• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fushetti
    President of the Rick Jeanneret Fanclub
    • Feb 2003

So, What happens when Ralph kicks?

I remember a while back (when he was merely turning 80) there was an issue with a huge estate tax in the 100's of millions that would have to be paid if his daughters took over the club. I don't see any suitable buyers in the WNY area with the kind of jack necessary to buy the club...

Does anyone know anything?
    "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
    Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Ted Darling "Voice of the Sabres"
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

After years of mediocrity and dismay for the fans...the bills will be purchased by an investment group headed up by Tom Donahoe and moved to Mobile Alabama.

Comment

• fushetti
      • Feb 2003

i'm starting to think thats not that far fetched!
      "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
      Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

when The Old Fart kicks the bucket and if the Bills move,i WILL NOT root for THAT team.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Demon
          • Mar 2003

Like everything else in Western NY....... we will all turn our heads and look at Tom Golisano.

But he will have to give up the Sabres so i donno about that.
          Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
            • May 2003

I fully believe that propective owners will be lining up to buy this team and keep it here. There are many factors why I think they will stay:

1. The stadium is paid for. The price of the Bills comes with a recently renovated stadium. Buy a team, get a stadium for free!!!
            2. The fan base is solid and they sell out or come close even when the team sucks.
            3. The team receives most of the money (not sure if it is all) from parking and concessions.
            4. The team has a solid facility.
            5. Ralph/The Bills are usually in the top 20 in money makers.
            6. The Buffalo market is in the top 5 in TV ratings even if the Bills aren't playing. I have seen them a lot of times third behind like NY and LA. I don't think the NFL wants to see this market lost. I don't think I would be watching pro football anymore.
            7. Paul Tagliabu or whoever is the commisioner in 2006 or 2008, whenever his contract is up, would be hunted down and killed by someone in Buffalo (maybe more than one)
            8. The team knows that it can rake Erie county over the coals.
            9. I think there are rich men that have a lot of interest in the Bills (Business Backs The Bills) that would be willing to get involved in saving the Bills in Buffalo.

Reasons the team could move:
            1. You never know what some wacko billionaire or city would pay to have a team in some city (AKA - Baltimore)
            2. The out-clause in moving the team is not a very high price, it might be like a million bucks.
            3. The team continues to be the 2000 version of the Cardinals and fans start not showing up.
            4. The city of Buffalo continues to decline and the city Government continues to destroy the economy of the city and they can't give the Bills anymore, yet they will be forced to help finance a brand new whatever billion dollar facility for the NY Jets.
            Last edited by TheGhostofJimKelly; 10-13-2004, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

when Ralph dies the team stays here through the probate of the will and all the legal stuff...then the crap hits the fan and the NFL looks for a local investment group to pony upwards of $1Billion. After the local crap a collective brick the rich around here figure out that they would rather go to Shea's or the BPO than a Bills game. At that point the team is sold and moved out of town.

Nobody wanted to pony up $65 mil for the Sabres how are we going to come up with $1B?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                • May 2003

The NHL isn't the NFL. That is like saying should I buy the Wal*Mart computer that is broken and may never work again or spend the extra $100 for an IBM that is virtually guaranteed to work forever.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                  Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

IBM

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
                    • Aug 2004

maybe HOward STern would buy the team
                    http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• fushetti
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by BuffaloJayhawk
                      maybe HOward STern would buy the team

HEY NOW... Robin, what do u think of the king of all media owning an NFL team
                      Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                        IBM

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

I don't see the NFL playing MLB and supporting a team until ownership groups come forward. There better be an immediate move, or a group already in place. I don't know personally, but I've been told that it's common knowledge back home that the children don't want that inheritance. It could end up being a Redskins situation where Jack Kent Cook's kids couldn't afford the estate taxes and had to relinquish the team. Then they were out-bid by the worst owner in sports...Dan Snyder.

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
                            • Aug 2004

hopefully there is someone that wnats to keep the team here. Maybe the CEO of Tim Hortons
                            http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• superbills
                              • Mar 2003

Galisano, I believe, would be first in line. SOmething tells me that he wanted to establish a presence in Buffalo with his Sabres purchase and will look to get the Bills franchise as well, to offset the costs of running the perennial money-losing Sabres. Can he own both of them, or is there a stipulation that says an owner cannot have a stake in another pro sports franchise?
                              "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                              Ronald Reagan
                              40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

Working...
                              X