PDA

View Full Version : Leagues are too Running back heavy!

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 10:13 AM
In my money league we decided to even the playing field. It seems stupid to have such a emphasis on Running backs while WR’s are lucky to get 3 or 4 points. So what we did was award 1 point per reception. This not only helps the WR’s but also RB’s who catch the ball out of the backfield. It’s really worked out great. The draft didn’t see 20 RB’s taken in the top 22 picks, WR’s are putting up comparable numbers and pool of talented fantasy players increased which in turn opened up the competitive balance of the league.

Examples

Under yardage and TD leagues,

R. Moss, 7 catches for 120 yards and no TD’s – 6 points for a great game.
B. Rolle, 1 catch for 3 yards and 1 TD – 6 points for 1 play

Under my system
R. Moss, 7 catches for 120 yards and no TD’s – 13 points for a great game.
B. Rolle, 1 catch for 3 yards and 1 TD – 7 points for 1 play

There’s discussion on whether or not it should be reduced to a half point for a catch which in my example would give Moss, 9.5 and Rolle 6.5.

Just a suggestion!

lordofgun
10-26-2004, 10:42 AM
You should give 1 point for every ten yards rushing and receiving, not one for every 20.

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 10:56 AM
You should give 1 point for every ten yards rushing and receiving, not one for every 20.
That was discussed but that would just increase RB productivity as much as it would for the WR! The points for receptions brings the WR to the same league and at the same time is a benefit to RB’s.

Example

Under 20 yards, no reception plan:

P. Holmes, 120 yards 1 TD 1 catch 10 yards – 12
M. Harrison, 7 catches, 80 yards, 0 TD’s – 4

Under 10 yards, no reception plan:
P. Holmes, 120 yards 1 TD 1 catch 10 yards – 19
M. Harrison, 7 catches, 80 yards, 0 TD’s – 8

Under the 10-yard plan, P. Holmes actually benefits more

Under 20 yards, 1 point for reception plan
P. Holmes, 120 yards 1 TD 1 catch 10 yards – 13
M. Harrison, 7 catches, 80 yards, 0 TD’s – 11

Evens the playing field.

However, I’m pushing to get it knocked down to .5 points to make it.

Under 20 yards, .5 point for reception plan
M. Harrison, 7 catches, 80 yards, 0 TD’s – 7.5

This boosts the WR points but still gives advantage to scoring TD’s.

Dozerdog
10-26-2004, 11:04 AM
That was discussed but that would just increase RB productivity as much as it would for the WR! The points for receptions brings the WR to the same league and at the same time is a benefit to RB’s.

Example

Under 20 yards, no reception plan:

P. Holmes, 120 yards 1 TD 1 catch 10 yards – 12
M. Harrison, 7 catches, 80 yards, 0 TD’s – 4

Under 10 yards, no reception plan:
P. Holmes, 120 yards 1 TD 1 catch 10 yards – 19
M. Harrison, 7 catches, 80 yards, 0 TD’s – 8

Under the 10-yard plan, P. Holmes actually benefits more

Under 20 yards, 1 point for reception plan
M. Harrison, 7 catches, 80 yards, 0 TD’s – 11

Evens the playing field.

However, I’m pushing to get it knocked down to .5 points to make it.

Under 20 yards, .5 point for reception plan
M. Harrison, 7 catches, 80 yards, 0 TD’s – 7.5

This boosts the WR points but still gives advantage to scoring TD’s.

So If Ladamian Tomlinson has 40 yds rushing, and 7 catches for 35 yards, he gets 3 points for yards and 7 points for the receptions?

10 points for what would be considered a semi-average day?

Dozerdog
10-26-2004, 11:05 AM
So If Ladamian Tomlinson has 40 yds rushing, and 7 catches for 35 yards, he gets 3 points for yards and 7 points for the receptions?

If you want to even the playing field - then your better bet is to reduce the amount of starting RB slots.

Maybe 1 starting RB and one WR/RB(flex) slot.

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 11:08 AM

Which is why I'm trying to get it to .5 points! That would give him 6.5 which is reasonable for that day.

The key is making WR's worth more. So if you have a WR that has 3 catches for 35 yards he's getting 4 points as opposed to 1.

Ebenezer
10-26-2004, 11:09 AM
our league totals would be in bold...

R. Moss, 7 catches for 120 yards and no TD’s – 6 points for a great game. 12 points
B. Rolle, 1 catch for 3 yards and 1 TD – 6 points for 1 play 6.3 points

we award 0.1 point for every yard (rush and receiving combined) and 6 for a TD.

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 11:09 AM
If you want to even the playing field - then your better bet is to reduce the amount of starting RB slots.

Actually, it's working out great. As long as everyone knows the rules before the draft, they know how to draft. Instead of having a draft where RB's go in the first 8 spots, guys like Owens, Moss and Harrison become big time players. Makes the league more interesting.

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 11:15 AM
our league totals would be in bold...

we award 0.1 point for every yard (rush and receiving combined) and 6 for a TD.

That makes sense,

Dozerdog
10-26-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm in a very unusual league right now-

10 teams 16 starting spots, roster size =22

1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 2 te, 2 wr/rb, 2 wr/te, 1 k, and 1 d

20 points per yard - fractional scoring (or .05 points per yard). 1 point for every 50 passing yards. But they also hammer you for turnovers (-2) and sacks (-1)

Mike Vick has a total of 16 points FOR THE YEAR!!!.....LOL.....-7 last week.

It puts a premium on finding the 2nd or 3rd WRs on a team- like a Lee Evans, Darius Watts, Brandon Stokley- who are productive.

It's a total points league and I'm dominating- but it's turnoing out to be very interesting as well. Every one of my players is a starter. Even bad starters like Chris Chambers are better than - say- a good 3rd WR on most teams. I'm the only one averaging over 100 points per game and have a 70 point lead over the next guy. I almost doubled up on the 3 last place teams already.

Easy money!

lordofgun
10-26-2004, 11:20 AM

Exactly. Still makes RBs very valuable, while increasing the WR's value as well since you can start either 1 RB and 3 WR or 2 RB and 2 WR.

The real culprit is the 20 yards per point rushing/receiving. That's the problem right there. TDs are to valuable and yardage not valuable enough so you get a TE that scores one touchdown with 6 points and a WR that has 100 yards only gets 5 oints. Something wrong with that picture.

My ideal setup:

Start:
1 QB
1 RB
2 WR
1 RB/WR
1 TE
1 K
1 D

1 point per 25 passing yards
6 points all TDs
-2 fumbles or INTs

We also award bonuses as follows:
1 bonus point per 100 yards receiving or rushing
1 bonus point per 300 yards passing
1 bonus point per TD rush/catch/pass of 50+ yards.

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm in a very unusual league right now-

10 teams 16 starting spots, roster size =22

1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 2 te, 2 wr/rb, 2 wr/te, 1 k, and 1 d

20 points per yard - fractional scoring. 1 point for every 50 passing yards. But they also hammer you for turnovers (-2) and sacks (-1)

Mike Vick has a total of 16 points FOR THE YEAR!!!.....LOL.....-7 last week.

It puts a premium on finding the 2nd or 3rd WRs on a team- like a Lee Evans, Darius Watts, Brandon Stokley- who are productive.

It's a total points league and I'm dominating- but it's turnoing out to be very interesting as well. Every one of my players is a starter. Even bad starters like Chris Chambers are better than - say- a good 3rd WR on most teams. I'm the only one averaging over 100 points per game and have a 70 point lead over the next guy. I almost doubled up on the 3 last place teams already.

Easy money!

I hate negs! Never allow them in my league. A few weeks ago in BFZ3 I was down by 15 points but I had Trent Green and Baltimore D! It's almost no win. If Trent throws an INT it's a wash!

lordofgun
10-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Under my system:

Earthquake Enyart
10-26-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm in a league where WR's get a point a catch, 6 for a TD. What's different is that you get 3 points when they get 50 yards and a point for every 20 beyond that.

RB's get 3 for 50 yards and a point for every 20 beyond that, plus the same receiving points as the WR's.

QB's get 3 for 200 yards, a point for every 20 beyond that, 3 for a TD, -2 for an Int, and a point a completion, minus one for every incompletion.

Ebenezer
10-26-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm in a league where WR's get a point a catch, 6 for a TD. What's different is that you get 3 points when they get 50 yards and a point for every 20 beyond that.

RB's get 3 for 50 yards and a point for every 20 beyond that, plus the same receiving points as the WR's.

QB's get 3 for 200 yards, a point for every 20 beyond that, 3 for a TD, -2 for an Int, and a point a completion, minus one for every incompletion.
the only problem with that is that it is tough to reward for catches...some fullback gets 8 catches for 25 yards and he is as valuable as or more than a WR who catches 2 balls for 25 yards and a TD.

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 11:29 AM
Under my system:

And that's great but it's not my main point. On aveage, RB's score more TD's than WR's, So to even the playing field we wanted to find a way to increase WR scoring. It takes away from TD slightly, but it makes all the players in the league more productive.

I understand limiting rosters but you're still going to get that massive run on RB's early. There's something flawed in a system where a Travis Henry is taken before a Marvin Harrison.

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 11:30 AM
the only problem with that is that it is tough to reward for catches...some fullback gets 8 catches for 25 yards and he is as valuable as or more than a WR who catches 2 balls for 25 yards and a TD.

Which increases your talent pool which is the reason it's done!

Ebenezer
10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Which increases your talent pool which is the reason it's done!
but in the grand scheme of it WR don't control games like RBs do...the Rices and Mosses are not that common.

lordofgun
10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
I understand limiting rosters but you're still going to get that massive run on RB's early. There's something flawed in a system where a Travis Henry is taken before a Marvin Harrison.
That didn't happen in either of my leagues!

Mr. Cynical actually picked Peyton Manning #2 overall in the big money league. :chuckle:

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 11:34 AM
but in the grand scheme of it WR don't control games like RBs do...the Rices and Mosses are not that common.

But a Hines Ward who is useless in other leagues catches 12 balls for 67 yards, becomes a player.

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 11:35 AM
That didn't happen in either of my leagues!

Mr. Cynical actually picked Peyton Manning #2 overall in the big money league. :chuckle:

It' happened in league 3

Earthquake Enyart
10-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Which is why in my league I put a premium on getting the top shelf WR's. I have Holt, Jimmy Smith, and Moulds. Last year I had Holt, Chad Johnson and Jackson and I made it to the Super Bowl. I lost to the guy who had Favre the night after his father died where he threw for 231 TD's. :::

Ebenezer
10-26-2004, 11:37 AM
But a Hines Ward who is useless in other leagues catches 12 balls for 67 yards, becomes a player.
that just makes the draft easier when the pool is wide open...leagues are won in the 4-9 rounds, imo.

lordofgun
10-26-2004, 11:38 AM
But you're rewarding Hines Ward for an average game!! Should a guy who only get 67 yards and no TDs be rewarded with 15 points??

lordofgun
10-26-2004, 11:39 AM
But you're rewarding Hines Ward for an average game!! Should a guy who only get 67 yards and no TDs be rewarded with 15 points??
If you reward one point per ten yards, he has a socre of 6 points, which closely mirrors how his day actually went...average.

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 11:40 AM

He caught the ball 12 times! And as I've said before, I'm trying to get it down to .5 for next year.

and the main reason is to even the playing field.

Patrick76777
10-26-2004, 11:41 AM
If you reward one point per ten yards, he has a socre of 6 points, which closely mirrors how his day actually went...average.

Think outside the box!

Dozerdog
10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
It' happened in league 3

Don't laugh- in the money league I just described I had the last pick round 1 / first pic of round 2.

With all the neg points for interceptions and sacks, and the general dimwitted opponents- I actually picked up Peyton Manning and Edge James with my first two picks. Manning is the #2 overall fantasy point scorer in this league with his low interception and sack ratio.

I still wound up with James, C Brown, W Dunn, M Pittman and Emmit Smith. And after his performance in Buffalo, I called the wife from the parking lot of the Ralph to scoop up Sammy Morris who's been a decent play for me lately.

WRs- Moulds, Rod Smith, Roy Williams, Chambers - then it'd been a carouselle of scrubs (Cherbet, Schroeder, Lee Evans, Curtis Conway)

lordofgun
Why fix it if it isn't broke, Pat?

lordofgun
PATRICK76777: WRONG ON POLITICS. WRONG ON FANTASY FOOTBALL SCORING.

Dozerdog
10-26-2004, 11:45 AM
He caught the ball 12 times! And as I've said before, I'm trying to get it down to .5 for next year.

and the main reason is to even the playing field.

Sounds like a scoring system Gillbride would love- reward the 3 yard out patterns.

Charlieguide
10-26-2004, 09:05 PM
I think I agree with LOG. :eek2:

Reduce the number of starting RB's, and maybe increase the number of WR's.

What we're really talking about here is a supply problem. Too many roster spots to fill, and not enough players. As LOG said, you can shrink rosters. OR you could reduce the number of teams. I'm in two 10-team and one 12-team league. All start at least two RB's. Guess which one has a shortage of RB's? The extra two teams suck up at least six-eight more RB's, plus create a mild panic similar to what you see in a supermarket just before a big blizzard.

Gunzlingr
10-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Actually I think I was the one who picked up Henry over Harrison in #3.

I have had absolute terrible luck when I haven't drafted a RB with my first 2 picks. One year I had Moss & Harrison, and I finished dead last because there were no starting RBs left when it came back to my 11th spot. This year my rankings had T.Hen ranked higher, and we all know how that is going so far :mad:

Charlieguide
10-30-2004, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=Gunzlingr]. . . I finished dead last because there were no starting RBs left when it came back to my 11th spot. QUOTE]

My point exactly. You had too many teams with too many RB's in that league. This preseason, I counted about 24 backs that were likely to get the majority of carries. That left 8 other NFL teams splitting carries. In fantasy terms, that's 24 RB's worthy of starting, 16 strong bench players, and about 24 more RB's that might end up starting due to unexpected circumstances. Not enough to go around.

But, is it worth it to draft a 2nd-tier RB (say Dom Davis) when you could pick up THE BEST QB or WR? I don't think so, but it's all about points. A top-five QB or RB, or top-three WR, will put up similar numbers in most leagues; after that, production drops off significantly, and the next TEN players at each position are very similar (i.e. the #7 and #17 RB are about equal). Case in point: in two of my three leagues, I picked up Culpepper and Moss with my first round pick, then hit RB's in 2 and 3. Both teams are 6-1.