PDA

View Full Version : Is this the best NFL season ever?

Judge
11-11-2002, 11:30 AM
This season has it all:

- HIGH level of parity to the point that there's little to differentiate the best team in the NFL from the #20 team, and where any team is truly beatable any week.

- Probably a minimum of 25 teams have realistic playoffs aspirations.

- The surge in offensive production that has created more explosive, exciting games.

- The great storylines involving Drew, Emmitt, Michael Vick, Tommy Maddox, etc., that are stirring the pot.

I don't think it can get any better from a league-wide perspective, can it? This is the best season in NFL history so far!

4thAndLong
11-11-2002, 11:50 AM
It could be...

But then you have morons like TO with the sharpie, and the NFL charging players for wearing their socks too high and throwing a ball in the stands.

The storylines have been great, you have players like Rodney Peete, Bledsoe, Emmit, Maddox, coming back. How many team offensive records have been broke this year? I can think of 3 off the top of my head (Bledsoe, Burress, Maddox).

The league is alot more competitive, and makes it alot more fun to watch.

Although, the AFC North and AFC South are crappy divisions, but still competitive.

Typ0
11-11-2002, 12:11 PM
It will be a lot better after they add two more wild-card spots.

BillsNYC
11-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by 4thAndLong
It could be...

But then you have morons like TO with the sharpie, and the NFL charging players for wearing their socks too high and throwing a ball in the stands.

I WILL TAKE THIS OVER A PLAYER STRIKE (MLB) OR THE THUGNESS/SELF-CENTERNESS OF THE NBA

:ebenezer:

4thAndLong
11-11-2002, 12:31 PM
I would take Nascar over baseball, BillsNYC. And that says alot.

BillsNYC
11-11-2002, 01:38 PM
i'd take female sumo wrestling over the nba or mlb....

nfl rules!!!!

Rude American
11-11-2002, 01:51 PM
I don't like the parity. Free agency has ruined sports.

BillsNYC
11-11-2002, 01:58 PM
$ ruined sports!!!

Judge
11-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Rude American

You'd rather have a situation like in Major League Baseball, where the NY Yankees have made the playoffs for years and won 3 or 4 World Series in a row? That's fine for fans of the Yankees, but stinks for everyone else.

Wouldn't you rather have a league where every team has a shot? If not, why not?

Give a good reason why you don't like parity, particularly this year when offensive production is so high?

TacklingDummy
11-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Rude American

Originally posted by Judge

You'd rather have a situation like in Major League Baseball, where the NY Yankees have made the playoffs for years and won 3 or 4 World Series in a row?

Thats the reason the Yankees win 3 0r 4 in a row. Because of Free Agency. Plus Baseball is to slow and playoff games come on to late.

I like the new rules in hockey. The average game time is down 20 minutes per game. Baseball should do something to make their game faster.

Like not letting Nomar fix his gloves for 10 mintues between every pitch.

Judge
11-11-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by TacklingDummy

Thats the reason the Yankees win 3 0r 4 in a row. Because of Free Agency.

No it isn't. It's because of the failure of the MLB and NHL to understand that the NFL has great parity due to revenue sharing and a salary cap that keeps all teams on a generally even playing field.

Free agency is no problem if done the NFL way.

colin
11-11-2002, 05:24 PM
The thing about the NFL is that all the teams recognize the value of the brand of the NFL, they go for revenue sharing and a cap so that more money can be made for themselves.

A rivalry with Blo is great for Miami, the Jets, and NE. If we were like the Expos with no chance then there would be some less revenue opportunities for those teams. The NFL is a League where fans get excited about the game, the draft, the preamble, everything. The other big 3 sports just don't capture people's interest as much. The NFL is the one big time sports body in the world.