• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

Explain that touching ball out-of-downs

I was in bathroom during that kick where Miami player touched ball while out of bounds and they diid not replay it. Tell me what happened? Referee screwup or another "retaining possession while unconscious" rule.
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by G. Host
    I was in bathroom during that kick where Miami player touched ball while out of bounds and they diid not replay it. Tell me what happened? Referee screwup or another "retaining possession while unconscious" rule.

If the player is out of bounds and touch an inbounds ball the ball is called out of bounds, therefor when Wes Walker was standing out of bounds and picked up an inbounds ball it was called out of bounds and therefor a penalty which allowed them to go to the 40, it is a 100% legal play and very smart on the part of Walker. Hope that helps.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• G. Host
      Banned
      • Jul 2002

It is a rule which needs to be changed and until it is changed the ST coach needs to teach ST's players how to play it.

Comment

• helmetguy
        Touch the helmet for luck
        • Sep 2002

I haven't watched the tape yet, but I'm guessing that the officials were saying the ball was out of bounds before the INELIGIBLE player touched it. If it was still in the field of play while he touched it with one foot in the paint, it should be called Illegal Touching and assessed accordingly.
        Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
        And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by helmetguy
          I haven't watched the tape yet, but I'm guessing that the officials were saying the ball was out of bounds before the INELIGIBLE player touched it. If it was still in the field of play while he touched it with one foot in the paint, it should be called Illegal Touching and assessed accordingly.
          Wrong. There is an obscure rule. Heads up play on the fins part. I never heard of the rule before that. A lame rule anyway...

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Funny enough it was used in a college game earlier in the week wonder if Walker saw it there?
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
              Funny enough it was used in a college game earlier in the week wonder if Walker saw it there?
              I'd say we are going to see it more often. We even had a chance in an earlier kickoff that was near the sidelines.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

I just did it in Madden!!
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• lordofgun
                  in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                  Morton also did the same thing on Sunday Night Football last week.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
                    Ah. It's still a stupid rule.

Comment

• lordofgun
                      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

yep

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun

we were talking about that at Santora's too.it was perfectly legal and a smart play.
                        Originally posted by yordad
                        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• helmetguy
                          Touch the helmet for luck
                          • Sep 2002

Thanks fo the clarification. Think maybe the competition committee might look at it in the offseason? I think, if you're OB and felf the ball there, you should have to take the ball where you fielded it.
                          Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                          And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                            • Jan 2003

It is as stupid as the rule that if, as a defensive player, your pinky toe is touching the goalline, but the ball is on the one when you try to down a punt, it is a touchback. I think it should be where the BALL is. If an offensive player is in the endzone but the ball is not, it isn't a touchdown.

They will never change the rule. Now we just have to get a player to use it to his advantage when we can. Like an offensive fumble near the sidelines just has to be touched from a player out of bounds and the offense will retain possession.

Comment

• Iehoshua
                              • Jan 2003

I remember seeing it in another game last week. Very poor rule. If the ball stops in the field of play then its should be playable. If the player fields it out of bounds, that is where the ball should be spotted.

Unless someone has a good explination for that rule, I'm all ears...

Comment

Working...
                              X