PDA

View Full Version : Henry's Value Bottoms Out

juice
10-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Many posters here argued the point in the pre-season that T-Hen's trade value would be sharply diminished over the course of the season and BEGGED the Bills to deal him then when we could have gotten a 1st rd pick from someone desperate for a RB like Miami.

Now that he couldn't be a starter on a pathetic Bills team, what do you think he will be worth on the open market when he finishes the season with less than 1000 yds, Maybe a 3rd round pick. For what he's being paid we might as well keep him in case WM gets hurt next season, rather than giving him up for nothing.

With TH's history of fumbling, Lack of size paired with his running style, and lack of gamebreaking ability, I dont really see anyone offering anymore than a 3rd rounder for his services.

We'd better hope there are some Quality O-Lineman around in the second round of the draft, who can come in and play immediatly or we may be looking at another 6-10 season next year.

Remember when TD said that a call from the Phins would be "A short one" for Henry's services, I bet he wish he had listened to that offer now. :winkpunch

DraftBoy
10-26-2004, 03:57 PM
I think your wrong. 1) Henry is a proven 1400 yard back and it wasnt just in one fluke system. The size you say is a disadvantage I see as a an advantage bc of his running style. He stays low to the ground and keeps his legs moving. Our record does help to not diminish TH's value, b/c it shows that the whole team sucks not just Henry. There are still teams desperate to get a RB: ARZ, OAK, TB, HOU to name a few. A 3rd rounder would be right about at market value although granted I would hope for an escalator clause to where if TH rushes for X yards we get a 2nd, and if he does X yards and Y TD's we get a 1st. Although I do think a 2nd from OAK, or TB would be feasible.

juice
10-26-2004, 04:13 PM
I think your wrong. 1) Henry is a proven 1400 yard back and it wasnt just in one fluke system. The size you say is a disadvantage I see as a an advantage bc of his running style. He stays low to the ground and keeps his legs moving. Our record does help to not diminish TH's value, b/c it shows that the whole team sucks not just Henry. There are still teams desperate to get a RB: ARZ, OAK, TB, HOU to name a few. A 3rd rounder would be right about at market value although granted I would hope for an escalator clause to where if TH rushes for X yards we get a 2nd, and if he does X yards and Y TD's we get a 1st. Although I do think a 2nd from OAK, or TB would be feasible.
What's the difference between the sorry teams in which he gained the 1400 yards and the team this year on which he will appear to be a dismal failure.

It's tough to get a second rounder for a benched RB.

EDS
10-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Trading Henry before the season would have been a mistake because McGahee's health and abilities were still huge questions marks. You could make the argument that they still are but that is beyond the scope of this thread. No rationale GM trades a 1400 yard back going into a season with no proven back-up, no matter how potentially talented that unproven back-up is. This is consistent with the approaches taken by Carolina (proven 1000+ back Stephen Davis with potential stud/injury concern DeShaun Foster; New Orleans with Ricky Williams and Deuce McCallister).

You can say this is a different story because McGahee is some uper prospect but that does not change the factor that he was not 100% healthy in the offseason ans was 100% unproven.

Bash TD for acquiring Bledsoe, bash him for hiring Greg Williams and Kevin Gilbride, he probably deserves it. But to bash him for not trading Travis Henry, the Bills best player coming into the season, borders on ignorance.

SABURZFAN
10-26-2004, 04:50 PM
the injury and the slobs on the OL didn't help.

Dozerdog
10-26-2004, 05:10 PM
The most important stat GMs will look at is his contract numbers.

If anything- the less wear and tear he gets the better in a lot of GM's eyes.

DraftBoy
10-26-2004, 05:46 PM
What's the difference between the sorry teams in which he gained the 1400 yards and the team this year on which he will appear to be a dismal failure.

It's tough to get a second rounder for a benched RB.

He is still the starter on this team, unless some official change has been made that I am unaware of. There is no diffrence and thats exactly my point, he has proven he can get the 1400 if given the carries on a bad team. He is losing carries this year and subsequently his production has slipped. Thats my point, that he has proven his value b4 and it doesnt just go away like that

juice
10-26-2004, 06:09 PM
The most important stat GMs will look at is his contract numbers.

If anything- the less wear and tear he gets the better in a lot of GM's eyes.
Those GM's are looking to see if he can perform and stay healthy.. It's not like he hasn't been injured in the past and missed gametime.. Because of his style of running he wont bring anything higher than a 3rd rounder.

GMs dont negotiate picks looking at past stats.. for all they know he could turn out to be an Orlandis Gary, One or two years and he could be a burnout within the new system.. Not many GMs are going to take that kind of a risk with a Sub-Thousand yard rusher.

Dozerdog
10-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Those GM's are looking to see if he can perform and stay healthy.. It's not like he hasn't been injured in the past and missed gametime.. Because of his style of running he wont bring anything higher than a 3rd rounder.

GMs dont negotiate picks looking at past stats.. for all they know he could turn out to be an Orlandis Gary, One or two years and he could be a burnout within the new system.. Not many GMs are going to take that kind of a risk with a Sub-Thousand yard rusher.

What GMs are going to do is look at their cap space, look at their draft position, and look at who's out on the market in free agency.

Teams who will be looking for a RB next year are going to be Miami, maybe Dallas (if Julius Jones is a bust), possibly Tampa Bay, Arizona, maybe Chicago- and a few others. I can see the Jets here as well if Martin slows down due to injury.

Now- if you need a vet RB at a cheap price with good credentials- and you don't have the luxury of spending a season or two developing one- then Henry makes a very viable option. Get 2-3 teams interested and you might get a small bidding war.

juice
10-26-2004, 07:03 PM
What GMs are going to do is look at their cap space, look at their draft position, and look at who's out on the market in free agency.

Teams who will be looking for a RB next year are going to be Miami, maybe Dallas (if Julius Jones is a bust), possibly Tampa Bay, Arizona, maybe Chicago- and a few others. I can see the Jets here as well if Martin slows down due to injury.

Now- if you need a vet RB at a cheap price with good credentials- and you don't have the luxury of spending a season or two developing one- then Henry makes a very viable option. Get 2-3 teams interested and you might get a small bidding war.
The Cheap price will be key, would a 2nd round pick be considered cheap when you can go to the draft and get a back that has as bright a future as Henry with that #2, NC State's TA McClendon or Cadillac Williams.. and these guys have size and speed.

Henry with a 700 yard season will make him look alot like just another available Back, His size along with his style and his tendency to fumble has caused his Market Value to drop.. All Henry has is his output, if you take that away, by making Willis the starter, you are left with a 3rd round back.

Marvelous
10-26-2004, 07:12 PM
I think we atleast get a decent 2nd for TH. Miami paid a 2nd for Feeley and he accomplished nothing. There are other teams that will bite imo.
I think we could still get a first for him though because he has played good every year even played hurt. And like Dozer said GM's look at contract and Henry is as dumb as it comes when it's contract time...

GO BILLS!!!

Kenny
10-26-2004, 08:07 PM
A first? That seems pretty doubtful. Even before the season started, I think it would of been a huge stretch to even consider getting a first rounder for Henry.

Looking around the league, are there really any desperate teams that are willing to give up their coveted first round pick for Henry?
As mentioned, there's Miami (although I really think the QB is their first priority, then their OL... plus Sammy Davis has looked good the past 2 weeks). There's Tampa Bay, but you have to believe a QB is there top priority too. I doubt Arizona or Chicago is willing to give up a first when they already have backs like Shipp and Jones (who has revitalized his career this year).

So a first for Henry? Which team?

hurls
10-26-2004, 08:14 PM
A first? That seems pretty doubtful. Even before the season started, I think it would of been a huge stretch to even consider getting a first rounder for Henry.

Looking around the league, are there really any desperate teams that are willing to give up their coveted first round pick for Henry?
As mentioned, there's Miami (although I really think the QB is their first priority, then their OL... plus Sammy Davis has looked good the past 2 weeks). There's Tampa Bay, but you have to believe a QB is there top priority too. I doubt Arizona or Chicago is willing to give up a first when they already have backs like Shipp and Jones (who has revitalized his career this year).

So a first for Henry? Which team?

I don't see it. It's gotta be a team in decline, or rebuilding with another RB drafted this year behind him. If anyone needed him, we would have heard some decent offers before the deadline, even though he was hurt. He's a lame duck now, unfortunately. There's no way Mularkey can be confident playing him over #21. As a Cowboy fan also, if JJ doesn't work out, I'd take Henry, given there's an ample replacement. I'd take Henry over Eddie George at this point.

Turf
10-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Third rounder at this point, 2nd rounder tops.
I still think the Bills need another back. No one knows what Willis's knee can handle.
Regardless, Travis THIS YEAR runs in a straight line into a pile and falls down. And slips, trips.......I still think something's up with this guy. Not many players in their prime get dumber the next year.

juice
10-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Third rounder at this point, 2nd rounder tops.
I still think the Bills need another back. No one knows what Willis's knee can handle.
Regardless, Travis THIS YEAR runs in a straight line into a pile and falls down. And slips, trips.......I still think something's up with this guy. Not many players in their prime get dumber the next year.
Really, I think Travis may be into Fat Tony for a quarter Million or something. I like Henry but every year he starts the year Averaging 2 ypc, by the time he gets rolling we've already dug ourselves a hole.

We needed a few of those close games.. and a hundred yard performance in the Jets or Jags game might have been the difference in a Win and a Loss.

The Banned Tatonka
10-26-2004, 11:57 PM
i think it is really a case of henry just not responding well to competition from willis..

he probably feels dejected because he sees that willis is a better back.. and knows his days are numbered.. he has since willis was drafted. that has to catch up to you mentally at some point and take a toll.

juice
10-27-2004, 12:07 AM
i think it is really a case of henry just not responding well to competition from willis..

he probably feels dejected because he sees that willis is a better back.. and knows his days are numbered.. he has since willis was drafted. that has to catch up to you mentally at some point and take a toll.
TD handled that situation wrong from day 1.. They should've at least given Travis the Heads up on the Willis draft choice.

Now by starting Willis they might be losing all market value for Travis, as well as limiting Henry's contract negotiation leverage with other teams that might be interested.. Just because we have pimped him for the last few years doesn't mean he isn't looking for a more lucrative deal if we part ways with him.