• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Throne Logic
    Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
    • Aug 2002

Should Vincent be moved to Free Safety?

I think the time has arrived. The defense hasn't been steller in part because they NEED to improve the play of both safety positions. Granted they've been missing both Vincent and Milloy in the secondary. Milloy returning at SS will fix only half the problem.

I'd like to see Vincent be moved to FS when he's ready to come back.
    McGee has done OK at CB. More importantly, he has shown steady improvement with experience. This gives Buffalo the luxury to make this move. It could solidify what has been a shaky secondary. Clements, Milloy, Vincent, and McGee all out there in the base D packages.

Thoughts?
    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

This may sound like an ignorant question, but has Vincint played at FS before? Has he proven himself at that position in the past? If the answer is yes, then I agree the move would be a good one. McGee looks better every game. And with Milloy back in the line up, it's win win.

I know a quick Google search will do the trick, but I rely on your knowledge.
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by northernbillfan
      This may sound like an ignorant question, but has Vincint played at FS before? Has he proven himself at that position in the past? If the answer is yes, then I agree the move would be a good one. McGee looks better every game. And with Milloy back in the line up, it's win win.

I know a quick Google search will do the trick, but I rely on your knowledge.
      Why does everybody think the 4 DB positions are interchangable??

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
        • May 2004

I don't think has ever played FS before, and I don't think he could just step right in there, but FS is a position Vincent should be able to handle. He is a smart player and has seen almost everything....I would not be surprised to see Vincent at FS next offseason etc. It will extend his career and make this team better.
        "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
        --Leo Durocher

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
          • May 2004

i forgot to mention that it is much easier to move from CB to FS than vice versa. Speed is the main factor there.
          "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
          --Leo Durocher

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

I don't think he has played that position before, and I know they aren't interchangable but Vincent seems like a guy who could make that switch with not much problem. Much like Rod woodson.

Comment

• Ed
              Dude
              • Sep 2002

I wouldn't make the move this year, but maybe next. I always thought that was the plan or the idea when signing Vincent, that eventually he would make the move to FS like some older CB's do.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

When Vincent was signed, he specifically said he'd play CB until his speed wasn't there anymore then he'd move to play Safety.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                  • Sep 2003

I cannot believe we are even debating this, come on people, you are suppose to be knowledgeble Buffalo bills fans!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could he be worse than what we have already? I think not!!! Next case.

Comment

• juice
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                    Why does everybody think the 4 DB positions are interchangable??
                    Exactly, You wouldn't move a LBer to DE in mid-season if he had never played the position.. CB and FS are two totally different positions that require different skills.

I thought the Wire Experiment clearly illustrated that positions in the Defensive backfield are not interchangable without knowledge of the position.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

Wire was converting from college Linebacker to pro safety - much bigger adjustment then Vincent moving to safety from corner. It really depends on the player though, Seattle has been very successful converting college linebacker Michael Boulware to safety. Similarly, the Bears were very successful converting college safety Brian Urlacher to linebacker. In recent years, Pittsburgh was very successful converting college linebacker Carnell Lake into first a pro safety and then a pro corner.

As for smart veteran corners making the transition to safety, Rod Woodson is a great example. Another example is NE converting college corner Eugene Wilson into a pro safety. Also, I think the Bills own McGee played safety his last year in college. Plenty of precedent for such a move and Vincent is the type of smart veteran player who seems like he could make the switch.

I think it makes better sense to switch Vincent to free safety next year,.

Comment

• juice
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by EDS
                        Wire was converting from college Linebacker to pro safety - much bigger adjustment then Vincent moving to safety from corner. It really depends on the player though, Seattle has been very successful converting college linebacker Michael Boulware to safety. Similarly, the Bears were very successful converting college safety Brian Urlacher to linebacker. In recent years, Pittsburgh was very successful converting college linebacker Carnell Lake into first a pro safety and then a pro corner.

As for smart veteran corners making the transition to safety, Rod Woodson is a great example. Another example is NE converting college corner Eugene Wilson into a pro safety. Also, I think the Bills own McGee played safety his last year in college. Plenty of precedent for such a move and Vincent is the type of smart veteran player who seems like he could make the switch.

I think it makes better sense to switch Vincent to free safety next year,.
                        The key is that the switch should never be attempted mid-season like the Thread starter suggests.. especially when the current FS is the second leading tackler in the defensive backfield and hasn't been beat deep all year.

This "D" needs to concentrate on getting healthy and stringing a few wins together.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• NC-BILLS44
                          • Jul 2002

Aeneas Williams, from St. Louis also made the transition from CB to FS. I don't think we want to move Vincent just yet, but I think he can phsyically and mentally handle the move to FS.

Williams is 36 yrs old 5'11'' and 200 lbs. (55 Int)
                          Vincent is 33 yrs oldl 6'0" and 200 lbs. (42 Int)

The stats may not mean anything, but I just though I'd throw them out there.

Looks like they both have a nose for the ball, but may be loosing a step as they age.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

rod woodson made the move with ease and got into the pro bowl as a FS.. vincent could do it too.. mine as well do it now in a throw away season.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
                              • May 2003

I agree that Vincent is smart enough to make the transition but not this year. You know who I miss? Kurt Schultz! Man that guy used to knock the piss out of people. Which reminds me...can Vincent hit? I mean just drop the wood on people?

Comment

Working...
                              X