PDA

View Full Version : Bills coach sees light at end of dark tunnel

The_Philster
10-16-2004, 05:25 AM
Never mind that his Buffalo offense scored a grand total of 37 points in its first three games, then punted on its first seven possessions of game No. 4 against the New York Jets last Sunday.

Mike Mularkey, as any coach with an 0-4 record would do, is trying to accentuate the positives and that means he spent this past week focusing on what happened in the fourth quarter of the Bills' 16-14 loss to the Jets....more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041016/SPORTS03/410160315/1021)

I guess that's all right as long as he doesn't take anything as a positive in the last couple of minutes :cynic:

shelby
10-16-2004, 05:37 AM
and in his weekly power rankings, Matt Pitzer of USA Today Sports Weekly had an interesting one-liner describing the Bills' plight: "Looking less likely that the coaches (meaning Williams and Gilbride) were the problem."

He may have a point there....

HenryRules
10-16-2004, 02:24 PM
"I don't think we're going to change our whole offensive philosophy because when we've done it right, it's worked," Mularkey said. "We believe in it as a staff and I know this team does because you would know if there was doubt, and there's not."

Remind anyone of someone who was here not too long ago?

Mr. Cynical
10-16-2004, 02:25 PM
He may have a point there....
Bills Offense under Gilbride: 15 ppg
Bills Offense under Clements: 11 ppg

Same starters.

Who is reponsible?

TD.

I really wish more media heat would get cracking on him so that Ralph fires him.

Throne Logic
10-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Bills Offense under Gilbride: 15 ppg
Bills Offense under Clements: 11 ppg

Same starters.

Gilbride's numbers are bolstered by the first half of 2002's season.

Besides, Mularky isn't bull-headed enough to throw the ball on 80 consecutive 3rd and short plays.

HenryRules
10-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Besides, Mularky isn't bull-headed enough to throw the ball on 80 consecutive 3rd and short plays.

Not bullheaded at all:

"I don't think we're going to change our whole offensive philosophy because when we've done it right, it's worked," Mularkey said. "We believe in it as a staff and I know this team does because you would know if there was doubt, and there's not."

Now, the philosophies may be different, but that's as bull-headed as Gilbride was.

TigerJ
10-16-2004, 05:21 PM
The curious part about all of this is that on one hand Mularkey said he wants to build on the positives in the fourth quarter of the Jets game, then steadfastly insists that the Bills aren't about to move to a more wide open offence. Well, Buffalo scored their points when the game circumstances forced them to play a wide open offence. Go figure.

Actually I agree that the Bills should not turn Gilbridesque in their offensive philosophy, particularly against the Dolphins who have been stronger versus the pass than versus the run. I would like to see a little more variation in the play calling. In particular, Eric Moulds should not be the only guy with more than one reception. Sure, he's gonna get more than anyone else in most games, but if he's getting more than half the receptions that spells predictability. Some of that is on Bledsoe who tends to focus in on Moulds, everyone else being an afterthought, but Sam Wyche and Clements need to address that, get into Bledsoe's head and get him to think a little differently.

Typ0
10-16-2004, 09:35 PM
The Bills currently rank 28th in yards, 29th in yards per play, 32nd in sacks allowed per pass attempt, 25th in first downs and 31st in points.

we suck bad.

Hemlepp53
10-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Hmmm.. We Should Be Better Off Than We Are.... It's Not The Coaching It's The Decissions That Are Made By TD And Personal...