PDA

View Full Version : Should Vincent be moved to Free Safety?

Throne Logic
10-21-2004, 01:40 AM
I think the time has arrived. The defense hasn't been steller in part because they NEED to improve the play of both safety positions. Granted they've been missing both Vincent and Milloy in the secondary. Milloy returning at SS will fix only half the problem.

I'd like to see Vincent be moved to FS when he's ready to come back.
McGee has done OK at CB. More importantly, he has shown steady improvement with experience. This gives Buffalo the luxury to make this move. It could solidify what has been a shaky secondary. Clements, Milloy, Vincent, and McGee all out there in the base D packages.

Thoughts?

northernbillfan
10-21-2004, 01:45 AM
This may sound like an ignorant question, but has Vincint played at FS before? Has he proven himself at that position in the past? If the answer is yes, then I agree the move would be a good one. McGee looks better every game. And with Milloy back in the line up, it's win win.

I know a quick Google search will do the trick, but I rely on your knowledge.

Ebenezer
10-21-2004, 07:57 AM
This may sound like an ignorant question, but has Vincint played at FS before? Has he proven himself at that position in the past? If the answer is yes, then I agree the move would be a good one. McGee looks better every game. And with Milloy back in the line up, it's win win.

I know a quick Google search will do the trick, but I rely on your knowledge.
Why does everybody think the 4 DB positions are interchangable??

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
10-21-2004, 08:15 AM
I don't think has ever played FS before, and I don't think he could just step right in there, but FS is a position Vincent should be able to handle. He is a smart player and has seen almost everything....I would not be surprised to see Vincent at FS next offseason etc. It will extend his career and make this team better.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
10-21-2004, 08:16 AM
i forgot to mention that it is much easier to move from CB to FS than vice versa. Speed is the main factor there.

THATHURMANATOR
10-21-2004, 08:30 AM
I don't think he has played that position before, and I know they aren't interchangable but Vincent seems like a guy who could make that switch with not much problem. Much like Rod woodson.

Ed
10-21-2004, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't make the move this year, but maybe next. I always thought that was the plan or the idea when signing Vincent, that eventually he would make the move to FS like some older CB's do.

Mr. Miyagi
10-21-2004, 09:04 AM
When Vincent was signed, he specifically said he'd play CB until his speed wasn't there anymore then he'd move to play Safety.

alohabillsfan
10-21-2004, 09:24 AM
I cannot believe we are even debating this, come on people, you are suppose to be knowledgeble Buffalo bills fans!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could he be worse than what we have already? I think not!!! Next case.

juice
10-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Why does everybody think the 4 DB positions are interchangable??
Exactly, You wouldn't move a LBer to DE in mid-season if he had never played the position.. CB and FS are two totally different positions that require different skills.

I thought the Wire Experiment clearly illustrated that positions in the Defensive backfield are not interchangable without knowledge of the position.

EDS
10-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Wire was converting from college Linebacker to pro safety - much bigger adjustment then Vincent moving to safety from corner. It really depends on the player though, Seattle has been very successful converting college linebacker Michael Boulware to safety. Similarly, the Bears were very successful converting college safety Brian Urlacher to linebacker. In recent years, Pittsburgh was very successful converting college linebacker Carnell Lake into first a pro safety and then a pro corner.

As for smart veteran corners making the transition to safety, Rod Woodson is a great example. Another example is NE converting college corner Eugene Wilson into a pro safety. Also, I think the Bills own McGee played safety his last year in college. Plenty of precedent for such a move and Vincent is the type of smart veteran player who seems like he could make the switch.

I think it makes better sense to switch Vincent to free safety next year,.

juice
10-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Wire was converting from college Linebacker to pro safety - much bigger adjustment then Vincent moving to safety from corner. It really depends on the player though, Seattle has been very successful converting college linebacker Michael Boulware to safety. Similarly, the Bears were very successful converting college safety Brian Urlacher to linebacker. In recent years, Pittsburgh was very successful converting college linebacker Carnell Lake into first a pro safety and then a pro corner.

As for smart veteran corners making the transition to safety, Rod Woodson is a great example. Another example is NE converting college corner Eugene Wilson into a pro safety. Also, I think the Bills own McGee played safety his last year in college. Plenty of precedent for such a move and Vincent is the type of smart veteran player who seems like he could make the switch.

I think it makes better sense to switch Vincent to free safety next year,.
The key is that the switch should never be attempted mid-season like the Thread starter suggests.. especially when the current FS is the second leading tackler in the defensive backfield and hasn't been beat deep all year.

This "D" needs to concentrate on getting healthy and stringing a few wins together.

NC-BILLS44
10-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Aeneas Williams, from St. Louis also made the transition from CB to FS. I don't think we want to move Vincent just yet, but I think he can phsyically and mentally handle the move to FS.

Williams is 36 yrs old 5'11'' and 200 lbs. (55 Int)
Vincent is 33 yrs oldl 6'0" and 200 lbs. (42 Int)

The stats may not mean anything, but I just though I'd throw them out there.

Looks like they both have a nose for the ball, but may be loosing a step as they age.

Tatonka
10-21-2004, 10:54 AM
rod woodson made the move with ease and got into the pro bowl as a FS.. vincent could do it too.. mine as well do it now in a throw away season.

Drive 4 Five
10-21-2004, 04:37 PM
I agree that Vincent is smart enough to make the transition but not this year. You know who I miss? Kurt Schultz! Man that guy used to knock the piss out of people. Which reminds me...can Vincent hit? I mean just drop the wood on people?

Mr. Cynical
10-21-2004, 04:40 PM
rod woodson made the move with ease and got into the pro bowl as a FS.. vincent could do it too.. mine as well do it now in a throw away season.
Agreed. The only way this season will be productive is if our rookies and young guys get playing time for next year.

Drive 4 Five
10-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Agreed. The only way this season will be productive is if our rookies and young guys get playing time for next year.

Wow Mr. Cyn, you have really fallen off the deep end bro. Is there no hope left?

ScottLawrence
10-21-2004, 04:54 PM
I may be wrong, but im pretty sure Vincent played a lot of FS last year.

Drive 4 Five
10-21-2004, 05:00 PM
I may be wrong, but im pretty sure Vincent played a lot of FS last year.

You are definately wrong bro!

Drive 4 Five
10-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Vincent was the starting corner opposite Bobby Taylor.

Jan Reimers
10-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Vincent has far more talent than Reese, Wire or Prioleau, and has been around the league a dozen years or so. I think he would be better than anyone else there, even if it's a "new" position.

Drive 4 Five
10-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Vincent has far more talent than Reese, Wire or Prioleau, and has been around the league a dozen years or so. I think he would be better than anyone else there, even if it's a "new" position.

Yes but we are assuming that McGee is better than Vincent at corner?

Drive 4 Five
10-21-2004, 05:09 PM
I predict that Laywer will help solidify our secondary which has been suspect as of late and this will not come up again this year.

Throne Logic
10-21-2004, 11:51 PM
My though was to put the best 4 DBs on the field at the same time.

As far as the interchanging of positions: I agree, you can't interchange DB's as their roles are different. However, there is a strong precedent for CB's moving to FS as they get older and loose a bit off their speed. Rod Woodson and A. Williams have been mentioned. Jason Sehorn made the transition, too, albeit with less success. I'm sure there have been others. Besides, as it has been mentioned, this was the ultimate plan anyway for Vincent.

Just tossed it up as food for thought.

John Doe
10-22-2004, 06:32 AM

You make the switch if you feel it will help you win games now, not to help you win next year. What exactly is a "throwaway" season anyway? A season where you don't try to win? A season where you just screw the fans and just experiment? How can anyone think that McGee is as good as Vincent at cornerback at this point in his career after watching the New England game?

Creating a culture of winning is far more important than throwing away games.

G. Host
10-22-2004, 12:48 PM
I agree that Vincent is smart enough to make the transition but not this year. You know who I miss? Kurt Schultz! Man that guy used to knock the piss out of people. Which reminds me...can Vincent hit? I mean just drop the wood on people?

Yes WR's used to look for Shultz before attempting to catch the ball often resulting in balls dropped. And Shultz could catch - I remember him jumping up behind WR while WR was jumping and grabbing the ball before he could. The WR could not believe he was not touched and started arguing with Zebra. Kurt could catch better with a cast on than current safeties can without a cast.