PDA

View Full Version : The defense did not play good at all

HenryRules
10-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Almost every thread makes it sound like our defense played good for 3.5 quarters but sucked at the end.

Did you guys actually watch the game?

The Jets marched up and down the field for the first half. We got lucky when they missed a chip shot on the first drive and had one great defensive play to force a fumble that stopped them from scoring again.

Then in the 3rd and 4th, they played an incredibly conservative game and got lazy because they had a 13 point lead.

Once they needed to score again, what'd they do? March right over us again.

Time of possession meant jack ****. Our defense could never stop them at all this game.

chernobylwraiths
10-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Almost every thread makes it sound like our defense played good for 3.5 quarters but sucked at the end.

Did you guys actually watch the game?

The Jets marched up and down the field for the first half. We got lucky when they missed a chip shot on the first drive and had one great defensive play to force a fumble that stopped them from scoring again.

Then in the 3rd and 4th, they played an incredibly conservative game and got lazy because they had a 13 point lead.

Once they needed to score again, what'd they do? March right over us again.

Time of possession meant jack ****. Our defense could never stop them at all this game.

I can't disagree with anything here.

For all the people wanting the offense to get a new leader? When is the last time that the defense has stopped a team from moving the ball or scoring when it REALLY NEEDED TO? I would be willing to bet that it has been a LONG time.

mybills
10-10-2004, 08:42 PM
I just got home and all I can say is we sucked until the 4th qt. Both sides of our team sucked. All of a sudden we poured it on. But I have to disagree if you're becoming a McGahee fan just because of a couple of runs by him. Travis did his workhorse thing as usual, and to me, I can rely on him.

What really made me face reality about this team was when I asked my son at half time what's wrong with the Bills? He said, "Um, the play book" which is exactly what I was thinking.

I was so looking forward to MM turning this team around, and he still can, but I have faced the fact that it ain't happening this year.

I love the Bills...I can't turn my back on them, but yeah I'm VERY disapointed in them. :sadwalk:

clumping platelets
10-10-2004, 10:14 PM
We missed Milloy and Vincent the past two weeks. I would suspect that the outcome of one and maybe even both games would be different with them in the game. Too many blown coverages :(

Dozerdog
10-10-2004, 10:29 PM
The positive is we held a team averaging 27 points a game to 13 in their house for most of the game. Blame the offense for not taking advantage of that.

Last year we didn't give up yards but didn't force turnovers. This year we give up some yards but are generating the turnovers.

We are thin in the secondary- smart teams with smart offenses are taking advantage of it.

HenryRules
10-10-2004, 10:32 PM
The positive is we held a team averaging 27 points a game to 13 in their house for most of the game. Blame the offense for not taking advantage of that.

Last year we didn't give up yards but didn't force turnovers. This year we give up some yards but are generating the turnovers.

We are thin in the secondary- smart teams with smart offenses are taking advantage of it.

I disagree ... I don't think we held them to 13 points. I think we got lucky on a missed FG and other than that, their playing style in the 3rd and 4th is what prevented them from scoring and not our defense. Teams aren't going to be as aggressive with a 13 point cushion as they would be when the game is close.

I think we can say we held them to 13 in the first half, but that's what they were averaging.

Dozerdog
10-10-2004, 10:33 PM
I just got home and all I can say is we sucked until the 4th qt. Both sides of our team sucked. All of a sudden we poured it on. But I have to disagree if you're becoming a McGahee fan just because of a couple of runs by him. Travis did his workhorse thing as usual, and to me, I can rely on him.

What really made me face reality about this team was when I asked my son at half time what's wrong with the Bills? He said, "Um, the play book" which is exactly what I was thinking.

I was so looking forward to MM turning this team around, and he still can, but I have faced the fact that it ain't happening this year.

I love the Bills...I can't turn my back on them, but yeah I'm VERY disapointed in them. :sadwalk:

I really don't think it's the playcalling or playbook. I see a mix of pass and run- sticking with the run even though the production isn't there on a consistent basis. I also like the fact that we are going deep taking advantage of the only strength Drew has- the deep ball.

Penalties, and protection are hurting us. The OL is slowly learning- but the season is slipping.

BillsFever21
10-10-2004, 10:45 PM
The only complaint I've had with the defense up to this point is their inability to stop the other team on 3rd down. I've lost count on how many 3rd downs we have given up this season.

It doesn't seem to matter what the distance has been. We're even giving up 3rd and 10+ yards on a consistent basis.

Whether anyone notices or wants to admit it our defense is suffering without GW's defensive mind. He wasn't a great coach but we can't take away the fact the dude just flat out knows his defense.

GW built this defense and it's still his system we are running. Jerry Gray sucks on his own and it's showing without GW's influence. Talent is the sole reason our defense are still keeping the points down. The play calling has been terrible.

We were at the top of the league last year with our 3rd down percentage. In fact I think we lead the league in that department along with 3rd down conversions given up. We can't seem to stop anyone on 3rd down this year. It doesn't seem to matter what the distance is. We have to be towards the bottom of the league in this department at this point in the season.

Third downs are killing us this year on both offense and defense. Our offense can't make one and our defense can't stop one. This is the main reason we are still winless.

Tatonka
10-10-2004, 10:53 PM
the lack of pass rush is still killing us.. it is just horrid.

i dont know why, but whenever we blitz.. we just are not getting there.. our dline looks so average.. we just dont scare qbs.. we dont inflict much pain..

TKO has been nonexistent.. fletcher is the only one playing like a man.. schobel gets one sack and that is about the onlything he has done this season.. i have actually been somewhat impressed with kelsays hussle.. but he is still not getting hits on the qb..

i think the lack of pressure makes the dbs look worse.. but prielou sucks almost as bad as wire.. and reese got smoked today as well.. our safety play is just not good. mcgee got picked on all day by pennington, which i expected.. mcgee actually got me 11 points in fantasy football (individual defensive players).. needed him because urlacher was on a bye. but regardless.. the dbs are not great.. but the front seven isnt helping the cause..

kind of like the relationship between bledsoe and the oline.

LtBillsFan66
10-10-2004, 11:10 PM
In the latest Bills Digest, Sam Adams said that his and William's roles are to plug up the line of scrimmage. NOT to rush the passer at all. It was in writing, but I sort of got the impression that Sam wasn't happy that that is their only role. He said he thinks they can be effective rushing the passer too. Looking back, I see that.