PDA

View Full Version : Andre Reed talks about the RB situation

northernbillfan
10-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Great read from one of the greatest receivers. Reed mentions that having two RBs reminds him of the Davis/Thomas days.

The game has changed a lot the past couple of years but some things remain the same. I see a lot of parallels between Travis Henry and Willis McGahee to Thurman Thomas and Kenneth Davis. Thurman and Kenneth were able to exist together because they each realized their role on the football team. The team respected each one of those guys and both were great at different times for us. I don't think there is as big of a controversy between Henry and McGahee as people think there is. The media likes to stir up a lot of things that just aren't there. They have to sell papers so they need headlines to grab their readers.

Full article (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=2843)

TedMock
10-22-2004, 04:10 PM
I disagree with parts of this. McGahee/Henry will NEVER equal Thomas/Davis. There's a little thing called Free Agency that's run a little different nowadays. The days of parking starting material on the bench is over. Guys knew, and accepted their roles as backups. Not that they wouldn't have wanted to start, but they did what they had to do. Our backs now will never accept a long-term #2 postition. It's a totally different game than it was in the early 90's.

northernbillfan
10-22-2004, 04:16 PM
I agree with you Ted. Especially since McGahee was quoted earlier in the season saying, "start me or trade me". Even tho he added that his comments were taken out of context he still said it. He will never be comfortable being second.

Mr. Cynical
10-22-2004, 06:24 PM
I don't think Davis could have been a long term starter. He was probably one of the best backups at his position to play the game, much like Reich was. However both WM and TH can (and will be) starters in this league. TH already has been for a few years and WM is poised to do the same.

TigerJ
10-22-2004, 08:23 PM
How long has free agency been around? I thought it preceded the ThurmanThomas/ Kenneth Davis era.

Marvelous
10-23-2004, 12:40 AM
I would love to see Mcgahee/Henry be like Thomas/Davis. We could afford them if they would be content with the shared role and if the coaching staff would use them the right way. IMO it would take a press conference from both of them at the same time to get the media off there backs. But i agree it's not gonna happen :cry: