PDA

View Full Version : Ref's at practice; Did it work?

LABillsFan
10-19-2004, 02:32 PM
7-60 was the stat for the Bills on Sunday. Take away the boneheaded 15 yarder for group celebration that leaves 6-45.

justasportsfan
10-19-2004, 02:34 PM
7-60 was the stat for the Bills on Sunday. Take away the boneheaded 15 yarder for group celebration that leaves 6-45.the Campbell holding call that negated Drews scramble for a 1st down was questionable. Even the TV commentators said so.

Pride
10-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Well, whatever it did... they didnt have as many...nor were they at critical moments!

ArcticWildMan
10-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Not having Jennings in made a difference as well.

venis2k1
10-19-2004, 02:41 PM
the Campbell holding call that negated Drews scramble for a 1st down was questionable. Even the TV commentators said so.

questionable? It was a phantom call. Campbell got knocked flat on his back then the defender ran right past him.

Ebenezer
10-19-2004, 02:44 PM
questionable? It was a phantom call. Campbell got knocked flat on his back then the defender ran right past him.
Phantom call??? The official threw the flag into an area of the field where there were no players AFTER DB landed the dive on his scramble...it was complete BS.

LABillsFan
10-19-2004, 02:47 PM
This line seems to work together. I know it's the first win but from watching the highlights it seemed they knew what Miami was going to do and were well prepared. You can see them moving in sync which hasn't been the case. I really think having the TE's WR and RB help with chip blocking took some pressure off the line negating the need to hold when getting burned.

LABillsFan
10-19-2004, 02:50 PM
...nor were they at critical moments!

That's the key!

1st and 10 at BUF 6 Willis McGahee (BUF) rushed right side for 1 yard.
2nd and 9 at BUF 7 Drew Bledsoe (BUF) pass left side complete to Mark Campbell (BUF) for 6 yards.
3rd and 3 at BUF 13 Willis McGahee (BUF) rushed left side for 4 yards.
1st and 10 at BUF 17 Willis McGahee (BUF) rushed left side for 5 yards.
2nd and 5 at BUF 22 Drew Bledsoe (BUF) pass right side complete to Eric Moulds (BUF) for 23 yards.
1st and 10 at BUF 45 Joe Burns (BUF) rushed right side for 2 yards.
2nd and 8 at BUF 47 Joe Burns (BUF) rushed left side for 16 yards.
1st and 10 at MIA 37
2 minute warning.
1st and 10 at MIA 37 Willis McGahee (BUF) rushed right side for 31 yards.
1st and 6 at MIA 6 Miami timeout; 01:48 remaining 4th quarter
1st and 6 at MIA 6 Willis McGahee (BUF) rushed right side for 2 yards.
2nd and 4 at MIA 4 Miami timeout; 01:44 remaining 4th quarter
2nd and 4 at MIA 4 Joe Burns (BUF) rushed right side for no gain.
3rd and 4 at MIA 4 Willis McGahee (BUF) rushed up the middle for 3 yards.
End of the game.

No holding calls adn no false starts. What a concept.

Ebenezer
10-19-2004, 02:52 PM
No holding calls adn no false starts. What a concept.

They were arena league refs...we got money under the cap...how much could it cost to have them there every week/day?

NC-BILLS44
10-19-2004, 02:53 PM
This line seems to work together. I know it's the first win but from watching the highlights it seemed they knew what Miami was going to do and were well prepared. You can see them moving in sync which hasn't been the case. I really think having the TE's WR and RB help with chip blocking took some pressure off the line negating the need to hold when getting burned.

I'm not as convinced. We will see against Baltimore. I'm hopeful that they will jell eventually.

don137
10-19-2004, 02:57 PM
If Jennings and Adams were in their for a full game we may have had few more penalties...Their is also a much greater chance on the road for false starts...While I think it will help I also think it may take a few weeks...

LABillsFan
10-19-2004, 02:57 PM
They were arena league refs...we got money under the cap...how much could it cost to have them there every week/day?

I agree it seemed to help, but a few more weeks would only instill the importance of not beating yourself with penalties. Their pay comes out of the Cap?

NC-BILLS44
10-19-2004, 03:05 PM
I hope it helps. It's one thing to beat by a better team and another to defeat yourselves with stupid penalties.

LABillsFan
10-19-2004, 03:11 PM
If Jennings and Adams were in their for a full game we may have had few more penalties...Their is also a much greater chance on the road for false starts...While I think it will help I also think it may take a few weeks...

Let's not forget Teague and his propensity to hold. I can tolorate 1-2 false starts it's those holding calls that get to me.

LABillsFan
10-19-2004, 03:17 PM
I hope it helps. It's one thing to beat by a better team and another to defeat yourselves with stupid penalties.

Even with the offense struggling to put up points, take away those back breaking holding calls (sometimes even back to back holding calls) the false starts when your moving the chains, how many more points wold they have?

Ebenezer
10-19-2004, 03:30 PM
I agree it seemed to help, but a few more weeks would only instill the importance of not beating yourself with penalties. Their pay comes out of the Cap?
of course not...I was just saying that we are about $2.5mil under the cap I think we can afford a few thousand out of the general coffers for practice refs...hell, I'll do it for $50/hr.

LABillsFan
10-19-2004, 03:33 PM
of course not...I was just saying that we are about $2.5mil under the cap I think we can afford a few thousand out of the general coffers for practice refs...hell, I'll do it for $50/hr.

Sometimes I take things too literal. :scratch:

RedEyE
10-19-2004, 04:51 PM
I think the Dolphins are just THAT BAD. Their defense is now ranked 27th in the league. The Bills just had an easier day.

LABillsFan
10-19-2004, 07:30 PM
I think the Dolphins are just THAT BAD. Their defense is now ranked 27th in the league. The Bills just had an easier day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=team&sort=ypg&pos=def&league=nfl&order=true&season=2&year=2004

Where did you get 27th?

TigerJ
10-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Would money paid to Arena League refs for practice even come under cap rules? I thought the cap only applied to the players on the roster, plus IR etc.

RedEyE
10-19-2004, 10:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=team&sort=ypg&pos=def&league=nfl&order=true&season=2&year=2004

Where did you get 27th?

Sorry, I meant to say 27th against the rush.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-RUSHING/2004/regular?sort_col_1=7

Dozerdog
10-19-2004, 11:32 PM

They were #2 going into the game

LABillsFan
10-20-2004, 02:07 AM
The #1 pass defense as well.

don137
10-20-2004, 08:02 AM
The #1 pass defense as well.

Two big factors that they have the #1 pass defense is their run defense is so putrid so teams run against them and they are always behind so teams run more when they have the lead.

RedEyE
10-20-2004, 09:37 AM
They were #2 going into the game

For those that missed it, see post #21

RedEyE
10-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Faceit guys, Miami is just that bad this season. No matter how you look at, we should have beaten them. The Bills are a far better team, but outside the nice addition to the win column, I really don't think there is anything to get excited about. If we beat this Baltimore D this week then I think that is a call for celebration. Against this Miami team? No. Sorry. :shakeno:

LABillsFan
10-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Faceit guys, Miami is just that bad this season. No matter how you look at, we should have beaten them. The Bills are a far better team, but outside the nice addition to the win column, I really don't think there is anything to get excited about. If we beat this Baltimore D this week then I think that is a call for celebration. Against this Miami team? No. Sorry. :shakeno:

What does Miami have to do with The Bills using Ref's at practice?

RedEyE
10-20-2004, 08:43 PM
What does Miami have to do with The Bills using Ref's at practice?

Like all threads this one grew legs and walked away from the original topic. What does LA have to do with Buffalo?

LABillsFan
10-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Like all threads this one grew legs and walked away from the original topic. What does LA have to do with Buffalo?

:headscrat
What does the connection between LA and Buffalo have to do with the questioning of what Miami has to do with the BIlls hiring ref's for practice?