PDA

View Full Version : A few more things about Shaw's release

LABillsFan
10-14-2004, 12:31 AM
MM gave props to Aiken for his work in practice and his willingness to block after the Jets game. After listening to the interview with Shaw, he said while at Pitt during MM's 1st year as OC, his numbers dropped there as well. MM probably had him on his radar and was waiting for someone to step up to take his spot. I don't mind the move especially at 0-4. Give the younger players more playing time, let them get used to the game. It will only help JP in the long run.

gimpy
10-14-2004, 01:02 AM
MM gave props to Aiken for his work in practice and his willingness to block after the Jets game. After listening to the interview with Shaw, he said while at Pitt during MM's 1st year as OC, his numbers dropped there as well. MM probably had him on his radar and was waiting for someone to step up to take his spot. I don't mind the move especially at 0-4. Give the younger players more playing time, let them get used to the game. It will only help JP in the long run.
Aiken is a pure outside WR, I think this move was made to light a fire under Reed.

BTW, nice sig line..

"are we awake?" :roflmao:

LABillsFan
10-14-2004, 01:08 AM
BTW, nice sig line..

"are we awake?" :roflmao:

Thanks.

I don't think Aiken will subplant Reed yet, but there will have to be someone to take more snaps at Shaws position.

LABillsFan
10-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Am I making sense? I can't tell, been up since 4am. Good night now.

gimpy
10-14-2004, 01:46 AM
Am I making sense? I can't tell, been up since 4am. Good night now.
If you meant Reed will now be the go-to-guy in the slot.. then you made perfect sense.. :tip:

northernbillfan
10-14-2004, 05:11 AM
Thanks.

I don't think Aiken will subplant Reed yet, but there will have to be someone to take more snaps at Shaws position.
He won't ever replace Reed, but now that Reed and Evans are two and three, (or three and two, depending on how you look at it) Aiken can be utilised as Shaw was. And succeed there, but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Reed.

ryven
10-14-2004, 06:59 AM
He won't ever replace Reed, but now that Reed and Evans are two and three, (or three and two, depending on how you look at it) Aiken can be utilised as Shaw was. And succeed there, but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Reed.

Why don't you think he can be better than Reed? Reed really has not shown much this year(which I hope changes).

Jayhawk
10-14-2004, 07:22 AM
If you meant Reed will now be the go-to-guy in the slot.. then you made perfect sense.. :tip:
yeah I think that's what he meant

mybills
10-14-2004, 07:30 AM
I don't think Shaw was all that bad last year, and it's early now..there has to be more of a reason for this other than Pitts - O/C coach stuff. :idunno:

Then again, I haven't read all of the threads and articles on it yet. :;

The King
10-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Shaw Not Productive Enough: Coach Mularkey said the team could be more productive at wide receiver and that is why they released Bobby Shaw. He expects Sam Aiken to get more reps as well as Drew Haddad who is expected to be activated from the practice squad. He said he's not picking on one guy but that is "the nature of the beast". He said he isn't looking at Shaw as a scape goat though. He feels Shaw wasn't productive enough in the total package of games, meetings, and practice.

Hmmmm cut Shaw to activate Haddad I dont like this move much. Bledsoe also commented about Shaws release stating he was productive on 3rd down and he is sad to see him go.

finsrclowns
10-14-2004, 08:09 AM
He won't ever replace Reed

Yeah, how could Aiken ever replace Reed's 4 catches for 47 yards and 3 drops? :headscrat

Hemlepp53
10-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Yeah, how could Aiken ever replace Reed's 4 catches for 47 yards and 3 drops? :headscrat

Good Point.... :shocked:

Jan Reimers
10-14-2004, 09:49 AM
The upside to this is that Aiken will get more playing time. He is a good receiver and a willing blocker. We were getting very little from Shaw and Reed. I'd like to see Reed go to 5 in this shake up, just to build a fire under him, with Aiken at 3 and Haddad at 4.

Demon
10-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Shaw Not Productive Enough: Coach Mularkey said the team could be more productive at wide receiver and that is why they released Bobby Shaw. He expects Sam Aiken to get more reps as well as Drew Haddad who is expected to be activated from the practice squad. He said he's not picking on one guy but that is "the nature of the beast". He said he isn't looking at Shaw as a scape goat though. He feels Shaw wasn't productive enough in the total package of games, meetings, and practice.

Hmmmm cut Shaw to activate Haddad I dont like this move much. Bledsoe also commented about Shaws release stating he was productive on 3rd down and he is sad to see him go.

This whole season is becoming a disaster. Kinda like end of last season, with all the problems with practice and Ruben Brown not allowed to practice and this and that. Bobby Shaw was a solid WR and is a better WR in today's game then Sam Aiken or Josh Reed. And Reed has not shown anything in his entire career in Buffalo, what makes anyone think he ever will? Mularkey hyped Reed in the off-season saying he can work the magic he did with Hines Ward but bottom line is, Reed will never be a #1 or #2 WR in the NFL.

Aiken i don't see being much of either in the NFL. Shaw is the scape goat and IMO i bet Shaw said or did something and was cut for it to show the younger players a example that if you keep making bad penalties and keep on playing like you don't care then you will not last in Buffalo.

It's too bad, because even though we're 0-4 and have almost no chance at the playoffs, we're still a better team WITH Shaw then we are WITHOUT Shaw.

Hopefully Shaw lands somewhere good. God i hate Donahoe!

Dozerdog
10-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Shaw getting drilled by the ball- IN THE BACK OF HIS JERSEY was enough for me.

He was practically next to the LOS, so he had a front row view to the blitz. For once Bledsoe read it right, got it to the guy he was supposed to- and Shaw was daydreaming on it.

Throne Logic
10-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Well, there are a couple of other minor potential benefits, too.

1) Maybe we'll finally get our starting DB's out of the kick return game before we have to make Moulds play both sides of the ball. Drew Haddad might be the guy given that chance.

2) It was mentioned that about $900K would be saved off of next year's CAP. That might be a significant factoid come next February when we're trying to sign Pat Williams or some new FA OL.

Jan Reimers
10-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Bobby Shaw was a solid WR and is a better WR in today's game then Sam Aiken or Josh Reed.

Aiken i don't see being much of either in the NFL.

I don't know how you can make this kind of judgment about Aiken. He was a rookie last year, and injured for a good portion of the season. He has good hands, is bigger, stronger and faster thsn Shaw, and a better blocker. I think he will make an excellent number 3 receiver.

Reed, I agree, has done little to distinguish himself, but has some upside. With Shaw, you knew what you had, which wasn't very much this year.

superbills
10-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Who the hell cares about Bobby frickin' Shaw? A move needed to be made and it was. We got rid of someone expendable at the position that we are deepest at on the team. It was a calculated and, IMO, riskless move that sends a message that the staff is willing to make changes. Is it sheer brilliance? No. But, it should be effective enough to get the point across. Now we only need to demote Reed to number 4 (Haddad ahead of Reed is suicide) and our receiver corps will be in good shape.

Jan Reimers
10-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Now we only need to demote Reed to number 4 (Haddad ahead of Reed is suicide) and our receiver corps will be in good shape.
It seems to me that putting Reed on the field in any meaningful situation is suicide - and I was once a big fan of his.

LABillsFan
10-14-2004, 08:36 PM

Yep that's what I meant. Thanks for deciphering my giberish.

Mr. Cynical
10-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Hmmmm cut Shaw to activate Haddad I dont like this move much. Bledsoe also commented about Shaws release stating he was productive on 3rd down and he is sad to see him go.Bingo. Something's fishy.

Charlieguide
10-14-2004, 11:48 PM
What really stands out to me is MM's reference to 'the total package of games, meetings, and practice.' Whether or not Shaw made plays or caught balls, it appears he wasn't on the right page. This is probably something the players and coaches will understand better than we ever will, and we'll just have to trust MM on it. I hope it sends the right message; we'll probably know soon enough.

Michael82
10-15-2004, 05:06 AM
The biggest thing this does is that it proves Tom Donahoe is not 100% in control anymore. Mike Mularkey has the right to make personnel changes, which is something Gregg could never really do.