PDA

View Full Version : How about this for a defensive game plan??

Ebenezer
11-12-2002, 11:11 AM
The best 2 players for KC are Gonzalez and Holmes. Their WRs are unremarkable and Trent Green is not the second coming of DB. I say we use a 5-1-5... Stack the line with 6 or 7 and yet have enough to cover our butts. Gonzalez is their best receiver. I say put Clements 1-on-1 with him all day. Bump him at the line and throw him off. SF did it with a LB why can't Clements if he is as All-pro as we think. Let the DBs (Watson, Winfield, Wire and Prileau) cover the remaining WRs as usual. Now. Put 5 DL in the game (you can rotate Newman in there too). Stuff the line and even have Wire cheat a little. This should free up Fletcher to spy on Holmes the whole game. The most important thing: Keep Eddie Robinson off the field and away from Holmes and Gonzalez. That is a missmatch we cannot win.

:feedback:

Pride
11-12-2002, 02:17 PM
hmmmm interesting. I say put 3 DL and stack the outside with Newman and Fletcher for speed rushes. Sit Nate in the middle and have an umbrella over top of him.

Sounds a bit like a Jr. High football D when up by 45 points, but it may jsut work

I think the key is to get the 11 best D players from our team onto the field at the same time... no matter how you have to work it.

BillsOwnAll
11-12-2002, 02:19 PM
i really think we should try that "roaming defense"

venis2k1
11-12-2002, 02:27 PM
do whatever SF did, they shut down preist, and Gonzo

venis2k1
11-12-2002, 02:30 PM
its gonna be nice to have Winfield back on the feild. our Defense has shown a consederable amount of improvment in the last couple of weeks, and he is gonna give them the shot in the arm that our D needs to become respectable

ArcticWildMan
11-12-2002, 03:02 PM
One flaw in your plan Eb. It requires flexability in the game plan. Something Gray has shown a complete lack of :p:

4thAndLong
11-12-2002, 03:17 PM
Priest Holmes is their leading receiver, how do we stop him out of the backfield?

ArcticWildMan
11-12-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by 4thAndLong
Priest Holmes is their leading receiver, how do we stop him out of the backfield?

Stack the line with 8 but have the LB's drop back into pass coverage after the snap if it's a pass play.

4thAndLong
11-12-2002, 03:28 PM
I dont like that, we've already exhibited we cant stop screens, whats gonna stop the Chiefs from running Holmes on us?

ArcticWildMan
11-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Well, Winfield will be back and that should make a big difference. He can tackle a hell of a lot better than Watson did.

4thAndLong
11-12-2002, 03:43 PM
Do the screen away from Winfield, I know Winfield usually covers the slot, but what if you go to the opposite of Winfield...Does he have the speed to come from the other side of the field to make a tackle? Especially after coming back from injury.

TigerJ
11-13-2002, 09:04 PM
I think Buffalo should put a spy on Holmes and double Gonzalez with Robinson and a CB.

WG
11-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Interesting Eb!

Some good points following too.

MO is that their OL is simply gonna dominate our DL though. We've been weak all season. They have some good talent on their OL. That will play into that as well, especially when they run the ball. I agree that we don't have to worry about career games out of their WRs.

Maybe concentrate on plugging the holes against Holmes no matter if it takes 6 guys, then shadow him to make sure he doesn't spring some big runs for homeruns.

That will leave TG left alone other than for normal coverage. But we may have to take that gamble. The team is built around PH, not TG.

I like Eb's idea of putting Clements on TG. Clements is our best cover CB and has the size too strenght wise. We really need a DB who's 6'2" or so. Driver is somewhat large, maybe him.

Or simply putting Newman on TG duty all game. He's about equally matched. Polk can fill in for him or we can run w/ 2 LBs. 5 on the line, an extra lineman.

Then again, gotta agree w/ AWM that there haven't exactly been swoons of flexibility in our defensive game plan this season.

Should be interesting. This game is like a box of chocolates! You never know what you're going to get.

Typ0
11-13-2002, 09:26 PM
I think our game plan should be to dose their Gatoraid by half time they'll be laughing so hard they won't care who wins because they are happy as hell.