PDA

View Full Version : 313

ticatfan
10-27-2004, 03:25 PM
yards that anthony callvilo ,QB of the montreal allouettes to break 6000 this season (1 game left) ,he will join doug flutie,kent austin and dave archer. Has any one ever thrown for over 6000 yrds in a NFL season?

THATHURMANATOR
10-27-2004, 03:29 PM
No we actually run the ball once in awhile here.

Tatonka
10-27-2004, 03:38 PM
the record is 5k by dan the man.

Dozerdog
10-27-2004, 04:40 PM
5083 in a 16 game season

CFL plays 18, correct?

Throne Logic
10-27-2004, 04:45 PM
5083 in a 16 game season

CFL plays 18, correct?

Plus they've got a whole lot more room to work with in the passing game, including that 20 yard deep Zone.

Kenny
10-27-2004, 04:47 PM
No we actually run the ball once in awhile here.
and we actually have defenses in the NFL too.

A bit off topic, but now that NFL Europe is down the drain, I always liked the idea of turning the cfl into a NFL developmental league.

ticatfan
10-28-2004, 08:33 AM
I think archer and austin did it when we had a 16 game season. Plus we have 20 second huddles not 40 or 45 so we also get alot more plays off during a game.

DraftBoy
10-28-2004, 09:25 AM
fields are alot wider, talent level on D's is really really subpar, and most undrafted college studs go there ie Josh Hamilton, Doug Flutie, and Brad Banks, I love the idea of making it a developmental league but alot of money would need to be put into it. The current salary is 2-7k a game, and alot of rookies you draft and players would want more than that, plus you'll be asking the CFL to run at a diffrent time unless you want it to run concurrently with the NFL kinda like the MLB. I love the idea personally think it would be great for both leagues, but speaking to Canadiens I know they hate the idea. Ticat what do you think?

generalmills
10-28-2004, 12:06 PM
I think he has a chance to do it tonight too.... The argo's are going to rest almost all starters in order to stay fit for the big semi-final against the cats next friday. The Al's have a week off after this game and want to get back on track with a win tonight after 3 straight losses... Should be interesting to see if he can do it... (he has some great wide-outs including former Bill Kwame Cavil)
btw..is anyone planning to go to the game next friday?

ticatfan
10-28-2004, 02:29 PM
fields are alot wider, talent level on D's is really really subpar, and most undrafted college studs go there ie Josh Hamilton, Doug Flutie, and Brad Banks, I love the idea of making it a developmental league but alot of money would need to be put into it. The current salary is 2-7k a game, and alot of rookies you draft and players would want more than that, plus you'll be asking the CFL to run at a diffrent time unless you want it to run concurrently with the NFL kinda like the MLB. I love the idea personally think it would be great for both leagues, but speaking to Canadiens I know they hate the idea. Ticat what do you think?D's are not subpar,you don't understand the league to say that,bigger field means smaller players, we don't have 400 lbs people out there, they would not survive the big field.And I don't really care about becoming a training ground for the nfl,we lose enough players to you as is. People seem to forget the 2 games are very different, to become a full development league for the nfl, we would have to change rules so the players can learn how to play american ball. The CFL has turned the corner, so we really don't need to become that to survive,which we have for 100 years.

ticatfan
10-28-2004, 02:31 PM
No we actually run the ball once in awhile here.LOL We do to, mike pringle just broke geo reed's all time rushing record of 16116 yrds,what is the NFL record?

Crisis
10-28-2004, 02:34 PM
LOL We do to, mike pringle just broke geo reed's all time rushing record of 16116 yrds,what is the NFL record?

16,000!!!!

Crisis
10-28-2004, 02:37 PM
16k divided by the 18 games is 889 rushing yards a game by him.

Damn! Didn't realize the CFL was so offensive-orientated.

justasportsfan
10-28-2004, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a look. our best qb since Kelly was a CFL HOFmer who was nothing but a good career NFL back-up and was a good back-up too. Besides, I'm not sold on Mathews being our back-up qb behind Losman. Remember, JP still doesn't know how to avoid an NFL hit.

DraftBoy
10-28-2004, 03:20 PM
D's are not subpar,you don't understand the league to say that,bigger field means smaller players, we don't have 400 lbs people out there, they would not survive the big field.And I don't really care about becoming a training ground for the nfl,we lose enough players to you as is. People seem to forget the 2 games are very different, to become a full development league for the nfl, we would have to change rules so the players can learn how to play american ball. The CFL has turned the corner, so we really don't need to become that to survive,which we have for 100 years.

I watched the CFL for years and still do when I can, the D's are far subpar to that of the NFL's. I dont think the rules would need to be altered all that much really. Hell getting them out there to play and practice instead of riding the pine is a better situation. Atleast imo it is.

ticatfan
10-28-2004, 04:10 PM
There was a deal in place where the NFL can take one of our players , who is in his option year.But that was when we owed the NFL 3 million bucks,but we payed that off,so I don't know if that deal is still in place. Then in the case of ricky ray,he will sit on the jets bench for a year or too,make some better money then come back north and play. What was the problem with banks,he won the hiesman did'nt he? He got his 1st start last week and look good,did'nt win but still looked good, so is he to short?

Kenny
10-28-2004, 05:08 PM
I watched the CFL for years and still do when I can, the D's are far subpar to that of the NFL's. I dont think the rules would need to be altered all that much really. Hell getting them out there to play and practice instead of riding the pine is a better situation. Atleast imo it is.
Agreed. I live in Toronto, so I see my fair share of cfl games. It's okay I guess (I mean it's much better than NFL Europe or Arena Football is/was), but it's nohwere near the enjoyment/skill level/atmosphere/(everything that's football) that the NFL or for that matter college ball is (after the LA expansion... come to TORONTO!!!!).

And yes, the defense is subpar to the NFL's, but you have to remember, all the talent in the cfl is subpar also.

And in response to the difficulty of changing the game to 'american' football, would it really be that hard? I mean, arent the majority of the players in the cfl from US colleges anyways?

ticatfan
10-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Agreed. I live in Toronto, so I see my fair share of cfl games. It's okay I guess (I mean it's much better than NFL Europe or Arena Football is/was), but it's nohwere near the enjoyment/skill level/atmosphere/(everything that's football) that the NFL or for that matter college ball is (after the LA expansion... come to TORONTO!!!!).

And yes, the defense is subpar to the NFL's, but you have to remember, all the talent in the cfl is subpar also.

And in response to the difficulty of changing the game to 'american' football, would it really be that hard? I mean, arent the majority of the players in the cfl from US colleges anyways?Ever been to a cfl game , beside toronto? That and BC place have no atmosphere,that is why the argos is getting out of the sky dome,go to montreal and say that,you would be laughed right out of town.lol And it is a harder gme to play on the big field than the little one down there. And a fast paced game,that does not have soooo many play stopages like in the nfl is boring, running the ball all the time is exciting. 1/2 day to get a 1st down, fair catches, 45 second huddles and my favourite 2 minutes left , winning team gets a 1st down, game over, ya thats is exciting. I love watching the NFL my self , but come on now , take away the hype and all you have left is slow moving game. Which shows the difference of the 2 games, defence and offence.

ticatfan
10-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Callivilo threw for 354 yrds to finish with 6054. Flutie has the record with 6619 in '91.

Kenny
10-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Ever been to a cfl game , beside toronto? That and BC place have no atmosphere,that is why the argos is getting out of the sky dome,go to montreal and say that,you would be laughed right out of town.lol And it is a harder gme to play on the big field than the little one down there. And a fast paced game,that does not have soooo many play stopages like in the nfl is boring, running the ball all the time is exciting. 1/2 day to get a 1st down, fair catches, 45 second huddles and my favourite 2 minutes left , winning team gets a 1st down, game over, ya thats is exciting. I love watching the NFL my self , but come on now , take away the hype and all you have left is slow moving game. Which shows the difference of the 2 games, defence and offence.
How is it harder to play on the bigger field? Is it because of the endzones that are the size of parking lots?

It might be fast paced, but that's because there's no defense (kind of like watching little kids play). That, and Im not sure if it's just my eyes, but these guys arent very big?
I remember seeing a game, and looking at some of the linebackers... They were the size of DBs!!!
Compared to the NFL, the cfl just isnt exciting. I just cant stand watching subpar players play the game, knowing that there are superior players playing in college and in the NFL. I mean, you cant even compare the big hits, the beautiful blocks, the hard runs, and the suspense of those last 2 minute drives.

generalmills
10-29-2004, 03:54 PM
anyone else going to the semi final next friday?? if so where you sitting? would not mind seeing some friendly faces...even if they are part of ti-cat nation!!

Go Boatmen!!!!

ticatfan
10-29-2004, 04:11 PM
How is it harder to play on the bigger field? Is it because of the endzones that are the size of parking lots?

It might be fast paced, but that's because there's no defense (kind of like watching little kids play). That, and Im not sure if it's just my eyes, but these guys arent very big?
I remember seeing a game, and looking at some of the linebackers... They were the size of DBs!!!
Compared to the NFL, the cfl just isnt exciting. I just cant stand watching subpar players play the game, knowing that there are superior players playing in college and in the NFL. I mean, you cant even compare the big hits, the beautiful blocks, the hard runs, and the suspense of those last 2 minute drives.No big hits, no hards runs in the CFL give a break. And what last 2 minutes, in the nfl the winning team gets a 1st down with 2 minutes left and game over, great suspence there chum , but I see you are from TO so that explains alot. And every college player goes to the nfl,shake your head. Alot go to the cfl and the rest go home,and if you think a college team is going to beat a cfl team,shake your head one more time. One more thing the hiesman trophy for the best college player, well most of them end up here.

SABURZFAN
10-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Callivilo threw for 354 yrds to finish with 6054. Flutie has the record with 6619 in '91.

they were really overworking the runt,weren't they?

Kenny
10-29-2004, 06:56 PM
No big hits, no hards runs in the CFL give a break. And what last 2 minutes, in the nfl the winning team gets a 1st down with 2 minutes left and game over, great suspence there chum , but I see you are from TO so that explains alot. And every college player goes to the nfl,shake your head. Alot go to the cfl and the rest go home,and if you think a college team is going to beat a cfl team,shake your head one more time. One more thing the hiesman trophy for the best college player, well most of them end up here.The great suspense is tyring to come back. Take for example the Bills/Jax game. If you were a JAX fan, I bet that was a great game for you. Needing a touchdown to win the game, going through 3 or 4 fourthdown conversions, and then winning the game with no time left.

But I guess you're right... that's not exciting at all. There's no suspense in that.

And I never said all the college players go to the NFL... only the good ones. The one's that go the cfl are the one's that cant cut it in the NFL.

And that goes the same for the Heisman trophy winner. Sure alot may end up in the cfl... but that's only because they arent good enough to play in the NFL.
Oh yeah... Jason White won it last year (over Fitz who should of won it), and I guess by your opinion he's the best in college? LOL
Hey, because he's so good (I mean he's a heisman trophy winner after all), have fun seeing Jason White in the cfl.

BTW, wtf are you trying to imply in your post? That the talent level in the cfl is on par with the NFL? I suggest you 'shake your own head' buddy.