X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buffalofan
    • Jul 2002

KEEP TRAVIS HENRY

Trading Travis Henry would be the biggest mistake the Bills could make right now. In my opinion Wills MaGahee has not proven a damn thing. He has one 100 yard game and everyone wants to dump Travis. Has everyone forgotten how Travis Henry rushed for over 1000 yards with a BROKEN LEG last year? Has everyone forgotten that ugly knee injury Willis had in college? I saw the game on Sunday .. I also say way to much dancing and side stepping by Willis. He needs way more north and south ability and less of the east and west. And lets face it, Miami is not really a worthy opponent to judge against. It was one game people, let him put a string of performances together the way Travis has done over the years. Travis has been nothing but a stand out (and durbale) player for this team and the way he is being treated by the fans and media is a joke. If you want to play Willis more and use the two back set, thats fine, however, you just dont trade someone of Travis' caliber. If you want to trade anyone it should be Josh Reed. Talk about a bust !! Anyway, I just wanted to add my two cents to the mix. Trade deadline is today and if Travis is in another uniform it will be a sad day for Bills fans, especially if Willis gets hurt or simply cant carry the load. KEEP TRAVIS HENRY ! Go ahead and trade Josh Reed and Sam Adams if you are just dead set on making a trade. GO BILLS !!!
  • ShadowHawk7
    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
    • Mar 2003

You make some decent points there, I’m not ready to hand McGahee the starting job yet, but he did play well.
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• lunatic_bills_fan
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Buffalofan
      Trading Travis Henry would be the biggest mistake the Bills could make right now. In my opinion Wills MaGahee has not proven a damn thing. He has one 100 yard game and everyone wants to dump Travis. Has everyone forgotten how Travis Henry rushed for over 1000 yards with a BROKEN LEG last year? Has everyone forgotten that ugly knee injury Willis had in college? I saw the game on Sunday .. I also say way to much dancing and side stepping by Willis. He needs way more north and south ability and less of the east and west. And lets face it, Miami is not really a worthy opponent to judge against. It was one game people, let him put a string of performances together the way Travis has done over the years. Travis has been nothing but a stand out (and durbale) player for this team and the way he is being treated by the fans and media is a joke. If you want to play Willis more and use the two back set, thats fine, however, you just dont trade someone of Travis' caliber. If you want to trade anyone it should be Josh Reed. Talk about a bust !! Anyway, I just wanted to add my two cents to the mix. Trade deadline is today and if Travis is in another uniform it will be a sad day for Bills fans, especially if Willis gets hurt or simply cant carry the load. KEEP TRAVIS HENRY ! Go ahead and trade Josh Reed and Sam Adams if you are just dead set on making a trade. GO BILLS !!!
      Good points, only one mistake, Miami defensively is a very worthy opponent. They have an excellent defence.

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
        • May 2004

It's the old NFL rule that you don't lose your job to injury....unless of course you were stinking it up in the first place (i.e. Drew Bledsoe in NE) and looked to be ready to be replaced before you were injured.

There could be a case made for Travis looking very average this year. But there are so many variables, I cannot yet say that McGahee should be the starter. I was impressed with his running Sunday, yes. But Travis has impressed me so many more times than Willis that I am not yet ready to hand over the job to McGahee yet.

I say if Travis is 90% healthy or better, give him the start. Give him a chance to get into the flow of the game and move on from there.

If he is ineffective and we are trailing, ya gotta put Willis in the game.

You have to play the better player. Period. You have to use whatever tools you have to win games.
        Willis is a more talented overall back than Travis. He deserves a good chunk of playing time. Has not yet earned the starting job but given time he may.

I don't have any durability concerns with Willis. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. I don't see it as any more likely he will suffer a catastrophic injury than any of our other players. So use him. We only have a couple more years before he is a FA.
        "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
        --Leo Durocher

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

I agree with you that the payoff for trading Henry is not worth the risk right now, though that may well change during the offseason, when Henry and his agent are going to start actively grumbling and advocating for a trade.

Some of the stuff you said in support of your position has little merit however. Teams have made bets on young players and cut older veterans on far less evidence than McGahee has given thus far. If he's healthy, and every possible indication has been given that he is, and he is able to gain good yardage in a couple games, there is really very little risk appart from the risk any running back runs of getting injured. As far as injury risk is concerned, Travis Henry is probably at greater risk than Willis because A. He's older and has begun to get nicked up up a lot and B. His running style is high risk. He runs into people. He struggles mightily to get the extra yard. He doesn't use his blockers particularly well and so takes more punishment than he really needs.

I really bristle when people keep bringing up how ugly Willis' injury looked when he blew out his knee. That has absolutely nothing to do with any rational discussion about whenther Willis can be a productive back in the NFL. The only thing that has relavance is whether or not the surgery was successful, the post operative condition of the knee, and the psychological state of the guy who was injured. By every account we have ever heard, the surgery was very successful and Willis' knee as sound or MORE sound than a knee that had never been injured. By all accounts, Willis has a healthy attitude and zero linger psychological baggage from the injury.

Travis Henry runs more north/south which is great if there are holes where they are designed to be. They haven't been there for him so far this season. Willis has danced around some, but the fact that he's been gaining positive yardage indicates it is not a problem. He is showing the patience to find the hole. He's waiting for blocking to take shape. I suspect that when the hole is there, he has no problem hitting it quickly. In fact we saw that a number of times Sunday. When there was no hole, and nothing developed, he ran into the pile like Travis so often does. However, on more than one occasion on Sunday, the announcers noted that he was able to push through the pile and fall forward for a positive gain of 2-3 yards, something we haven't seen TH do much of this season.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• PIZ
            • Apr 2003

Just curious, but all this trade talk seems premature. I haven't heard anyone in the NFL media talking about potential trades or any team actually calling Buffalo.

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
              • Aug 2004

yeah even the amazing JOhn Clayton hasn't said anything about trading Henry. Thou I haven't heard Mort.
              http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• venis2k1
                Youboty can hope
                • Jul 2002

First off, Travis isnt getting traded today, he will be a bill till the end of the season. TD knows a misstep here could mean his job.

secondly, saying "Miami is not really a worthy opponent to judge against." isnt as crazy as it sounds, they are the 3rd best D in the NFL right now, however rank 30th out of 32 teams against the run.**note: this is not from lack of talent, but from teams jumping ahead early and trying to run out the clock.**

Lets just say we trade Henry(or Willis) this offseason(i think we can agree that this town isnt big enough for the both of them) You look at the teams that would prolly be interested in getting a star RB:

Oakland- Ricky Williams will be wearing the black and gray next year, i promise.
                Dallas- what do you think it will take to get our first rounder back?
                Detroit- they could trade for henry, but are already spending big bucks on Offense.
                arizona- i would bet money they go after a franchise back in the draft, there is no rush to "win now" there.
                Miami- no way we trade travis in the AFCE, EVER.

this is not to mention that there are several backs in the draft who will close doors for travis. Cedric Benson, cadillac williams, and Ronnie Brown.

my point is Travis's trade value is prolly higher now than it will be in a few months.

Comment

• PIZ
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by venis2k1
                  my point is Travis's trade value is prolly higher now than it will be in a few months.
                  The problem with that is that other teams know this too, and they know if they wait they can get him cheaper. If there was a legitimate contender that needed a running back, then yeah, his value would be higher, but I don't think he'd get much right now. Maybe we could trade for a disgruntled player, like Joey Porter, but he is in a contract year.

Comment

Working...
                  X