PDA

View Full Version : Cap Implications if Sam Adams were cut...

Ebenezer
10-18-2004, 08:40 AM
This was asked yesterday...basically...

SA is a vested veteran...his salary is guarenteed for this season because he was on the roster for the opening game

2004:
Base Salary: $2,000,000
Bonus: $1,375,000

If he were to be cut anytime before 6/1/05 his amoratized bonus money from 2006 would escalate into 2005...his base salaries would, of course, disappear...

2005:
Bonuses: $625,000

2006:
Bonuses: $500,000

I am not sure how the bonuses break down but at the worst case scenario (if these numbers are correct and according to CP they are) the Bills would save $1.5M towards the cap in 2005 and $2.5mil in 2006. IF they cut him after 6/1/05 the savings would be $2Mil in each year.

The_Philster
10-18-2004, 08:42 AM
thanks for the info, Eb :up:

tampabay25690
10-18-2004, 09:39 AM
I don't see him on the team next year at all....

It will be a good cut next year!!!

HenryRules
10-18-2004, 04:59 PM
I really hope we hang onto Sam Adams. He's one of the few guys on our team who has been on teams that have had playoff success. Knowing what it takes to win in the playoffs (handling the pressure, noise, expectations, etc.) is just as, if not more, important than having talent/desire. We need more guys like Sam Adams, not less.

FTG
10-18-2004, 05:44 PM
We need more guys like Sam Adams, not less.

We need more guys that refuse a coachs order? I don't think so.

The_Philster
10-18-2004, 05:46 PM
fighting with the coaching staff isn't a good example of what it takes to win. The only thing that might support his stance is how a number of starters fought against coming out of Game 2 of the 1990 season against the Fish.

HenryRules
10-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Sam Adams was told to come off the field and refused to ... fine, that's not something that can be excused. But I'd much rather prefer to have someone in there who wants to help the team win the damned game than someone who is happy to pick up a paycheck and sit on the sidelines.

Tell me ... who do we have on our team that is known for helping teams make that leap to the Super Bowl? Before coming to Buffalo, Sam Adams had that reputation. His play has been solid while he's been here and he's done nothing to convince me that he doesn't deserve his reputation.

Was he wrong here? Probably ... is it worth cutting him for and is it worth evaluating his entire time on that one series? Hell no.

Drew can help us lose games left and right with the same stupid decisions and you say "It's not just his fault". Up until now, Sam Adams has done nothing but play solid D and all of a sudden he's worth getting rid of?

FTG
10-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Adams is ripping the defensive play calling in Bills Digest too. You can't have that. I'm not saying cut him but I would suspend him for 1 game to get him the message he had better shut his mouth.

The_Philster
10-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Adams is ripping the defensive play calling in Bills Digest too. You can't have that. I'm not saying cut him but I would suspend him for 1 game to get him the message he had better shut his mouth.
personally, I just think he should be put on the bench for a quarter or so and kept on a short leash. If he causes another problem, suspend him

HenryRules
10-18-2004, 06:10 PM
personally, I just think he should be put on the bench for a quarter or so and kept on a short leash. If he causes another problem, suspend him

That's the most gutless thing I've ever heard of. First you say that what he did is almost impossible to support ... now you're saying to sit him for a couple of series as punishment?

If what he did is worth punishing, then punish him, suspend him for a game or more. Putting him on the bench for a quarter is laughable.

I think he should be suspended for game or two ... but cut? No way.

The_Philster
10-18-2004, 06:16 PM
First you say that what he did is almost impossible to support .link?

Michael82
10-18-2004, 06:17 PM
I noticed that too. If you got a player who is criticizing the coaches and calling them out in the official Bills magazine, plus fighting with the coaches during a game. You need to make a statement that you will not put up with this ****. Maybe cutting him isn't the answer, but he should at least get fined or benched for a game.

HenryRules
10-18-2004, 07:00 PM
link?

Just a bit earlier in the thread ...

The only thing that might support his stance is how a number of starters fought against coming out of Game 2 of the 1990 season against the Fish.

<i>The only thing that might support</i> ... that to me sounds pretty damned similar to "Almost impossible to support".

The_Philster
10-18-2004, 07:55 PM
:spit:

G. Host
10-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Doesn't make sense to cut him since he is a vested veteran. Penalize him with game checks until he is willing to do what he is being paid to do. Sammy Morris was breaking through his tackles all game and it is just him acting up to try to make it look like he is being a team leader rather than he was beat by a back who knew his weaknesses too much.

askabry
10-19-2004, 06:46 AM
I think he should be suspended for game or two ... but cut? No way.

so you don't think Belichek did the right thing by cutting a DB that failed to cover the kickoff?
you don't think Shaw's being cut was justified?

Mularkey used the word discipline, saying it would be handled "behind closed doors" and said it was a "heat of the moment" issue. Sorry. Football IS A HEAT OF THE MOMENT issue. Players that can keep their heads during the heat of the moment win you games; those that cannot lose you games.

This is precisely what Marv Levy was at when he made the famous quote about smart players ... which of course I've forgotten :(. Our defense in particular can't handle itself in the heat of the moment, with our defensive captain for chrissakes kicking the ball even after the HC talked about it to the press the week before.

Cutting Sam would have been justified. Benching him for the game is justified. Letting him play is not, and every similar "heat of the moment lack of discipline" misstep the team makes after that point will be brought right back to this doorstep.

ryjam282
10-19-2004, 06:52 AM
Sam Adams was told to come off the field and refused to ... fine, that's not something that can be excused. But I'd much rather prefer to have someone in there who wants to help the team win the damned game than someone who is happy to pick up a paycheck and sit on the sidelines.

Tell me ... who do we have on our team that is known for helping teams make that leap to the Super Bowl? Before coming to Buffalo, Sam Adams had that reputation. His play has been solid while he's been here and he's done nothing to convince me that he doesn't deserve his reputation.

Was he wrong here? Probably ... is it worth cutting him for and is it worth evaluating his entire time on that one series? Hell no.

Drew can help us lose games left and right with the same stupid decisions and you say "It's not just his fault". Up until now, Sam Adams has done nothing but play solid D and all of a sudden he's worth getting rid of?

My thoughts exactly. We can't dump him. He is a solid DT and a big help to this team. Maybe he was out of position cause of the playcalling (he could have been sent to different gaps and whatnot). Sam is a solid player and I am glad he is here. If we get rid of him, then what? He and Pat have shut down the middle for over a year now. Nothing is gonna change.

HenryRules
10-19-2004, 07:34 AM
so you don't think Belichek did the right thing by cutting a DB that failed to cover the kickoff?
you don't think Shaw's being cut was justified?

Belichek's releasing Mayer made sense. Yes. Belichek's benching of Bethel Johnson for a single game also made sense.

I don't think Shaw's being cut was justified for the reasons given. He was playing ahead of Reed and Aiken ... if he was doing so poorly, why were they not on the field. Cutting Shaw is a good way to build for the future at receiver ... not anything else. This is from the outside because I do not know the specifics. It may be justified based on what happened behind closed doors, but they won't say, so I can't.

There is not one single solution for every problem ... it's not "This guy did something wrong ... Cut him!!" As your model Belichek showed, sometimes you get great results by benching a guy, but sometimes you also need to cut someone.

I think it was Jackie Stewart who said "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser". If I'm Mularkey/Gray, deep down, I'm happy that someone is showing emotion on this team. 0-4 and trailing at half-time, if the team isn't showing some signs of aggitation that means they don't care. It doesn't mean that this move is excusable and that's why I say to bench him for a game or two ... but it also shows that Sam Adams actually cares about winning.

I played hockey, lacrosse, and football competetively as a kid and have coached each as well ... and (depending on the age) it's pretty easy to tell if you are going to have a bad season during training camp (if there aren't any fights among the kids that are borderline cuts) or during a significant losing streak (if there isn't some tension within the team). Obviously, you don't want things to go overboard ... but emotion is a good sign.

askabry
10-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Good response overall. If Jackie Stewart that said that, then I think he was quoting Mickey Mantle who had written it in his autobiography and it's a favored quote of mine. (Another favored Mickey line ... those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.)

Like you, I don't think there is a single response to the offense, and I've written that cutting him is justified and sitting him for a game is justified. What is not justified is letting it go, and saying it's a "heat of the moment" offense. Like you, I've coached and played competitive sports and never in my life have I allowed my players/teammates or allowed myself to act in the way Sam Adams did. Most who know me would say I am a VERY emotional person.

If every player was emotional in the way Sam was, you'd have chaos. It is simply unacceptable behavior and especially if it's repeated behavior. Yes ... I want players with passion. I believe Drew has passion; so does Moulds and so does Henry. You can't play the game without it especially at the level of the NFL. Smart players control their passion and direct it at the correct place.

Belichek's releasing Mayer made sense. Yes. Belichek's benching of Bethel Johnson for a single game also made sense.

I don't think Shaw's being cut was justified for the reasons given. He was playing ahead of Reed and Aiken ... if he was doing so poorly, why were they not on the field. Cutting Shaw is a good way to build for the future at receiver ... not anything else. This is from the outside because I do not know the specifics. It may be justified based on what happened behind closed doors, but they won't say, so I can't.

There is not one single solution for every problem ... it's not "This guy did something wrong ... Cut him!!" As your model Belichek showed, sometimes you get great results by benching a guy, but sometimes you also need to cut someone.

I think it was Jackie Stewart who said "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser". If I'm Mularkey/Gray, deep down, I'm happy that someone is showing emotion on this team. 0-4 and trailing at half-time, if the team isn't showing some signs of aggitation that means they don't care. It doesn't mean that this move is excusable and that's why I say to bench him for a game or two ... but it also shows that Sam Adams actually cares about winning.

I played hockey, lacrosse, and football competetively as a kid and have coached each as well ... and (depending on the age) it's pretty easy to tell if you are going to have a bad season during training camp (if there aren't any fights among the kids that are borderline cuts) or during a significant losing streak (if there isn't some tension within the team). Obviously, you don't want things to go overboard ... but emotion is a good sign.

askabry
10-19-2004, 09:04 AM
Just one other thing ... it is simply BECAUSE Sam is so good, because he is seen as team leader that he MUST CONFORM to the coaches decisions or face consequences. When those in the lead go awry, the lack of discipline throughout an organization is inevitable.

And all I need do is point out that the defensive captain pointedly disregarded this head coach in game two, and in that and subsequent games we've shown no discipline on defense.

In the one win we've had, we did not defeat ourselves. This is the one constant thing out of the players mouths.