not guaranteed signing bonus great.

Eddie Robinson for the Chargers is playing up to his paycheck and a bit beyond, and he is not nearly as good as Sam used to be.

The Detroit and Miami game would give the impression that the Bills had a good D and that London was the cat's ass at MLB, don't jump to conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X