PDA

View Full Version : OK, Dallas will most likely get a top 3 pick from us...

ArcticWildMan
10-27-2004, 12:27 AM
What is the damage done by this? Does this draft have any guaranteed superstars in the top 5 spots? I've read where some folks have said this is a weak draft.

I would hate for the next Bruce Smith to be in this draft and we passed up a chance at him.

What are the prospects for the 2005 draft?

juice
10-27-2004, 12:31 AM
What is the damage done by this? Does this draft have any guaranteed superstars in the top 5 spots? I've read where some folks have said this is a weak draft.

I would hate for the next Bruce Smith to be in this draft and we passed up a chance at him.

I could deal with not having that pick alot better if Losman turns out to be the next Brett Favre throwing to Evans, the next Marvin Harrison.

Icer
10-27-2004, 12:50 AM
QB wise, Rodgers is probably the best QB prospect

OL, Alex Barron is probably the best Tackle prospect

CB, Antrel Rolle has great play making ability, although his 40 time leaves a little to be desired

LB, Derrick Johnson is a beast

WR, Mike Williams

Those are a few of the cant-miss prospects

Kenny
10-27-2004, 12:51 AM
It's hard to say, but here's some of the better players that might go top10:
WR Mike Williams
CB Antrel Rolle
QB Aaron Rodgers
LB Derrick Johnson (I actually think he was better than both Williams and Vilma)
RB Carnel 'Cadillac' Williams

There's also DE Pollack, and RB Cedric Benson, QB Kyle Orton, QB Matt Leinhart

ArcticWildMan
10-27-2004, 12:54 AM
QB wise, Rodgers is probably the best QB prospect

OL, Alex Barron is probably the best Tackle prospect

CB, Antrel Rolle has great play making ability, although his 40 time leaves a little to be desired

LB, Derrick Johnson is a beast

WR, Mike Williams

Those are a few of the cant-miss prospects

Mike Williams would have most likely been our pick if was ruled eligible for the 2004 draft.

Can't really see us going WR again however, so he wouldn't be an option.

How does Rodgers stack up against Losman? Haven't heard much about him (nor have I been listening, to be honest).

Any stud safeties this year that would have been a top 5ish pick?

That is our biggest weakness we need to address.

Mr. Cynical
10-27-2004, 03:31 AM
Our biggest weakness is the oline. We need to use our first 2 picks on a C and LT imo, unless there is some kind of FA move beforehand. I don't want to see JP have to run for his life every snap.

Jayhawk
10-27-2004, 07:01 AM
or have to hold on to the ball

Patrick76777
10-27-2004, 07:09 AM

Let’s hold up on the top 3 talk, As of right now 13 teams have 1 or 2 wins! That’s almost half the league! Not to mention 5 more teams have 3 wins (including Houston and Cleveland who are capable of meltdowns)

Jayhawk
10-27-2004, 07:11 AM
yeah but our oline and our qb aint exactly helping the cause.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-27-2004, 08:27 AM
The Bills will have to take a tackle, since J. Jennings will most likely be gone. So I like the prospects:

J. Brown, Oklahoma
Mike Munoz, Tennesee
Andrew Withworth, LSU (junior)
Alex Barron, Florida St.
There is another guy from Alabama that is great but his name slips my mind right now.

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 09:22 AM
this is your list of top guys on the oline available in the draft at this point... there are sure to be some guys missing..

and dont forget.. even the best of the best at the center position typicaly dont go until very late 1st round, to mid 2nd round.. just the way it is.. centers are not considered that big a catch for the oline (although i disagree competely)... so all these centers are within our reach right now.. also, some of the guards have center experience and vice versa.

Centers
Matt Brock Oregon St. 6-2 301 Sr
Jason Brown North Carolina 6-3 318 Sr
Vince Carter Oklahoma 6-3 289 Sr
Jason Glynn Texas 6-2 275 Sr
Ben Wilkerson LSU 6-4 300 Sr

Guards

David Baas Michigan 6-5 314 Sr
C.J. Brooks Maryland 6-6 316 Sr
Elton Brown Virginia 6-6 333 Sr
Chris Myers Miami (Fla.) 6-5 283 Sr
Claude Terrell New Mexico 6-3 330 Sr

Tackles
Alex Barron Florida St. 6-6 316 Sr
Wesley Britt Alabama 6-8 315 Sr
Jammal Brown Oklahoma 6-6 313 Sr
Nick Kaczur Toledo 6-5 320 Sr
Michael Munoz Tennessee 6-6 305 Sr

as far as other guys off the top of my head.. the best wr in college football right now is (in my humble opinion) braylon edwards of michigan... mike williams is a close second, mainly because he is not playing, so who knows how he will come back.

there are tons of good rbs..

- Cedric Benson (overrated, plays big against the little guys, but not soo good against the tough competition),
- Cadillac Williams (beast from auburn and best rb in this class, would have been a high first rounder last year),
- TA Mclendon (big bruiser from NC State, same mould as bettis, but gets dinged up alot),
- Darren Sproles (small back from Kstate, with incredible skills.. will fall because of his size of 5-7 and 170, but i would love to have this guy backing up mcgahee when henry gets traded... he is going to be a good back, but will probably end up like a kevin faulk type guy)
- Maurice Clarett - dont forget about him.
- Marion Barber - i love this kid from Minnesota.. he splits time there because they have two incredible rbs.. but he is awesome..

TONS of good rbs.. imho.

TEs -
heath miller is in a class of his own.. virginia TE.. shockey-esque
kevin everett is slightly behind him.. another Miami TE.. they are all good.

QBs - personally.. i dont think that any of the qbs represent a much bigger upgrade over what Losman provides.. Losmans knock was his attitude.. and he has obviously been the good little soldier since he got here. Losman has all the intangibles... there is no one in this draft class that has a much stronger arm (down the field or able to make all the throws) or is much more mobile.. and imho, Losman is still the best COMBINATION of those two things.. plus, he will already have his rookie year out of the way and be ready to play next year, no question.

but Rodgers and Orton are the best. I personally would take Orton.. i just like the guy, and he has improved tremendously over his time in school. 22 tds and 3 ints this year. he doesnt turn the ball over.. gotta like that, and he is not surrounded with as much talent as Rodgers is.. but both are good. Rodgers is a Jr.

There is also Leinart (usc, JR), David Greene (georgia, SR, OVERATED) and Walters (arizona st., SR), Orlovsky (UConn, sr, i like him alot).

I am not going to go over the DTs - there are a good amount of solid prospects, but hopefully we resign pat willams.. and with anderson, edwards, and bannan.. we have 5 that are more than enough.

i am not going to go over DEs either.. i dont see any way that they spend another high draft pick with 3 second round picks on the roster... schobel just resigned.. they are not dumping first round money into that spot.. and kelsay has been solid this year.. and actually, so has denny.. hopefully we see ritzman some before years end.

Linebackers are another spot that i think we have plenty of talent with crowell and stamer backing up the big three.. no need to list those..

FREE SAFETY! -
- Thomas Davis is a junior at Georgia, but my favorite prospect.. it is tough to tell where he is going to go.. depends obviously on his stats by years end.. but he is within our reach.. i think he will come out.
- Josh Bullocks is another JR that i think will come out.. i like this kid alot too.. Nebraska guy
- James Butler is georgia tech.. you can see him play on thursday night against my boys VA tech. he is big, 6-3, 210.. good prospect.. senior.. but i have a bad taste in my mouth with georgia tech safeties after the tavaris tillman pick.
- Jim Leonhard is a wisconsin safety that is small, and will probably be moved to CB... much like terrance mcgee.

Earthquake Enyart
10-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Orton is a taller Drew Brees. I'm not sure he has the gun.

Maybe we can draft a tackle and make him a center. :huh:

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Orton is a taller Drew Brees. I'm not sure he has the gun.

Maybe we can draft a tackle and make him a center. :huh:

more so that breese.. think rivers.

and this ought to make people happy.. found this..

(1:00 PM): 2005 selection order note... As several readers have correctly noted, Dallas would actually have the 4th pick overall (BUFFALO) if the 2005 draft were held today; the Cowboys, of course, acquired Buffalo's #1 pick at the upcoming draft as part of a 2004 draft day deal. In fact, in addition to the 4th pick overall, the Cowboys would also have the 12th pick if the 2005 draft were held today.

Patrick76777
10-27-2004, 09:36 AM
more so that breese.. think rivers.

and this ought to make people happy.. found this..

(1:00 PM): 2005 selection order note... As several readers have correctly noted, Dallas would actually have the 4th pick overall (BUFFALO) if the 2005 draft were held today; the Cowboys, of course, acquired Buffalo's #1 pick at the upcoming draft as part of a 2004 draft day deal. In fact, in addition to the 4th pick overall, the Cowboys would also have the 12th pick if the 2005 draft were held today.

That Cowboy team is AWFUL! Thier pick will be much higher than 12, They Boys should have 2 in the top 10 if not Top 7!

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Uh oh, here we go again with another QB you like and I don't like. Orton is not all that. Leinart said that he will most likely stay for another year.

Earthquake Enyart
10-27-2004, 09:37 AM
That Cowboy team is AWFUL! Thier pick will be much higher than 12, They Boys should have 2 in the top 10 if not Top 7!
They have meltdown written all over them. Plus in a couple of games, it'll be Drew Henson time :eek:

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 09:38 AM
that is just right now.. right now.. we gave them the 4th pick.. and the 12th is their own. i am sure both will go up as the season goes on, as miami will finish with a better record than us, but probably not chicago.

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 09:40 AM
by the way.. for those who really want a DE.. it looks like James, Pollack, Spears, and Tuck.. the easy consensus for top 4, will all be gone in the first round.. that is almost a definate by draft time.

Earthquake Enyart
10-27-2004, 09:41 AM
Unless the Bears come up with a QB, they won't win another game.

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Uh oh, here we go again with another QB you like and I don't like. Orton is not all that. Leinart said that he will most likely stay for another year.

i am not ga-ga over orton at all.. but if i had to pick one of those in that group, that is who i think would not go the highest but would represent the best pick.. i dont ever think it is wise to spend a super high pick on a qb.. they always end up being joey harringtons.. you think we are pissed about mike williams.. can you imagine if we dumped that pick on harrington? paying that monster salary? he sucks bad. and palmer doesnt look like he is all that and a bag of chips either..

leinart would probably go top 5 if he comes out.. that is why i am not taking his "i'm staying" comments to heart.. he may win a championship this year and find out that he will be the number 1 or 2 pick and say screw it.. wouldnt be the first time.

Patrick76777
10-27-2004, 09:51 AM
that is just right now.. right now.. we gave them the 4th pick.. and the 12th is their own. i am sure both will go up as the season goes on, as miami will finish with a better record than us, but probably not chicago.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=796522
No, I figured that out. Which was my point, it'll change a lot. EE is right, Chicago is terrible. I wouldn't get so high on Miami just because they beat a gutless St. Louis team. The Bills will win 5 or 6 games easy this year. We're bad, but we haven't been blown out once! Every game was in question late into the 4th quater! As long as our D doesn't give up like they did in the last 2 games of last year we should have no problem getting to 5 or 6 wins!

Earthquake Enyart
10-27-2004, 09:55 AM
The shame of it is that the Bears would have beaten Washington and TB with Grossman. Those two aren't very good either.

The Bears went out of their way to make sure there was no QB controversy for Grossman. Well, they have no backup either. Hell, people were surprised that Krenzel was drafted at all.

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 10:00 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=796522
No, I figured that out. Which was my point, it'll change a lot. EE is right, Chicago is terrible. I wouldn't get so high on Miami just because they beat a gutless St. Louis team. The Bills will win 5 or 6 games easy this year. We're bad, but we haven't been blown out once! Every game was in question late into the 4th quater! As long as our D doesn't give up like they did in the last 2 games of last year we should have no problem getting to 5 or 6 wins!

that is your opinion.. personally.. our defense isnt quite good enough to actually win games for us.. and our offense is so bad that it can easily lose games for us..

our defense keeps us in the game so that we can be more disappointed whent he offense and drew bledsoe blow it horribly in the 3rd and 4th quarters..

this team shouldnt win more than 3 games tops with bledsoe back there..

Dozerdog
10-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Mike Williams would have most likely been our pick if was ruled eligible for the 2004 draft.

He would not have been on the boards. Jacksonville would have grabbed him in an instant. We would have had a choice between Reggie Williams and Evans- and probably would still have taken Evans

justasportsfan
10-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Anyone w/ a blown knee that TD might be interested in?

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 10:06 AM
maybe frank gore will be available for us.. the rb from miami.. he actually has had more knee work than mcgahee.

Earthquake Enyart
10-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Anyone w/ a blown knee that TD might be interested in?
Erasmus James. :grin:

They've been very quiet in Madison regarding his injury. He didn't play last week against Northwestern.

Patrick76777
10-27-2004, 10:11 AM
that is your opinion.. personally.. our defense isnt quite good enough to actually win games for us.. and our offense is so bad that it can easily lose games for us..

our defense keeps us in the game so that we can be more disappointed whent he offense and drew bledsoe blow it horribly in the 3rd and 4th quarters..

this team shouldnt win more than 3 games tops with bledsoe back there..

Disagree 1000% You can't blame the D because Jacksonville went from 6 to 13 points on the last play of the game. Fact of the matter is, if you're only allowing 13 points a game you should win every time!

Are you going to blame the D for giving up that FG against the Jets? maybe if our O didn't sit on it's ass for the first 50 minutes of the game it wouldn't have mattered.

The D has allowed
1 - 13 points
2 - 13
3 - 24
4 - 16
5 - 13
6 - 13

With an O that can score 2 TD's a game, we could be 4-2! Now I know with the flow of games, things change but don't tell me that the Raiders were so content with that big 13-3 lead that they called off the dogs!

LtBillsFan66
10-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Good points Pat. The O is putrid. There were even given some golden opportunities.

Patrick76777
10-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Disagree 1000% You can't blame the D because Jacksonville went from 6 to 13 points on the last play of the game. Fact of the matter is, if you're only allowing 13 points a game you should win every time!

Are you going to blame the D for giving up that FG against the Jets? maybe if our O didn't sit on it's ass for the first 50 minutes of the game it wouldn't have mattered.

The D has allowed
1 - 13 points
2 - 13
3 - 24
4 - 16
5 - 13
6 - 13

With an O that can score 2 TD's a game, we could be 4-2! Now I know with the flow of games, things change but don't tell me that the Raiders were so content with that big 13-3 lead that they called off the dogs!

The problem is that our D is deceiving.

Bend but don’t break, you watch the game and think, “damn these guys are moving all over the field on us, No way we win this thing” But at the end of the game, the Scoreboard says 13 points!

Patrick76777
10-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Good points Pat. The O is putrid. There were even given some golden opportunities.

Jacksonville should have been lining up for an onside kick at the end of that game! That last touchdown should have meant nothing. And it took a couple of fluke plays to get the job done!

Earthquake Enyart
10-27-2004, 10:16 AM
The problem is that our D is deceiving.

Bend but don’t break, you watch the game and think, “damn these guys are moving all over the field on us, No way we win this thing” But at the end of the game, the Scoreboard says 13 points!
Quit quoting yourself. :mad:

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 11:08 AM
pat.. the defense could have stolen 2 games.. by just stopping the opposing team on one drive.. but in cruch time.. they gave up points and we lost..

like i said.. they are good but just not good enough.

and offense is horrible.. no question that 13 points a game allowed should win you tons of games.. but regardless.. i do blame the d for giving up that last minute crap.. it was the final straw that broke our backs in those games.

SABURZFAN
10-27-2004, 11:24 AM

Can't really see us going WR again however, so he wouldn't be an option.

NO?????that seems to be what donna ho has drafted the last couple years.he sure as hell wouldn't consider a TEAM NEED first,so an OL would be out of the question. :rolleyes:

Patrick76777
10-27-2004, 11:39 AM
pat.. the defense could have stolen 2 games.. by just stopping the opposing team on one drive.. but in cruch time.. they gave up points and we lost..

like i said.. they are good but just not good enough.

and offense is horrible.. no question that 13 points a game allowed should win you tons of games.. but regardless.. i do blame the d for giving up that last minute crap.. it was the final straw that broke our backs in those games.

We'll have to agree to disagree. In my mind, in the NFL, if you hold a team to 6 points thru 59+ minutes of play, it shouldn't come down to you making a stop!

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 11:49 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree. In my mind, in the NFL, if you hold a team to 6 points thru 59+ minutes of play, it shouldn't come down to you making a stop!

well.. i guess look at it this way..

if the score was 28 to 27 and the defense stopped them on the final drive and prevented a fieldgoal.. i would give the defense credit for that too.. because they may have given up 27, but they stopped them when we needed it.

stopping a team at crucial times is more important to me than what the final score is.

but your right.. with the amount of points they have allowed.. we should be 4-2 probably.

Patrick76777
10-27-2004, 11:53 AM

if the score was 28 to 27 and the defense stopped them on the final drive and prevented a fieldgoal.. i would give the defense credit for that too.. because they may have given up 27, but they stopped them when we needed it.

stopping a team at crucial times is more important to me than what the final score is.

but your right.. with the amount of points they have allowed.. we should be 4-2 probably.

If we were losing games 28-27, I'd be *****ing that our D wasn't good enough, but I see your point!

I guess what we're saying is that if the D were cluctch, we'd win more, But they can't be blamed for being 1-5!

I would bet that KC would kill for our D!

DraftBoy
10-27-2004, 12:02 PM
The QB class this year is a joke especially if Leinhart comes out, I dont think he will be a top 5 pick, hell personally I dont like him at all and wouldnt even consider taking him. He's a product of the system in my opinion. Rodgers is alot like Losman with less athletic ability. Only QB Id consider over Losman would be Brad Smith from Mizzou and he prolly wont come out.

justasportsfan
10-27-2004, 12:11 PM

this D lacks killer instincts. It doesn't make a big play during crunch time. Kinda like the Dolphins D.

Ickybaluky
10-27-2004, 12:26 PM
If we were losing games 28-27, I'd be *****ing that our D wasn't good enough, but I see your point!

I guess what we're saying is that if the D were cluctch, we'd win more, But they can't be blamed for being 1-5!

The biggest indictment of the Buffalo defense is that they are not forcing turnovers. Right now, they have only forced 7 turnovers, which is in the bottom 3rd of the NFL. Granted, that is a better pace than last year, but still not up to the pace set by the better defenses in the NFL.

Buffalo has a real good defense that has not given up a lot of points, but they also haven't made a lot of momentum-changing plays.

Kenny
10-27-2004, 12:49 PM

Getting back to the JAX game, I dont put all the blame on the D, but they do deserve to take quite a bit.

So what if they only gave up 13pts? When called upon, they couldnt stop anything. Werent there something like 3 or 4 4th down conversions during that last play? And one of them was like 4th and 16?

Our defense is only good enough to keep us in games, but no where good enough to win us any. And lately, it hasnt looked very good.

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Getting back to the JAX game, I dont put all the blame on the D, but they do deserve to take quite a bit.

So what if they only gave up 13pts? When called upon, they couldnt stop anything. Werent there something like 3 or 4 4th down conversions during that last play? And one of them was like 4th and 16?

Our defense is only good enough to keep us in games, but no where good enough to win us any. And lately, it hasnt looked very good.

i thought one was like 4th and forever when they got that long bomb to jimmy smith..

madness
10-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Didn't we blow that game because Gray decided that going into a prevent defense is a good way to hold a lead? From what I recall, our aggressive defense became "aggressively" passive.

Charlieguide
10-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Yeah, our team sucks bad. We'll probably end up giving Dallas a top-five pick.

Speaking of that (like how I pulled that tangent back by creating another tangent? :D), has anyone considered the possibility we get that pick back? It's well within reason that they decide to trade one of those picks for a proven player. Dallas desperately needs a RB, and we have two solid starters. :idunno:

Also, I'm not too down on them getting our pick. They aren't even in the same conference. Someone put it well, when they said that if you look at the trade as the Bills giving the Cowboys their '04 2nd rounder to spend next year's first rounder this year, it looks pretty good.

Kenny
10-27-2004, 02:03 PM
i thought one was like 4th and forever when they got that long bomb to jimmy smith..
yep... and it all happened because Clements when for the INT instead of knocking the ball down.