PDA

View Full Version : The Players On This Team Are Coddled

Turf
10-16-2004, 08:32 PM
IMO, the reason for the season after season demise of this team, when on PAPER anyways they appear to be talented, is the coddling of the players by rookie coaches.
I would love, and I mean love, to have a coach say to Travis Henry, you are not starting today, I'm the coach, and you'll play when I say so.
That's what this team needs, a powerful head coach to send a message.
The problem is, Ralph doesn't like dominating head coaches, and TD's ego is too fragile to allow it after Cowher.
Let's face is, personnel is also a reflection of coaching and what the player can get away with. Look at the penalties year after year. If most of us were the head coach we'd be spitting bullets by the 2nd quarter on the sidelines. Under Parcells the message is clear. I don't care who you are or what you do, if you &^*% up, you sit or are gone.
And THAT, is what this team needs.
I'm not talking about an abusive coach, but a coach that let's the players know there is no security in mediocrity. The team comes first, you come last.

Charlieguide
10-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Isn't that what they did with Mike Williams in the offseason? And when they cut Shaw?

Last week, MM chewed out the offense, and they went on a 14-point run. I think he's realized the same thing you have. I just hope it works before he ends up benching the entire offense.

ArcticWildMan
10-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Two words: TOM COUGHLIN.

Nuf said.

imbondz
10-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Two words: TOM COUGHLIN.

Nuf said.

he said not an abusive coach. I was thinking this same thing. I believe the lack of success has been because of the constant coaching changes-it's a revolving door every 2-3 years, and the lack of discipline from the coaches

Turf
10-16-2004, 09:04 PM
I haven't seen a Bills coach chew out a player on the sidelines once I don't think in 20 years. Now maybe I'm missing a camera angle or something, but something's wrong with that.
At least Wade and Marv threw a fit once in a while.
Mike Williams got off easy when you think about it.
And Coughlin, as abusive as he may be, the players aren't complaining anymore with a winning record. I'd take him over what we've got.
Is cutting Shaw a message, yeah a small one. Is benching Williams or Reed, or Henry or even Bledsoe when Losman is ready an even stronger message? I think so. Even if it's for a couple series.

Patti120
10-16-2004, 09:06 PM
We need a solid head coach with the above mentioned attributes and right now we can all just hope MM proves to be that man.

ArcticWildMan
10-16-2004, 09:08 PM
We need a solid head coach with the above mentioned attributes and right now we can all just hope MM proves to be that man.

Yep. I think it's pretty obvious that the major problem with this team is the talent (or lack there of). The sad thing is, it'll take 2 years to rebuild our offensive line and get a secondary worth a damn.

Turf
10-16-2004, 09:13 PM
BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the last head coach to be a coach in Buffalo with any head coaching experience was Marv Levy (1988?), and that was after a failed Kansas City and CFL stint. And before that, Knox (1981 maybe).

Turf
10-16-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm not putting everything on the coaches. The offensive line is TD's biggest flop. It's what's really killing this team more than anything.