PDA

View Full Version : A possibility when the TD era is over.

Jeff1220
10-25-2004, 01:43 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast

If/when TD gets the boot, Pioli could be a nice pick up...

Working in the last year of his contract with the Patriots, we hear that it won’t be a surprise if vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli, the NFL’s 2003 Executive of the Year and head coach Bill Belichick’s right-hand man, strikes out on his own this offseason to head up his own personnel staff with another NFL team. One team that has been rumored is Miami, which is mulling the prospects of major turnover in its front office and coaching ranks this offseason. However, we hear that the Jets are also a possibility. Pioli was raised in New York, his first front-office job was with the Jets and he maintains a good relationship with Jets senior vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum. Jets GM Terry Bradway is in the last year of his contract, and there are rumors that tensions are mounting between head coach Herm Edwards and Bradway. This would be more than a business decision for Pioli, who is extremely close to Belichick and owner Robert Kraft. If Pioli does leave, don’t be surprised if Belichick promotes Patriots director of pro personnel Nick Caserio, who turns 29 in December and has already taken a greater role in the organization since being promoted last February, making him the youngest pro personnel director in the NFL.

Tatonka
10-25-2004, 01:44 PM
unfortunately.. td wont be gone anytime soon.

Ickybaluky
10-25-2004, 02:48 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast

If/when TD gets the boot, Pioli could be a nice pick up...

I'm not sure where they got their facts, but Pioli is not in the last year of his contract. Before this season, he signed a multi-year extension.

Jeff1220
10-25-2004, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure where they got their facts, but Pioli is not in the last year of his contract. Before this season, he signed a multi-year extension.

Teams usually allow for employees to interview for positions that are considered a promotion anyway (Like C. Weiss interviewing for HC positions last year). They can block the interview, but rarely do. Franchises that do that are usually looked down on for doing it.

Mr. Cynical
10-25-2004, 03:17 PM
All good things must come to an end. :snicker:

Bulldog
10-25-2004, 03:53 PM
unfortunately.. td wont be gone anytime soon.

When Ralph Wilson said he blames himself for the teams lousy performance after the Jets game, I think that was a sign that he is losing faith in TD. I have a feeling the TD will be gone at the end of the year if this team doesn't start showing dramatic improvement. Tom Modrak anyone?

Drive 4 Five
10-25-2004, 04:07 PM
And what makes any of you think that Scott Pioli would want to come work for the laughing stock of the league, cursed ass, Buffalo Bills. Because we are always going after whatever scraps New England will give us? Give me a f**king break!

Mr. Miyagi
10-25-2004, 04:12 PM
And what makes any of you think that Scott Pioli would want to come work for the laughing stock of the league, cursed ass, Buffalo Bills. Because we are always going after whatever scraps New England will give us? Give me a f**king break!
Because Pioli went to work for the Pats when they were the laughing stock of the league also.

Ickybaluky
10-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Teams usually allow for employees to interview for positions that are considered a promotion anyway (Like C. Weiss interviewing for HC positions last year). They can block the interview, but rarely do. Franchises that do that are usually looked down on for doing it.

First of all, it is not uncommon for other teams to be denied permission to speak to front office people. It is much different than coaches. The Patriots did that very thing with Pioli this past offseason, when Miami sought permission to interview him. See this article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42375-2004May20.html), which states:

"But after a wide-ranging GM search in which they were rebuffed by former Green Bay Packers general manager Ron Wolf and denied permission to interview Scott Pioli, the New England Patriots' vice president of player personnel, Huizenga settled on a new structure in which he promoted personnel chief Rick Spielman to GM and brought in former quarterback Dan Marino as vice president of football operations."

The Patriots have let front office people leave if they thought the position was a better one. For instance, they let a highly thought of scouting director go last year (his name escapes me now) leave to take a director of Pro Personnel position elsewhere. However, they have stated many times they feel Pioli is the GM of the Patriots, even if he doesn't have the title. He runs the front office, so they will not let him leave to be a GM because it would be a lateral move. Pioli himself stated when he signed his last contract that he did not wish to leave the Patriots, because he felt there was too much left here for him to accomplish.

There have been several national sources saying Pioli is on the wish list of several teams, but they have not looked up his status. He doesn't have the ability to leave, even if wanted to (which he doesn't).