PDA

View Full Version : If the Cubs and the Sox have a curse...

Mr. Miyagi
10-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Why isn't the media talking about the Buffalo Curse? We were robbed year after year too. :mad:

Forward_Lateral
10-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Because we didn't sell the Bambino to the Yankees, or refuse the entry of a goat into Wrigley Field. We are instead stuck with the bridesmaid curse. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

Ebenezer
10-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Why isn't the media talking about the Buffalo Curse? We were robbed year after year too. :mad:
Buffalo = curse...it's implied.

Mr. Miyagi
10-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Because we didn't sell the Bambino to the Yankees, or refuse the entry of a goat into Wrigley Field. We are instead stuck with the bridesmaid curse. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.
What, 4 consecutive SB losses isn't considered a curse? The forward lateral? The skate on crease? What are we just very unlucky?

If you ask me, it's a gosh darn curse. :mad:

Michael82
10-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Who did someone in Buffalo piss off to deserve this "curse"? What did Buffalo do wrong? Who or what put this curse or terrible luck on the city of Buffalo?

Ebenezer
10-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Who did someone in Buffalo piss off to deserve this "curse"? What did Buffalo do wrong? Who or what put this curse or terrible luck on the city of Buffalo?
McKinley was killed here...all downhill from there.

Michael82
10-21-2004, 12:02 PM
McKinley was killed here...all downhill from there.
:doh:

Ebenezer
10-21-2004, 12:04 PM
:doh:
Hey, no worries, at least Buffalo had it at one time...Rochester?? Never a blip on the screen.

don137
10-21-2004, 12:21 PM

No but we traded Bob McAdoo, OJ Simpson and Hasek...Does that count?

Michael82
10-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Hey, no worries, at least Buffalo had it at one time...Rochester?? Never a blip on the screen.
*cough* Bull****

Rochester Royals... :tongue:

Ebenezer
10-21-2004, 12:24 PM
*cough* Bull****

Rochester Royals... :tongue:
:roflmao:

pre modern NBA?? that's the best you can do for Ra Cha Cha...Buffalo used to be the 5th largest city in the country, the center of much of the grain industry, the origin of the Erie Canal, a major player in heavy industry...then McKinley got shot and the railroads came...

STAMPY
10-21-2004, 12:29 PM
the Curse of Jim Kelly retiring... look at qb's after he left

Michael82
10-21-2004, 12:36 PM

pre modern NBA?? that's the best you can do for Ra Cha Cha...Buffalo used to be the 5th largest city in the country, the center of much of the grain industry, the origin of the Erie Canal, a major player in heavy industry...then McKinley got shot and the railroads came...
I thought you were talking about major sports teams. Rochester Royals won the 2nd NBA Championship.

Now as for business...Rochester used to be a booming city...Kodak, Xerox, Bausch and Lomb, Jello, and a bunch of others that left the city.

LtBillsFan66
10-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Please. That's all we need. To adopt a loser mentality.

Mr. Miyagi
10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
At 1-4, I'd say we're already losers.

Ebenezer
10-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Please. That's all we need. To adopt a loser mentality.
ever live in Buffalo?

pcnorth22
10-21-2004, 01:32 PM
what would it take to reverse the curse of a President being shot in your city? I'm not sure the theory flies...

11/22/1978...I think we've been that city's ***** for three out of 5 championship losses....

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Chicago doesn't have a curse. That billy goat thing didn't happen until 1945, long after the Cubs have sucked.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-21-2004, 01:52 PM
What, 4 consecutive SB losses isn't considered a curse? The forward lateral? The skate on crease? What are we just very unlucky?

If you ask me, it's a gosh darn curse. :mad:

Also the shot that went through the outside of the net.

BillsFanCupp38
10-21-2004, 01:58 PM
I also believe the Bills are cursed. I dont know why, probably never will. I have always thought that the NFL and every team in the NFL has a grudge or something agaisnt us. Thats just how it seems to me. I dont know why, but thats just the way it is. I think someone pays the refs to f*** us over.

Mr. Cynical
10-21-2004, 06:24 PM
If you look at it, for a city Buffalo's size, we have lost more major championships than anyone else.

4 SBs + 2 Stanley Cups = 6

And if we had MLB or NBA, I'm sure that number would be higher.

And if you look at the calls we gotten, e.g., In the crease, In thru the side of the net goal, Forward Lateral, it makes the case even stronger.

Without a doubt someone in Buffalo many years ago did a very bad thing and we're all suffering because of it. :mad:

d1220
10-21-2004, 08:37 PM

:D I would normally never correct someone, but I must give props to my home town... Rome, NY is where the Erie Canal, also known as "Clinton's Ditch" began construction.

http://www.rl.af.mil/div/IFO/IFOI/IFOIPA/FactSheet/ROME-CTY.html

"Forty years after the fort garrison withstood the British siege, another small army of people descended on the growing village of Rome. It was July 4, 1817, and they came to participate in ceremonies marking the turning of the first shovel of dirt for the Erie Canal, just west of the present downtown."

Ebenezer
10-21-2004, 08:51 PM
:D I would normally never correct someone, but I must give props to my home town... Rome, NY is where the Erie Canal, also known as "Clinton's Ditch" began construction.

http://www.rl.af.mil/div/IFO/IFOI/IFOIPA/FactSheet/ROME-CTY.html

"Forty years after the fort garrison withstood the British siege, another small army of people descended on the growing village of Rome. It was July 4, 1817, and they came to participate in ceremonies marking the turning of the first shovel of dirt for the Erie Canal, just west of the present downtown."
the origin as the port at which it started...not where the first shovel was dug...:shakeno: if you want to get technical they took a bucket of water from the river and carried by horse acrossed the state...

d1220
10-22-2004, 12:30 PM
the origin as the port at which it started...not where the first shovel was dug...:shakeno: if you want to get technical they took a bucket of water from the river and carried by horse acrossed the state...

It appears that it was not just the first shovel. The construction began there then moved eastward. Come on Eb, it's Rome! We don't have much else..... :P

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa102000a.htm

On July 4, 1817, construction of the Erie Canal began in Rome, New York. The first segment of the canal would proceed east from Rome to the Hudson River. Many canal contractors were simply wealthy farmers along the canal route, contracted to construct their own tiny portion of the canal. Thousands of British, German, and Irish immigrants provided the muscle for the canal, which had to be dug with shovels and horse power - without the use of today's heavy earth moving equipment. The 80 cents to one dollar a day that laborers were paid was often three times the amount laborers could earn in their home countries.

Ebenezer
10-22-2004, 12:32 PM
It appears that it was not just the first shovel. The construction began there then moved eastward. Come on Eb, it's Rome! We don't have much else..... :P

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa102000a.htm

On July 4, 1817, construction of the Erie Canal began in Rome, New York. The first segment of the canal would proceed east from Rome to the Hudson River. Many canal contractors were simply wealthy farmers along the canal route, contracted to construct their own tiny portion of the canal. Thousands of British, German, and Irish immigrants provided the muscle for the canal, which had to be dug with shovels and horse power - without the use of today's heavy earth moving equipment. The 80 cents to one dollar a day that laborers were paid was often three times the amount laborers could earn in their home countries.
i know what you mean...you know what I meant...:lol:

d1220
10-22-2004, 12:36 PM
:D :up:

TedMock
10-22-2004, 12:49 PM
If you look at it, for a city Buffalo's size, we have lost more major championships than anyone else.

4 SBs + 2 Stanley Cups = 6

And if we had MLB or NBA, I'm sure that number would be higher. :mad:

We actually had a pretty talented NBA team (MacAdoo, Malone, Dantley, etc.), but they upped and moved to San Diego. Now they're the LA Clippers....perennial losers. See what happens when you leave a beautiful place like Buffalo for those weirdo's in San Diego?

Ebenezer
10-22-2004, 12:58 PM
We actually had a pretty talented NBA team (MacAdoo, Malone, Dantley, etc.), but they upped and moved to San Diego. Now they're the LA Clippers....perennial losers. See what happens when you leave a beautiful place like Buffalo for those weirdo's in San Diego?
actually, the team was bought by JY Brown in Kentucky...he then traded teams with the Celtics owners...they then moved the team to SD...Brown then almost destroyed the Celtics...

Jayhawk
10-22-2004, 01:02 PM
just blame Rob Johnson and everything will be better

TedMock
10-22-2004, 01:08 PM
actually, the team was bought by JY Brown in Kentucky...he then traded teams with the Celtics owners...they then moved the team to SD...Brown then almost destroyed the Celtics...

I'm not a big Celtics fan, but can you imagine missing out on those great teams of the 80's? Even more so, the rivalry with LA?

Mr. Miyagi
10-22-2004, 01:10 PM
See what happens when you leave a beautiful place like Buffalo for those weirdo's in San Diego?
Someone should've told Flutie.

TedMock
10-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Someone should've told Flutie.

:roflmao: awesome.

Bill Brasky
10-22-2004, 02:48 PM

Easy answer: nobody cares about Buffalo, NY. I don't even think the NFL knows anything about them -- case in point, on Madden 2005, under team info, it says the Giants and Jets are the only 2 football teams in NY. When you look at the Bills info it says "In State Teams: 1". Pathetic.

EDS
10-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Easy answer: nobody cares about Buffalo, NY. I don't even think the NFL knows anything about them -- case in point, on Madden 2005, under team info, it says the Giants and Jets are the only 2 football teams in NY. When you look at the Bills info it says "In State Teams: 1". Pathetic.

The game was probably programmed by someone from New York City. Down here, everything above Westchester is upstate, Albany, Buffalo and everywhere in between is wasteland. Sad, but true.

Of course, as I say this, I am setting off on a nice 6 or so hour drive from NYC to Rochester.

BFBills
10-22-2004, 08:25 PM
it is that they are in new jersey .... easy to figure sir.

imbondz
10-23-2004, 08:49 AM
I always thought it was an upstate NY curse, until the Syracuse Orangemen won the national title. Now I think it's just a Buffalo Bills curse.

Bill Brasky
10-23-2004, 01:26 PM
it is that they are in new jersey .... easy to figure sir.

Because their stadium is across the river they are suddenly an out of state team? They are not the New Jersey Jets sir.

BFBills
10-23-2004, 02:02 PM
but that is why they are counted as a new jersey teams...and why they have 2 in state teams in the info and we only have one...giants and jets are counted as nj teams and the bills as ny teams.

Mad Bomber
10-23-2004, 09:02 PM
No but we traded Bob McAdoo, OJ Simpson and Hasek...Does that count?

We also traded Daryle Lamonica to the Raiders, where he proceeded to lead them to a SB.

BFBills
10-24-2004, 09:25 AM
u guys read in the paper about this very subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the "off main street" in the "city/region"...that was cool