X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clumping platelets
    • Jun 2024

Salary Cap Update (10/9/04)

As of 10/9/04, I have the Bills $2,813,154 under an adjusted salary cap of $79,759,085 with $5,777,910 "dead cap". All players have been accounted for in these numbers. It includes the full year cost of the practice squad ($73,950 X 8 players = $591,600) and an approx. amount for Travis Brown's injury settlement (I estimated $450,000), thus the $2,813,154 number is what is available to the Bills. The one exception: It appears that Ron Edwards signed a 1 yr extension. I have not heard anything about it in the various media sources. He was a RFA tendered at the minimum of $628,000 but he is also under contract for $1 million in 2005. Therefore, it's highly probable that some bonus(es) are missing and that would need to be subtracted from the available cap space if he has indeed signed a 1 yr extension.

I presently have the Bills $1,187,052 under an estimated salary cap of $84 million with $670,443 "dead cap" and 42 players under contract. Now, before everyone gets nervous, this number includes option bonuses for both Evans & Losman that when paid will add $6.5075 million to the cap availability. It's also necessary to remind y'all that Schobel and Edwards are already re-signed for 2005 and that cap space is accounted for.

What is missing:

1) Cap adjustment: this will likely decrease available cap space
    2) Top 51: Need to add 9 players to comply with top 51 rule (9 X $235,000 = $2.115 million). This amt needs to be subtracted from available cap space
    3) Salary escalators: M. Williams, Losman, Moorman, & McGahee all have salary escalators that will decrease available cap space
    4) Tenders to RFAs & EFAs: these can be in place of the minimum salaries posted in #2

I'll have my cap outlook coming soon, just need to get some more info first. But rest assured, the Bills will be facing a tighter cap picture in 2005
  • ScottLawrence
    • Jan 2004

How much would we gain with Bledsoe release?
    You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by ScottLawrence
      How much would we gain with Bledsoe release?

I knew this question would come up

I do not have the numbers in front of me. it also depends on when he's released. If released before FA period starts, it would save approx. $2 million

Comment

• HenryRules
        • Jul 2002

So it sounds like 2005 team is basically the same as the 2004 team in personnel - I'm assuming our cap space is going to be spent replacing Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings. It doesn't even sound like we have a lot of room to do that without cutting other people and this team is so thin that if we cut someone, we pretty much have to sign someone at that position anyway.

I'm not a cap expert, but I don't think that a team like ours going up against the cap limit before this offseason starts is indicative of great cap management.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by HenryRules
          So it sounds like 2005 team is basically the same as the 2004 team in personnel - I'm assuming our cap space is going to be spent replacing Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings. It doesn't even sound like we have a lot of room to do that without cutting other people and this team is so thin that if we cut someone, we pretty much have to sign someone at that position anyway.

I'm not a cap expert, but I don't think that a team like ours going up against the cap limit before this offseason starts is indicative of great cap management.

Enter Willis McGahee, and JP Losman for Drew Bledsoe and Travis Henry and there can be a big difference in Wins and Loss's.

I have no problem going into the 2005 season with basically the same personal except no Drew Bledsoe.

I suspect Pay cuts will be made to give us more room as well.(Eric Moulds, and Mike Williams)

Comment

• HenryRules
            • Jul 2002

Enter Willis McGahee, and JP Losman for Drew Bledsoe and Travis Henry and there can be a big difference in Wins and Loss's.

I have no problem going into the 2005 season with basically the same personal except no Drew Bledsoe.

I suspect Pay cuts will be made to give us more room as well.(Eric Moulds, and Mike Williams)
            Losman will not be ready to be a successful starter next year - 2006 was seen as his starting time before the injury and it can't be moved up due to his injury. And if McGahee would make this team better than Henry, then our coaches are proving themselves to be incompetent by not playing the better player.

I think starting Losman and McGahee next year instead of Bledsoe and Henry puts us on the path towards earlier success, but it will not lead to a successful 2005.

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

I think starting Losman and McGahee next year instead of Bledsoe and Henry puts us on the path towards earlier success, but it will not lead to a successful 2005.
              Gotta agree with that. Unless JP gets some starts this year, he will not be much of a contributor next season. It's going to take him some time to learn the ropes.

Comment

• FTG
                • Aug 2004

TD! We are back to a tight cap and we suck just as bad as when he took over
                Drew Bledsoe ****ing sucks

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                  short bus extraordinaire
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FTG

it's pathetic.
                  Originally posted by yordad
                  Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• HenryRules
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FTG
                    That's being generous to TD ... we were 8-8 the year before he took over - I don't think we're that good now.
                    Last edited by HenryRules; 10-09-2004, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• ScottLawrence
                      • Jan 2004

Losman will not be ready to be a successful starter next year - 2006 was seen as his starting time before the injury and it can't be moved up due to his injury. And if McGahee would make this team better than Henry, then our coaches are proving themselves to be incompetent by not playing the better player.

NOO.

I say this all the time, Look at Kyle Boller and Byron Leftwhich.

They have done nothing for there team but, both teams sit at 2-2 and 3-1 in early position for the division.

I still don't get the logic on this.... Losman doesn't have to make all the plays, he just doesn't have to make stupid ones like Bledsoe does constantly for this team.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

1998: 10-6 (Wade's first year)
                        Offense rank: 7
                        Defense rank: 7

1999: 11-5
                        Offense rank: 12
                        Defense rank: 1

2000: 8-8
                        Offense Rank: 9
                        Defense Rank: 3

2001: 3-13 (TD/GW first year)
                        Offense Rank: 13
                        Defense Rank: 21

2002: 8-8 (TD/GW first year)
                        Offense Rank: 8
                        Defense Rank: 15

2003: 6-10 (TD/GW first year)
                        Offense Rank: 28
                        Defense Rank: 2

Looking at these numbers, TD inherited a defense ranked #3 in the league and destroyed it. Then had to rebuild it back again for 3 years. Offensively they also went the wrong way except for '02, but alot of that had to do with the big numbers for the first half of the season.

My question is this: who did TD release on the D when he took over? To fall from 3 to 21 is huge and I don't remember what players he let go.

Comment

• kgun12
                          • Jul 2002

NOO.

They have done nothing for there team but, both teams sit at 2-2 and 3-1 in early position for the division.

I still don't get the logic on this.... Losman doesn't have to make all the plays, he just doesn't have to make stupid ones like Bledsoe does constantly for this team.
                          I will agree with these statements. I think the league is watered down enough that Losman could come in and be affective. being able to move around and run will help this team (the line).
                          Retired Air Traffic Controller
                          USAF VETERAN
                          DAV

Comment

• kgun12
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                            1998: 10-6 (Wade's first year)
                            Offense rank: 7
                            Defense rank: 7

1999: 11-5
                            Offense rank: 12
                            Defense rank: 1

2000: 8-8
                            Offense Rank: 9
                            Defense Rank: 3

2001: 3-13 (TD/GW first year)
                            Offense Rank: 13
                            Defense Rank: 21

2002: 8-8 (TD/GW first year)
                            Offense Rank: 8
                            Defense Rank: 15

2003: 6-10 (TD/GW first year)
                            Offense Rank: 28
                            Defense Rank: 2

Looking at these numbers, TD inherited a defense ranked #3 in the league and destroyed it. Then had to rebuild it back again for 3 years. Offensively they also went the wrong way except for '02, but alot of that had to do with the big numbers for the first half of the season.

My question is this: who did TD release on the D when he took over? To fall from 3 to 21 is huge and I don't remember what players he let go.
                            Off the top of my head: T. Washington, T. Smith, S. Rogers, S. Cowart ( got London Fletcher cheaper) and the other CB name ?
                            Retired Air Traffic Controller
                            USAF VETERAN
                            DAV

Comment

• HenryRules
                              • Jul 2002

NOO.

First, you're saying that those teams are successful because they've done well in a 4-game stretch. That's ridiculous. Even in our 3-13 year, we had a stretch where we were 2-2 (including a victory over the playoff-bound Jets).

Second, Boller's situation is entirely different from what Losman would face (as you imply).

Boller has Jamal Lewis as a RB who put up 2000 yards and 14 TDs last year. The Ravens also have a defense that was tied for second in takeaways. Of course the Ravens don't need Boller to make plays.

Conversely, Losman is going to have a rookie RB (while first time starting RB's can contribute more than most positions, to suggest McGahee is going to threaten for 2000 next year is foolish) and a defense that has never been good at shortening the field for the offense. For us to win next year, our QB is going to have to make plays, not just avoid bad ones.

And before you say it, look at the situation a guy like Ben R. is stepping into - 2 pro bowl worthy receivers, a dependable RB and a solid line (last year's was decimated by the injuries to Marvel Smith and Kendall Simmons, who although he played a lot suffered from learning to deal with diabetes and the accompanying loss of strength). Don't forget, they've got 2 pro bowl worthy OL up the gut in Hartings and Fanacea.

Third, last year was Leftwich's first year as a starter (last year) and Jax was 5-10. That's not a successful season in my book.

I know it's not unheard of for a QB to start young and lead his team to a successful season, but it's also not unheard of for a team to go into the season with major question marks at QB, WR, OL, S, K, and coaching staff to have a successful season. We're trying to buck the odds this year and it's not working, care to try again?

Comment

Working...
                              X