PDA

View Full Version : Moulds favors opening up Bills passing attack

kardshark19
10-15-2004, 03:11 AM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Receiver Eric Moulds is all for owner Ralph Wilson's suggestion that the Buffalo Bills open up their passing attack.

``I think we've got the players to open it up,'' Moulds said Thursday. ``We've been coming out trying to establish the run game. And I think we're going to try to continue to establish the run. But at the same time, we need to throw the ball a little more.''

Moulds' comments came after Wilson criticized his team's offense for being boring following Buffalo's 16-14 loss Sunday at the New York Jets. Saying he was tired of smashmouth football, Wilson said he'd rather quarterback Drew Bledsoe throw the ball deep more often, even if it meant risking interceptions.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-passing&prov=ap&type=lgns

BAM
10-15-2004, 07:15 AM
Something needs to be done. I don't care how they do it, but it needs to be fixed! It seems to me we've had some success when we do go long, so maybe Moulds is right.

justasportsfan
10-15-2004, 07:19 AM
``You just can't go and have seven-step drops all the time,'' Moulds said. ``There's a lot of ways that you can get the ball down the field. You just have to get creative and do it.''

With Mularkey supposedly being a Offensive expert, I wonder why he doesn't use the screen pass more like the Pats. Brady has gained more yards doing it. It doesn't require a lot of time for the qb to hold on to the ball.

The King
10-15-2004, 07:34 AM
``You just can't go and have seven-step drops all the time,'' Moulds said. ``There's a lot of ways that you can get the ball down the field. You just have to get creative and do it.'' Moulds From the Yahoo article.

I think this is a key point most people are missing, going deep doesnt mean 5 WR sets. It means breaking the defense away from the screen passes and the dink and dunk. Which isnt really all that successful in this offense. You can still be conservative and not run on both 1st and 2nd downs. Bledsoe has spent his whole career throwing the 10 yard+ ball and Mularkey is taking away the best part of his game, he is taking away what essentially Drew is made of. Having Bledsoe in this offense is like having a rottweiler hump a chihuaha (however you spell it) IT JUST DONT FIT.

A good head coach plays to his teams strengths, its just fact its like this all around the league and last time I checked almost every team has a win!
I know Mularkey wanted to play smashmouth and ball control that was 'HIS' gameplan. Its clearly not working and this early in his career its too early to be stubborn.