X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crisis
    • Aug 2004

Why is Henry better than Willis?

I'm not going to base this post on stats, since statistically WM is much better than Travis, but if you look at Willis' performance, he did all the things Travis does (and did better than him).

Travis is the kind of runner that bulls you around, and gets you tired.

Willis is the kind of runner that will bull you around, and has good speed. He has the potential to knock someone over, AND then to run for a huge gain. Travis doesnt not have that ability. Also, something Willis did 200% better than Travis was knowing where the 1st down marker is. I don't remember Willis getting stopped on any 3rd down play, even where there was a defender or two that got a body on him.

Other than his running, Willis is also a better catch-passer out of the backfield. On any play, he has the chance to break a huge-run. Travis does not.

Why start the inferior back? Travis' trade value wont decrease. I'm more concerned about winning, and fact is, we have a better chance to win with Willis, as well as get a glimpse of what he can do.
    Originally posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Originally posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Originally posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

The answer you are going to get from TH supporters is "it was only one game". (see my thread Catch-22)

Bottom line is that yes, it was only one game but it was the only game he played the entire game. Give him a couple more starts and see what happens. If he sucks, you still have TH. If he rocks, then what's the problem? We spent a #1 on him...he is the back of our future...why not get him playing and getting experience? Especially if he is actually outperforming TH?

Comment

• Throne Logic
      Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
      • Aug 2002

I'm on the record as not really caring which one starts, 'cuz I'm just happy we've got two good RB's.

However, just a minor counterpoint to the argument that Crisis put up: Miami came into the game ranked 27th against the run. Even Drew Bledsoe was able to "scramble" in this game. I just don't see it as a good measure of anything.

My counterpoint to Mr. Cynical is this: Why do you believe that the RB is the problem with the running game? From where I've been sitting, it's 99% the OL's problem. Willis had a large number of no gainers vs. Miami.
      Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Throne Logic
        Willis had a large number of no gainers vs. Miami.

Can you point out 3?
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Throne Logic
          Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
          Can you point out 3?
          I could, but why? My point was that the RB position is not the problem. If Travis played vs. Miami, he'd have had 100 yards, too. Heck, friggin' Statueman had a 10 yard scramble (Campbell's holding penalty had nothing to do with the run). Miami CANNOT stop the run. I'm very impressed with WM's performance, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt considering the opposition.

Many of you seem to believe that putting Willis in will magically fix the offensive woes on this team. It won't. Getting better OL performance is the only thing that will. EVERYTHING stems from the OL. Better pass protection will allow Evans to actually run down field before Drew gets sacked. Better run blocking will allow either Travis or Willis to hit actual holes, instead of trying to make their own. If you noticed, our OL seemed to be playing much better despite missing two key starters. Do you really think that Tucker and Price are that much better than Teague and Jennings? No, Miami just isn't getting it done in the trench.
          Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• juice
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
            The answer you are going to get from TH supporters is "it was only one game". (see my thread Catch-22)

Bottom line is that yes, it was only one game but it was the only game he played the entire game. Give him a couple more starts and see what happens. If he sucks, you still have TH. If he rocks, then what's the problem? We spent a #1 on him...he is the back of our future...why not get him playing and getting experience? Especially if he is actually outperforming TH?
            The problem with your reasoning is that if Travis doesn't get over 1000 yds this season then you wont even get a second round pick for him.. It is common Knowledge what a healthy WM can do from his college days, what has to be answered is if he will ever be 100 %.. From last games #s I'd say he is getting close.

I think the Staff has seen as much as they need to in order to trade Henry.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Crisis
              • Aug 2004

Henry's trade value wont decrease. GMs aren't dumb enough to judge a player by his stats under one year, especially with his previous seasons, and the circumstances we're in. You have a good runner, with a dirt cheap contract. A team like 'Zona could use a Travis.

TL:

Willis had better productivity than Henry did behind the same line. The fact that impressed me most was Willis' ability to break tackles. He's a Henry-type runner with more speeed.

I never said Willis will magically fix the offense, but he's done better behind the same line as Travis, and come up clutch. Something Travis is the opposite of this year.

Comment

• Halbert
                I'm Not Normal
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                Can you point out 3?
                Were you stoned during the game?

Comment

• juice
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Crisis
                  Henry's trade value wont decrease. GMs aren't dumb enough to judge a player by his stats under one year, especially with his previous seasons, and the circumstances we're in. You have a good runner, with a dirt cheap contract. A team like 'Zona could use a Travis.

TL:

Willis had better productivity than Henry did behind the same line. The fact that impressed me most was Willis' ability to break tackles. He's a Henry-type runner with more speeed.

I never said Willis will magically fix the offense, but he's done better behind the same line as Travis, and come up clutch. Something Travis is the opposite of this year.
                  When negotiating, GMs look at the #s and all they will see is a 5'9 Pwr runner, who lacks gamebreaking speed and failed to gain 1000 yds the prior season, not to mention has had problems fumbleing in the past.. That equals a 3rd rounder at best.

Performance not potential matters

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Crisis
                    • Aug 2004

He doesn't have any potential. His performance is 2 1,500 yard seasons.

GMs aren't stupid enough to buy into stats where he sits most of the year. (if thats the case)

Comment

• juice
                      • Aug 2003

He doesn't have any potential. His performance is 2 1,500 yard seasons.

GMs aren't stupid enough to buy into stats where he sits most of the year. (if thats the case)
                      So your arguement is that a lack of production by Henry this year because of splitting carries, will be overlooked by GMs because of his past performance?

I have to question the logic behind those negotiation tactics..

Most GMs go by the What have you done for me lately school of thought.

Comment

• Crisis
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by juice
                        So your arguement is that a lack of production by Henry this year because of splitting carries, will be overlooked by GMs because of his past performance?

I have to question the logic behind those negotiation tactics..

Most GMs go by the What have you done for me lately school of thought.
                        What's to question them? He's 1 year removed from a 1,500 yard year. No serious injuries, young, and is a warrior.

Comment

• juice
                          • Aug 2003

What's to question them? He's 1 year removed from a 1,500 yard year. No serious injuries, young, and is a warrior.
                          Don't forget he's also an undersized power runner, with questionable recieving and blocking skills.

Production THIS YEAR will be key in establishing his market value.. Why do you think he was making the big fuss in the Pre-season about losing carries.

Gamebreaking ability and his size are the major issues in TH case.. It's not like he has J. Lewis type size and ability.

Comment

• Crisis
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by juice
                            Don't forget he's also an undersized power runner, with questionable recieving and blocking skills.

Production THIS YEAR will be key in establishing his market value.. Why do you think he was making the big fuss in the Pre-season about losing carries.

Gamebreaking ability and his size are the major issues in TH case.. It's not like he has J. Lewis type size and ability.
                            Size isn't as big of a deal as you make it out to be.

He was making a fuss in the pre-season because he didn't want to lose his starting job, something which is bound to happen. Henry wasn't thinking about his trade value when he said those remarks, he was thinking of his starting spot.

Besides, last I checked Henry isn't going to jail like Lewis.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Halbert
                              Were you stoned during the game?
                              a lil tipsy but not stoned, I challenge you to go back into the game by game, provided by NFL.com or CBS.com and find 3 times he was stopped for NO gain, not little gain, but no gain at all. It could be but I sure as hell dont remeber seeing it anymore than once.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X