PDA

View Full Version : McGahee vs. Henry

Ebenezer
10-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Everybody wants McGahee...let's look at the numbers...
Name Carries Yards Avg LN TD
Henry 80 273 3.4 14 0
McGahee 19 70 3.7 21 0

I'm not even going to "take out their best run"....

3.7 vs. 3.4 sorry folks, no matter how you cut it, that is no difference...the running game sucks. no matter who is in.

Mr. Miyagi
10-11-2004, 01:34 PM
But you're neglecting the intangibles. WM blocks better. Defenses respect him more. He came in and we scored 2 TDs for the first time this season.

How do you explain that?

Charlieguide
10-11-2004, 01:39 PM
But you're neglecting the intangibles. WM blocks better. Defenses respect him more. He came in and we scored 2 TDs for the first time this season.

How do you explain that?

They were also running the 2-minute offense, in such a hurry that the OL doesn't matter as much. And wasn't WM only in for one of those drives? If I'm a DC, I'm worried about the RB with 1400 yards, not the rookie with the 'recovered' knee. And if I'm a DC facing the Bills, I'll blitz every down, anyway, so who cares?

Ebenezer
10-11-2004, 01:41 PM

How do you explain that?
off the top of my head, he is better than TH at blocking but he missed a block against NE and I saw him miss two others yesterday...

carybillsfan
10-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Thats an unfair comparison, 19 carries, some backs don't even start getting into rythym until 10 carries. All I can say is 4 games started by TH, 20 carrys/game...no TD's!! When he tripped over his own two feet on 3rd and 1 against NE, I would have benched him then. It just like a goalie in hockey, sometimes you need to change things up to changes the attitude of the team. And I've never seen why everyone is so high on Henry anyways, he's an average back at best, thats all he was in college and all he is today. At least Willis was a gamebreaker in college, maybe he can regain that form.

Ebenezer
10-11-2004, 02:00 PM
It just like a goalie in hockey, sometimes you need to change things up to changes the attitude of the team.

there are 82 games in hockey...16 in football, that is why you don't have the luxury to flip flop RBs and QBs...

btw, I am not high on Henry...but if you want the draft pick he has to succeed...

Mr. Cynical
10-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Simple answer: WM is not getting enough carries. 19? He should get that in one game. He needs reps to get going, and since he never gets those reps, we have no idea what he is capable of.

BAM
10-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Simple answer: WM is not getting enough carries. 19? He should get that in one game. He needs reps to get going, and since he never gets those reps, we have no idea what he is capable of.

Very good Eb. As much as I love Travis Henry, he doesn't seem to have it all together so far this season. That may be the O-line's fault for pathetic blocking, but I have seen him miss some holes, easy passes, blocks, and slip every so often... it just seems to me that he is not all there. Why not let Willis show us what he can do!!!

That being said.. :gobills: :clap:

ryjam282
10-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Exactly. He is a dominant RB. He is a great blocker and so much better receiver then Henry too. I mean what was up with that ball that hit Henry in the face last game...That was pathetic. Willis will be our starter and all the Henry fans are upset cause they know it.

BAM
10-11-2004, 09:03 PM
Very good Eb. As much as I love Travis Henry, he doesn't seem to have it all together so far this season. That may be the O-line's fault for pathetic blocking, but I have seen him miss some holes, easy passes, blocks, and slip every so often... it just seems to me that he is not all there. Why not let Willis show us what he can do!!!

That being said.. :gobills: :clap:

:lolcry: I mean, Cyn. You guys and your god damn avatars.. :rofl:

Mr. Cynical
10-11-2004, 09:18 PM
:lolcry: I mean, Cyn. You guys and your god damn avatars.. :rofl:
:snicker:

Ebenezer
10-11-2004, 10:01 PM
damn, thankfully i have the avatars off...or else i would think i was talking to myself.

finsrclowns
10-11-2004, 10:08 PM
I still love that pitch/option play yesterday to McGahee. The threat to go wide is something Henry doesn't offer and it makes our offense more dangerous. With Bledsoe the D only has to attack the middle. That liability isn't necessarily a fatal problem if you have guys that can expand the perimeter. Evans does that. McGahee does that. Henry doesn't. Reed doesn't.

G. Host
10-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Neither back has been playing well. This is behind the same line who supposedly could run block but not pass block.

Reasons for it include to be L. Smith and terrible blocking by TE's and RBs.

Charlieguide
10-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Yeah, if you read the quotes from MM this week, in response to Ralph Wilson's frustration and suggestion they open up the passing game, MM says this team was built around the running game. :eek2: Then where is it, Mike? Where's the running game? I fully expected the team to get each back 15 carries a game, with an outside shot at two 1000 yard rushers.

At this rate, they're not going to get production from either back, not see any good offers (less than a first rounder means Willis ends up costing us), and we'll have them both back next year. That's probably for the best, anyway, since it's clear you need depth to survive in this league.

I say, keep 'em both, light a fire under the OL, and turn them both loose.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-12-2004, 06:20 AM
Exactly how many people want Mcgahee to start over Henry? I am not sure if that number is very high. I would like to see a small dose of McGahee. That would include short yardage and to give the defense a different aspect. McGahee is a better blocker than TH, he can catch the ball better than TH, and he is better in short yardage.

EDS
10-12-2004, 07:47 AM
Exactly. He is a dominant RB. He is a great blocker and so much better receiver then Henry too. I mean what was up with that ball that hit Henry in the face last game...That was pathetic. Willis will be our starter and all the Henry fans are upset cause they know it.

I want McGahee to succeed as much as the next guy but to call him a dominant running back at this stage in his career is a bit premature. Up until Sunday he had done zero to show he was worthy of such accolades. On Sunday he had a few good runs - mostly to the outside - that showed some promise but not enough for me to go on to anoint him the starter and to definitively say he is a "better" short yardage runner then Henry, etc.

You guys do remember that Henry started off slowly last year as well but ended up with 1300 yards anyway.

BidsJr
10-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Exactly how many people want Mcgahee to start over Henry? I am not sure if that number is very high. I would like to see a small dose of McGahee. That would include short yardage and to give the defense a different aspect. McGahee is a better blocker than TH, he can catch the ball better than TH, and he is better in short yardage.

Count me in as one who wants to see Willis in the Starting Lineup.

You just outlined the different aspects that Willis is better.

McGahee is a better blocker/receiver.......... Willis should be in on all Passing situations to give Cement Foot more time.

Better in short yardage........... Every goal line situation and 2nd/3rd and short.

Looks like that takes care of most of our situations.

Guys I love Travis, but I believe with his problems with every other aspect of the game except smashing it up the gut (when he can keep his feet) he should be happy being the #2 on this team for a few years. I'm not sure he is a number 1 one many other teams in this league.

Turf
10-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Willis has gotten many short yard first downs where it looked like he had no chance and gains a couple of yards over the marker.
Those same types of plays Henry keeps failing on.
Henry isn't right this year. I go for starting Willis to shake up Henry if nothing else.
Oh, and did I say the offensive line sucks?

TedMock
10-12-2004, 09:06 AM
It really sucks because Henry's been a true workhorse for us. He's just not the same. I know the line sucks, but he's missing blocks and running the wrong plays. Something's not right. Maybe there's an injury that we don't know about, maybe the Willis thing really got in his head. Maybe he's not a head-strong guy when there's pressure. I have no idea what the problem is, but there's definitely a problem with him for some reason.

socalfan
10-12-2004, 05:34 PM

How do you explain that?

:rofl: Only problem is he usually blocks the wrong guy.

Ebenezer
10-12-2004, 07:38 PM
:rofl: Only problem is he usually blocks the wrong guy.
touche.