PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love Parity in the NFL

vabillsfan
11-12-2002, 12:19 PM
Think about it - last week, we were bombarded with "Bills stink, won't make playoffs, who have they beaten?".

This week, the might Dulfins fell again to a team we lost to in week one. A team supposedly out of it

The Broncos, about to be annointed best in the AFC lost to the free falling Raiders, putting Oakland right back into it.

The Dolts beat the Eagles?! The Eagles who were SB threats?

The NY GIants - on the bottom of the heap, now only a game out of first in the NFC East?

The Falcons, while improving, tied the resurgent Steelers?!

Tennessee, left for dead weeks ago is rolling and on track to win their division.

Except for Green Bay, who can actually clinch their division this week, everyone has a shot at a division title!

Our Bills, who haven't "beaten anyone of consequence" are now tied for first with rematches left against the 2 we're tied with and the Jets who are suddenly very much alive and on our heels.

The point? I don't care what you say, its true that any Sunday, anyone can and does win. And yes, it can happen over and over and over. Its happened every week this season.

I would venture a guess here that other than maybe Houston, Cinncinati, Minnesota,Chicago and probably Seattle, Detroit and Dallas, every other team is alive and has a great shot at the playoffs. Check the standings here:

EAST W L T
New England 5 4 0
Miami 5 4 0
Buffalo 5 4 0
NY Jets 4 5 0

NORTH W L T
Pittsburgh 5 3 1
Baltimore 4 5 0
Cleveland 4 5 0
Cincinnati 1 8 0

SOUTH W L T
Indianapolis 5 4 0
Tennessee 5 4 0
Jacksonville 4 5 0
Houston 2 7 0

WEST W L T
Denver 6 3 0
San Diego 6 3 0
Oakland 5 4 0
Kansas City 4 5 0

2002 National Football Conference Standings
EAST W L T
Philadelphia 6 3 0
NY Giants 5 4 0
Washington 4 5 0
Dallas 3 6 0

NORTH W L T
Green Bay 8 1 0
Detroit 3 6 0
Minnesota 2 7 0
Chicago 2 7 0

SOUTH W L T
New Orleans 7 2 0
Tampa Bay 7 2 0
Atlanta 5 3 1
Carolina 3 6 0

WEST W L T
San Francisco 7 2 0
St. Louis 4 5 0
Arizona 4 5 0
Seattle 3 6 0

Call me crazy, but this is pretty cool and what all leagues should be. I loved our 4 runs to the SB but the age of the dynasty is done!

lordofgun
11-12-2002, 12:28 PM
GB is the only team I'm afraid of, end even they can be beaten.

I love parity.

lunatic_bills_fan
11-12-2002, 03:42 PM
IMO this has been an exciting year in football. Although im still not a fan of the new alignment. This may be partially due to the fact that the every week Im fired up stating Monday morning to watch the Bills again, but also that the NFl has shown why every professional sport should go to a salary cap based league. Like you said beside the Bungles and Texans, so much is up for grabs. This is why I love this game.

Novacane
11-12-2002, 03:59 PM
Not Me! I wish the Bills were 9-0 and the most dominating team of all time :bigwave:

Cntrygal
11-14-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
GB is the only team I'm afraid of, end even they can be beaten.

I love parity.

I hope we break the streak in GB this year. :evil: If we can't.... I hope it's not ugly. :(

Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
Not Me! I wish the Bills were 9-0 and the most dominating team of all time :bigwave:

That would be great....

WG
11-14-2002, 08:50 AM
I'm w/ B2 on this one. I'll miss the Bills dynasty of the early '90s never to return. The Bills recruiting/drafting/scouting staff's skills have been partially negated due to this entire parity thing. It's a shame for Bills fans b/c we used to draft very well. Nowadays, on good picks, you draft them, 'raise' them, and then in their prime they go elsewhere on FAcy.

Oh well, at least we're bringing them in. But I sure wouldn't mind being the most dominant team in the league or conference for 5 straight seasons or so.

Then again, if we can manage the cap thru FAcy as well as we do/did our drafts, then we can use that too.

casdhf
11-14-2002, 09:32 AM
That stuff can still be done, it just takes better management. I think once GMs finally get a handle on the cap (not John Butler) we will start to see some of these teams stay on top. One year wonders are all over the place, but teams like the Packers and 49ers have been good for a few years now.

WG
11-14-2002, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I actually agree w/ you.

Shhhh....

:D

But you're right. Since full-fledged FAcy began, coaches and GMs have now started considering that chemistry often is better than simply a collection of talent on paper.

Now that FAcy has come near to a "steady-state" status, you're correct that it will become easier to manage. Capologists are now as heavily required as are scouts or other staff in that area.

Still though, the draft, at least it's long-term value, has been severely mitigated. Part of that is good. Part is not. What's good about it is for the players, that if someone say gets drafted by Cincy, then they can be "set free" after their first term/sentence. LOL

Voltron
11-14-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
IMO this has been an exciting year in football. Although im still not a fan of the new alignment. This may be partially due to the fact that the every week Im fired up stating Monday morning to watch the Bills again, but also that the NFl has shown why every professional sport should go to a salary cap based league. Like you said beside the Bungles and Texans, so much is up for grabs. This is why I love this game.

:up:

I so agree! I wish Baseball would go to a salary cap. Then I might watch it!