PDA

View Full Version : My take on the game

Charlieguide
10-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Well, I felt lucky having the day off, and hit the local fan club (dive that it is) to watch the game with fellow fans, and get a little drunk in the process (not that it takes much). I don't know whether to be frustrated with being 0-4, or excited about the 4th quarter surge, but I'll list some keys to the game, and see what we can come up with.

A) Prioleau was involved in at least three key plays. He had a bonehead late hit, and got royally chewed out for it. The next play he was in on, he got flagged for interference in the end zone. Replay showed it to be excellent defense, and that bogus call (which makes me wonder how often refs are bought) cost a TD, which could have changed the outcome. Third, he was the benefactor of Clements' strip.

B) Moulds, overall, had several key catches, but also missed a couple of opportunities. He dropped a ball that he had two hands on, which should never happen to a top-tier WR. He also failed to reach for a first down when solo-tackled at the ankles (but the team converted next play). 54 yards is underachieving, for him.

C) The punting team had two penalties: one false start, and one holding. :eek2: THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN!!!!!!!!! Get your heads out of your asses and do your job!!!!!

D) Drew put up decent numbers (16/29, 197 yards, 2td, 1int). On 2nd and 2, we all knew they'd make a deep strike, but he pulled up a little lame and underthrew Moulds for an incompletion that could have been a TD. He seemed ok later, but looked strained after that throw. Has he lost range, or was it just an isolated occurence? Also, he usually got the ball off quiclky, but when the rush was less than 3 seconds, he did get sacked. On the last drive, he stepped forward in the pocket, and tripped over players on the ground for a sack. He also hit Shaw in the head on a short route . . . don't know whose fault that was.

E) Henry had a great blitz pickup late in the game, his running was mediocre at best (OL?), and he dropped a pass while open over the middle. Willis had more luck than Travis today, but neither has been consistent yet this year.

F) Coaching: not many blitzes in the first half, but increased later, and nearly pitched a shutout in the second half. Offensive calls were crippled by penalties, but showed little success (6 consecutive punts!) until the 4th.

On the plus side, Willis did look good, Campbell and Evans got involved in the scoring, and, well, the team showed a flash of brilliance. For perhaps the first time all season, if only for a quarter, they fired on all cylinders.

Dozerdog
10-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Very objective, fair and balanced take.

While I still think Henry is an excellent back- he has also not performed to expectation. He's now "defelected" two easy passes over the middle- one was picked off by the Raiders, and we were fortunate there were no Jets in the neigborhood this time. Mcgahee has made some tough plays today and deserves more time. I's only limit his playing time if his blitz pickup skills are still in question.

Charlieguide
10-10-2004, 08:20 PM
One more thing: the Bills gave up at least one sack while the Jets were in their DIME coverage! That's one-on-one blocking, AT WORST! And this was not a 'coverage sack,' it was a LB or DL on a blitz.

The line isn't communicating well . . . is it because Teague is out?

mybills
10-10-2004, 09:10 PM
The line isn't communicating well . . . is it because Teague is out?
GOD NO! I can't stand Teague...but...
THAT ISN'T WHY AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HenryRules
10-10-2004, 09:15 PM
A) Prioleau was involved in at least three key plays. He had a bonehead late hit, and got royally chewed out for it. The next play he was in on, he got flagged for interference in the end zone. Replay showed it to be excellent defense, and that bogus call (which makes me wonder how often refs are bought) cost a TD, which could have changed the outcome. Third, he was the benefactor of Clements' strip.

That pass interference call on Prioleau was legitimate. You cannot wrap your hand around the receiver before he catches the ball. It doesn't matter if you actually disrupt him or anything - it's a penalty and is going to be called every time you do it right in front of the official.