PDA

View Full Version : Here's an article on the whole Sam Adams incident...

Michael82
10-18-2004, 06:25 PM
The Buffalo Bills may have a 6-foot-3, 340-pound problem on their hands.

Defensive tackle Sam Adams was benched during the second half of Sunday's 20-13 win over the Miami Dolphins.

Bills coach Mike Mularkey said Adams was pulled because the team felt backup Ron Edwards played better. Edwards finished the game with a career-high two sacks and four tackles.

"We just felt like we were getting done what we wanted done with Ron Edwards," Mularkey said. "He was being extremely disruptive and just kept that flow going."

Adams didn't want to comment on his benching as he left Ralph Wilson Stadium, but his facial expression spoke volumes.
Adams is known for his run-stuffing ability, but the Bills apparently felt he wasn't getting the job done against the Dolphins. Many of Dolphins running back Sammy Morris' career-high 91 yards came on draw plays up the middle, though other defenders missed tackles.

After a Morris run late in the first quarter, Bills coaches tried to replace Adams with Justin Bannan, but Adams refused to come off the field. Bannan ended up replacing Pat Williams.

Adams eventually came to the sideline, where he had a heated exchange with defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and defensive line coach Tim Krumrie.

In a fit of anger, Adams threw his helmet to the turf. Jonas Jennings and Lawyer Milloy tried to calm Adams at the Bills' bench.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041018/1060388.asp?tbd1060388.asp

TigerJ
10-18-2004, 08:22 PM
I heard on WGR about comments made by Mularkey after the game regarding the incident. The gist of what dMularkey said was that they would handle it in house and did not want to comment on what the Bills would say to Adams, or what action they might take. He was then asked if Adams had said he would never take the field for Jerry Gray again. Again he said they preferred to handle it "in house." While as fans we always want to know what's going on I can see where the team would want to keep matters of discipline private. There is apparently no truth to a rumor floating around earlier today that the Bills cut Adams.

ScottLawrence
10-18-2004, 08:30 PM
I heard on WGR about comments made by Mularkey after the game regarding the incident. The gist of what dMularkey said was that they would handle it in house and did not want to comment on what the Bills would say to Adams, or what action they might take. He was then asked if Adams had said he would never take the field for Jerry Gray again. Again he said they preferred to handle it "in house." While as fans we always want to know what's going on I can see where the team would want to keep matters of discipline private. There is apparently no truth to a rumor floating around earlier today that the Bills cut Adams.

Someone on BB.com message boards is saying he was just traded for a 3rd round pick to Seattle.

shelby
10-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Someone on BB.com message boards is saying he was just traded for a 3rd round pick to Seattle.
Not true...but Seattle did pick up Jerry Rice for a 7th round pick.

mybills
10-19-2004, 08:05 AM
What about the first half of the game? Doesn't he get any credit for that? :cynic:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
10-19-2004, 08:23 AM
ANYONE who thinks it is the right move to cut Sam Adams now is out of their mind.

Sam is a tough, hardnosed player. He is an emotional guy and knows that he has the skills to neutralize any o-line. Sam was pissed that Sammy Morris got by him a few times and took the attempted substitution of Bannan (who is a talentless slob) as a slap in the face. Sam knew that he was able to continue and that he wanted to help his team. Sam knows he can (and has) outplay Bannan.

Are we gonna crucify every player who shows some sack? It's ok for the public to say that the D-coordinator is making some stupid play calls but not for a player who is explaining an incident to tell the truth about the playcalling? So he is upset because our defense is playing like crap. Good. He should be upset. More players should be upset and motivated to do more to make the Defense at least average.

The players play the game. Sam is a player. He knows what is going on in the trenches better than Jerry Gray or Tim Krumrie. You can't plug some other average (or below average in the cases of Bannan or Anderson) tackle in for the remainder of the season and expect them to plug up the middle like Sam can.

So fine Sam or whatever.....fine.....I agree that he should not have had any kind of exchange with the coaching staff. Should have took his medicine and let the anger fuel his performance. He would have been back on the field later in the game if he had shut his pie hole. So he has already been punished.

Now, if he slacks off or refuses to play or has further incidents in this area,
then maybe we can discuss cutting or trading him.

But don't give up on a guy cause he has one emotional incident in the heat of battle. He is human and he is driven. If you have never played the game you probably don't understand. I say give ol Sam a mulligan and keep your eye on him. He is a crucial piece to this puzzle. Next year even more than this year.

BuffaloRanger
10-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Sam Adams brings up a great point. Adams claims the D line isn't allowed to rush. We don't get close to sacking QBs this season. (I know Edwards did - but it's Miami) Jerry Grey is an idiot. What is Kumrie thinking? If the coaches are right, why can't they explain it so Adams understands and buys in to it?

This defensive scheme is ridiculous. Fletcher and Spikes are 30yds downfield covering #1 WRs. Our safeties suck so bad, they allow WRs to be wide open over the middle.

They put Haggen in and take out Spikes at the goal line. WTF?

Dickie Lebeau was the brains.

The_Philster
10-19-2004, 03:12 PM
What about the first half of the game? Doesn't he get any credit for that? :cynic:Why do you think they pulled him? It was because of the first half when he and Williams were getting run all over that they benched him.

The_Philster
10-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Dickie Lebeau was the brains.Yep...I knew all along we were gonna regret losing him. :ill: