• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shotgun
    stop smokeing for your own health
    • May 2004

fox sports 10 worst sports chokes of all time oilers # 3

3. Houston Oilers, 1992 AFC wild card game
    Just think. The Buffalo Bills might not have become the poster child for postseason failure — a distinction earned by their four consecutive Super Bowl defeats — if the Oilers had been able to hold onto a 35-3 third quarter lead.

Led by Warren Moon, Houston appeared to have the two-time defending AFC champs on the ropes. Moon completed 19-of-22 passes for 218 yards and four touchdowns before halftime to give the Oilers a 28-3 advantage. A 58-yard interception return for a touchdown with 13:15 left in the third quarter put Houston up by 32 points.

Steve Christie and Frank Reich celebrate the Bills' comeback win over the Oilers in the AFC wild card game. (Rick Stewart / GettyImages)

That's when the fun (or the agony, depending on your point of view) really began.

The complete breakdown of the Oilers' breakdown:

Kenneth Davis caps a 10-play, 50-yard drive with a one-yard touchdown run. Oilers 35, Bills 10

After kicker Steve Christie recovers his own onside kick on the ensuing kickoff, Frank Reich hits Don Beebe for a 38-yard score. Oilers 35, Bills 17

Buffalo's defense forces a three-and-out, then Reich and Andre Reed hook up for a 26-yard touchdown. Oilers 35, Bills 24

Safety Henry Jones intercepts Moon, returning it to the Houston 23. The Bills go for it on fourth-and-five and Reich makes the decision pay off, connecting with Reed on an 18-yard TD pass. Oilers 35, Bills 31

The Oilers had an opportunity to pad their lead, but fumbled the snap on a field-goal attempt and turned the ball over on downs. The Bills took advantage, going on a 74-yard scoring drive, culminated in Reich's third TD pass to Reed in little more than 16 minutes. Bills 38, Oilers 35

Houston sent the game to OT with an Al Del Greco field goal with 12 seconds left, then got the ball to start the extra period. But Nate Odomes intercepted Moon in Oilers territory to set up Christie's 32-yard game-winning field goal. Bills 41, Oilers 38
    "We choked," Oilers safety Cris Dishman would say in describing the biggest collapse in NFL history. "We choked as a team. We choked as management. Everybody in this organization just choked."

We couldn't have said it better.
  • BuffaloJayhawk
    • Aug 2004

I doubt anyone will top the spankies
    http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• G. Host
      Banned
      • Jul 2002

Greate game. I have the 10 year Comeback poster signed by Reich himself.

Originally posted by shotgun
      http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3096944?GT1=5377

3. Houston Oilers, 1992 AFC wild card game

Steve Christie and Frank Reich celebrate the Bills' comeback win over the Oilers in the AFC wild card game. (Rick Stewart / GettyImages)

"We choked," Oilers safety Cris Dishman would say in describing the biggest collapse in NFL history. "We choked as a team. We choked as management. Everybody in this organization just choked."

We couldn't have said it better.

Comment

• northernbillfan
        Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Phew, at least they didn't include wide right.
        When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
          Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
          • Jan 2004

Of course the yankees would be #1 beacause it happened 2 days ago... Next year some other team will choke and they will be #1... happens every year. Just like this years super bowl will be "the best one ever"

Comment

• tampabay25690
            • Feb 2004

YANKEES should be #1 on this list!!!!!!! It is sad when a team has a $180 million payroll and lose 4 straight games. The organization should be embarassed. See we all know that Torre can't coach and it showed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love to see the Yankees lose!!!
            GO Gators!!!!!!
            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jfreeman
              Of course the yankees would be #1 beacause it happened 2 days ago... Next year some other team will choke and they will be #1... happens every year. Just like this years super bowl will be "the best one ever"
              I think this will be registerred as the all-time choke ....because it broke soo many historic records.

No one fell so hard, so far, so fast.

The Oilers should be right up there- but they only blew a lead once. The Yankees did it more than once.

Comment

• The King
                Without me it's just Awe so
                • Jun 2004

One of the Boston Channels named the series the big win in Boston of all time. Beating the Pats and all the Celtics Championships. It only makes sense that it should be the biggest choke job of all time.
                I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                It was all
                true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                  Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                  YANKEES should be #1 on this list!!!!!!! It is sad when a team has a $180 million payroll and lose 4 straight games. The organization should be embarassed. See we all know that Torre can't coach and it showed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love to see the Yankees lose!!!
                  I think it's hilarious they spent that much and ended up falling on their face harder than Fidel Castro.

When I was going to work thursday morning all the radio stations down here in NYC where offering "support" lines for people who were too depressed to go to work cuz of the Yankees big choke. I wanted to call in and tell them to try being a Bills fan, then they'd know the true meaning of "depressed sports fans".

Comment

Working...
                  X