X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

Bills at .500 Wk. 8

Many have written off the season as lost, Well look at things this way.. This squad should be 4-4 after our Final game with the Jets.

This team is a pass rush and a healthy Secondary away from being 4-0 instead of 0-4. As bad as the Offense and Defense has been through the first 4 games, this team is close to being successful and beginning to Jell as a unit.

In the last 2 games this team has played at a higher level of intensity than the unit last year that was in many cases not even competitive, especially during that stretch when the "O" couldn't score at all.. Moulds was injured and playing as was Travis so the Run and Pass was somewhat limited.

Last year the defense was ranked high but I had no confidence in it's ability to either shut down any unit in the AFC-E, or change the momentum by causing a turnover or INT. This unit this year has shown the ability to create the Big Turnover, even though at times they have given up the Big play or lacked the ability to Finish the game with killer instincts.

The Offense Last season at times Just looked clueless as how to stretch the field or take the deep downfield shots that play towards Bledsoe's strength. The Head Coach said this O-Line would be a work in progress and would probably take a month to learn to play together as a unit.. He also said that this team would stay with the Bump and Grind it out run game that Gilbride seemed to forget about last year, and he has, so much that even the owner seems to be getting tired of seeing Henry disappear into Jennings Rear End.. We asked to grind it out and that is what we are getting.

I haven't seen Evans slow up on any of those Bombs from Bledsoe and Moulds looks to be back in Pro Bowl form. If Reed can become a PLAYER in this system and the Line can hold up, Look for Moulds to have a Big year.

First things first, we have to get that first illusve win and that should come this following week against the Phins, who might be without Both QB's, Minus the Placekicker Mare as well as missing Two of their starting Defensive down linemen, There is no excuse for this team losing to a team that is that depleted.

That first win will be the key to this teams showing some heart and pride and proving that we are better than an O-for Team. Alot of these guys have alot at stake and do have some pride.

The Line may come around yet and Bledsoe seems to be gaining confidence everytime he releases one of those Deep Balls, Which is still one of the prettiest spirals in the League from the point it is released, It will be key for the Line to stay Healthy.

And can I say that BIG MIKE WILLIAMS may have played his best game as an NFL started by dominating a Former Pro Bowler and excellent pass rusher in Ellis.. Williams will be key to this Line being respectable.

The Only problems I see with the "D" is a Lack of a Rush from Schobel and our banged up secondary, minus these two problems and this Team is a Contender in the AFC-E, but at 0-4 It's all about getting that first Win. Fletcher with 21 tackles, If he plays like that every week Spikes may have to move over on that flight to Hawaii.

Look for this team to Have a good week of Practice and show it is hungry against Miami and notch it's first win this week.. Once we get #1, There is no reason that this team cant go 4-0 over the next Quarter of the season to be at 4-4 by mid-season. It will be cold and loud at the Ralph this weekend and the Bills will be up to the task.

Our next 4 games all could be won by this team playing up to it's potential and eliminating mistakes.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Our team is a pass rush and a secondary away from 4-0?

The defense as a whole has given up under 17 points per game. While they have given up 2 late drives- they are far from the problem.

Our inability to get short yardage converted and stupid penalties are the top reason we are 0-4. Convert those goal line plays, convert 3rd and short, 4th and short- and there are no "Game ending drives"

Plain and simple

Comment

• juice
      • Aug 2003

The Defense lost 2 games on the final drive of the game in two games and wasn't able to Defend against the pass in the other two games.. I'd say the Defensive effort factored into all four loses as much as the "O".. It's just that people like to ***** about Bledsoe and like to make it seem like it's his fault the line hadn't a clue up until this week.

What Passing attack has this D been effective against?

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Demon
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by juice
        Our next 4 games all could be won by this team playing up to it's potential and eliminating mistakes.

Thanks for being so optimistc, but no way. This team can't beat Baltimore. We arn't even sure winners over Miami and Arizona for gods sake, how anyone could say we'll be 4-4 is beyond me.
        Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
          Maybe?
          • Oct 2003

The reason we are 0-4 is because the O is averaging 11 points per game. I don't care what kind of D you have, you can't win with that kind of offensive output.

Comment

• juice
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
            The reason we are 0-4 is because the O is averaging 11 points per game. I don't care what kind of D you have, you can't win with that kind of offensive output.
            In two of those games the "O" put up enough point to give this team the lead, so it was the failure of the defense that resulted in those two loses directly, Jags and Jets games should have been a done deal if this Defense lives up to it's Top Billing.

Pathetic play ay the SS position was the major reason this team couldn't get past the Pats, and another Breakdown in the Defensive Backfield by Baker gave the Raiders the win.

All Four Loses had poor Defensive efforts, and in each game the Offense put up at least a Touchdown, That leaves it up to the "D" to shut out the opposing team if they are a legit Top 5 Defense.

Would the Ravens D have lost those games? They have won over the past few seasons with their Offense putting up less than spectacular #'s, it's just that their D is as good as advertised.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

In two of those games the "O" put up enough point to give this team the lead, so it was the failure of the defense that resulted in those two loses directly, Jags and Jets games should have been a done deal if this Defense lives up to it's Top Billing.

Pathetic play ay the SS position was the major reason this team couldn't get past the Pats, and another Breakdown in the Defensive Backfield by Baker gave the Raiders the win.

All Four Loses had poor Defensive efforts, and in each game the Offense put up at least a Touchdown, That leaves it up to the "D" to shut out the opposing team if they are a legit Top 5 Defense.

Would the Ravens D have lost those games? They have won over the past few seasons with their Offense putting up less than spectacular #'s, it's just that their D is as good as advertised.
              The Ravens O averaged 20.8 ppg in their Super Bowl year. That's alot more than averaging 11 pts a game. That puts enormous amounts of pressure on the D. I'm not saying our D has been "great", but you can't keep putting that kind of pressure on them and expect to win.

Comment

• juice
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
                The Ravens O averaged 20.8 ppg in their Super Bowl year. That's alot more than averaging 11 pts a game. That puts enormous amounts of pressure on the D. I'm not saying our D has been "great", but you can't keep putting that kind of pressure on them and expect to win.
                Good point.. but when the defense fails to hold the Lead on the oppostions final drive twice, then thats not the fault of the "O".

Wire being used at a position that he lacks the skills to play then being picked apart by Brady is not the fault of the "O" either... Sure the Offense could have put up more points, but at the same time the Defense could have made the halftime adjustments to keep the Pats from coverting 3rd downs at will in the second half.

Bakers breakdown in the Raiders game was another example of this D making a Personell mistake and having the Rookie give up the Raiders only TD of the Game.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

Good point.. but when the defense fails to hold the Lead on the oppostions final drive twice, then thats not the fault of the "O".
                  True, but then again if the O can't score enough points to allow the D some wiggle room for mistakes, then the D almost has to play a perfect game. That's not really practical. You baiscally get "X" mistakes in a game before you lose it, and if the O is making 90% of them, it doesn't give the D a fair shot. 7 consecutive punts is the primay reason we lost IMO.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                    • Aug 2003

I will have to agree that we will be 4-4 after 8 games, in week 1 and 5 just one defensive stop and we win those games, in week 1,2 and 4 if we have any kinda of short yardage game (or if Travis doesnt trip over his own feet) we can possibly win those games, face it with just one more play on offense and or defense in each game we could be 4-0 or at least 3-1 so though it sucks being 0-4 there is the possibility to be 4-4 after 8 games

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if if, if, if ....

Comment

• juice
                        • Aug 2003

Ravens have no pass game

Originally posted by Demon
                        This team can't beat Baltimore.
                        It will be hard for the Ravens to score without any offensive production.. seems like they are about ready to bench Boller for Kordell.

Comment

• Iehoshua
                          • Jan 2003

Bills can go 12-0.

Bills can win the rest.

Bills won't lose anymore.

These outcomes are all possible. However they are not very probable. Stating this after every loss is getting very damn old. Let's win ONE game before we start talking about being at .500 midseason. Some people are living in fantasyland and have gone way beyond optimism.

Comment

• NapalmDeath
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Darth Buffalo
                            Bills can go 12-0.

Bills can win the rest.

Bills won't lose anymore.

There's truth to the saying Buffalo is a drinking town with a football problem, where a passionate fan base believes it has more answers than Ken Jennings on "Jeopardy."

Comment

• Demon
                              • Mar 2003

It will be hard for the Ravens to score without any offensive production.. seems like they are about ready to bench Boller for Kordell.
                              If we had Kordell as the backup, we'd be benching our starter for him too.

Their defense is gonna shut us down, their defense is going to give their offense good field positioning and their defense will force turnovers and possibily even score.

Their offense isn't as bad as ours and their defense is better then ours. I don't see them killing us, but i don't see us scoring over 10 points either. So even a 7-3 loss or a 9-6 loss is still a loss no matter what way you look at it.
                              Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X