PDA

View Full Version : good site for stat geeks

HenryRules
10-11-2004, 05:25 PM
One of my complaints with people that analyze football is that they always bring up stats without having any clue what the stats actually mean (yds/TD being one of my favourites they bring up).

One of my buddies sent me a link today for a site that actually has some real depth behind their stats (http://www.footballoutsiders.com). The difference here is that they take down and distance into consideration when analyzing things and put some meaning behind stats (i.e. a 3-yard run on 3rd and 2 is a lot better than a 3-yard run on 3rd and 8). It's really an attempt to get something like Sabremetrics for football - although it's much younger.

I'm not saying their stats are the end of discussion or anything, merely some good food for thought.

Some interesting rankings that come about from their stats:
Our OL was not a good rushing line last year. We were about average making short-yardage downs when we ran and got stuffed for negative yards more than most teams in the league.
In the running game, the left side of our OL (Jennings and Brown) was much worse (compared to other teams left side) than the middle of our line (compared to other middles) or the right side (compared to other right sides).

There's a bunch more and I think for anyone interested in stats at all, this site is really worth checking out. I'm not affiliated at all and just found out about it today.

Dozerdog
10-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Wys would love that place

HenryRules
10-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Wys would love that place

He's one of the people referred to in my first paragraph. That guy has no clue how to analyze stats, he only knows how to make calculations.

Charlieguide
10-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Good stuff! Maybe this will be worthwhile for fantasy geeks, too.