X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vabillsfan
    • Jul 2002

Gotta Love Parity in the NFL

Think about it - last week, we were bombarded with "Bills stink, won't make playoffs, who have they beaten?".

This week, the might Dulfins fell again to a team we lost to in week one. A team supposedly out of it

The Broncos, about to be annointed best in the AFC lost to the free falling Raiders, putting Oakland right back into it.

The Dolts beat the Eagles?! The Eagles who were SB threats?

The NY GIants - on the bottom of the heap, now only a game out of first in the NFC East?

The Falcons, while improving, tied the resurgent Steelers?!

Tennessee, left for dead weeks ago is rolling and on track to win their division.

Except for Green Bay, who can actually clinch their division this week, everyone has a shot at a division title!

Our Bills, who haven't "beaten anyone of consequence" are now tied for first with rematches left against the 2 we're tied with and the Jets who are suddenly very much alive and on our heels.

The point? I don't care what you say, its true that any Sunday, anyone can and does win. And yes, it can happen over and over and over. Its happened every week this season.

I would venture a guess here that other than maybe Houston, Cinncinati, Minnesota,Chicago and probably Seattle, Detroit and Dallas, every other team is alive and has a great shot at the playoffs. Check the standings here:

EAST W L T
    New England 5 4 0
    Miami 5 4 0
    Buffalo 5 4 0
    NY Jets 4 5 0

NORTH W L T
    Pittsburgh 5 3 1
    Baltimore 4 5 0
    Cleveland 4 5 0
    Cincinnati 1 8 0

SOUTH W L T
    Indianapolis 5 4 0
    Tennessee 5 4 0
    Jacksonville 4 5 0
    Houston 2 7 0

WEST W L T
    Denver 6 3 0
    San Diego 6 3 0
    Oakland 5 4 0
    Kansas City 4 5 0

2002 National Football Conference Standings
    EAST W L T
    Philadelphia 6 3 0
    NY Giants 5 4 0
    Washington 4 5 0
    Dallas 3 6 0

NORTH W L T
    Green Bay 8 1 0
    Detroit 3 6 0
    Minnesota 2 7 0
    Chicago 2 7 0

SOUTH W L T
    New Orleans 7 2 0
    Tampa Bay 7 2 0
    Atlanta 5 3 1
    Carolina 3 6 0

WEST W L T
    San Francisco 7 2 0
    St. Louis 4 5 0
    Arizona 4 5 0
    Seattle 3 6 0

Call me crazy, but this is pretty cool and what all leagues should be. I loved our 4 runs to the SB but the age of the dynasty is done!
    Screw you Phins fans, I'm going home!
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

GB is the only team I'm afraid of, end even they can be beaten.

I love parity.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• lunatic_bills_fan
      • Oct 2002

IMO this has been an exciting year in football. Although im still not a fan of the new alignment. This may be partially due to the fact that the every week Im fired up stating Monday morning to watch the Bills again, but also that the NFl has shown why every professional sport should go to a salary cap based league. Like you said beside the Bungles and Texans, so much is up for grabs. This is why I love this game.

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
        • Jul 2002

Gotta Love Parity in the NFL

Not Me! I wish the Bills were 9-0 and the most dominating team of all time

Comment

• Cntrygal
          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
          • Jul 2002

Re: Gotta Love Parity in the NFL

Originally posted by lordofgun
          GB is the only team I'm afraid of, end even they can be beaten.

I love parity.
          I hope we break the streak in GB this year. If we can't.... I hope it's not ugly.

Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
          Not Me! I wish the Bills were 9-0 and the most dominating team of all time
          That would be great....
          Originally posted by notacon
          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Wys Guy
            Drew and Sam stole all my hair
            • Jul 2002

I'm w/ B2 on this one. I'll miss the Bills dynasty of the early '90s never to return. The Bills recruiting/drafting/scouting staff's skills have been partially negated due to this entire parity thing. It's a shame for Bills fans b/c we used to draft very well. Nowadays, on good picks, you draft them, 'raise' them, and then in their prime they go elsewhere on FAcy.

Oh well, at least we're bringing them in. But I sure wouldn't mind being the most dominant team in the league or conference for 5 straight seasons or so.

Then again, if we can manage the cap thru FAcy as well as we do/did our drafts, then we can use that too.
            Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• casdhf
              • Jul 2002

That stuff can still be done, it just takes better management. I think once GMs finally get a handle on the cap (not John Butler) we will start to see some of these teams stay on top. One year wonders are all over the place, but teams like the Packers and 49ers have been good for a few years now.
              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Wys Guy
                Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                • Jul 2002

Yeah, I actually agree w/ you.

Shhhh....

But you're right. Since full-fledged FAcy began, coaches and GMs have now started considering that chemistry often is better than simply a collection of talent on paper.

Now that FAcy has come near to a "steady-state" status, you're correct that it will become easier to manage. Capologists are now as heavily required as are scouts or other staff in that area.

Still though, the draft, at least it's long-term value, has been severely mitigated. Part of that is good. Part is not. What's good about it is for the players, that if someone say gets drafted by Cincy, then they can be "set free" after their first term/sentence. LOL
                Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Voltron
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
                  IMO this has been an exciting year in football. Although im still not a fan of the new alignment. This may be partially due to the fact that the every week Im fired up stating Monday morning to watch the Bills again, but also that the NFl has shown why every professional sport should go to a salary cap based league. Like you said beside the Bungles and Texans, so much is up for grabs. This is why I love this game.

I so agree! I wish Baseball would go to a salary cap. Then I might watch it!
                  Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
                  - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                  -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
                  - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X