PDA

View Full Version : Drew Fights Back!

Earthquake Enyart
10-28-2004, 08:44 AM
There's a lot of truth to what he says. :couch:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041028/1065499.asp

"I will tell you that in looking at my own play, here is the situation, being completely honest with you," Bledsoe said. "I am the quarterback of a team that's a power-running team. Yet we have not run for a touchdown through six games.

"I'm in a situation where we've made a great emphasis to get back and get the ball off more quickly, yet I've still been hit as much as anybody in the league.

"Going back and looking at it, I've got seven interceptions for the year. Five of those were tipped balls - one of them on a Hail Mary and one on a poor officiating call.

"Going forward from here, I'm trying to do everything I can. To this point, based on what I've been given, in some instances I feel like I've done what I can."

Bledsoe is 22nd in passing efficiency, with a rating of 73.6. He has six touchdown throws to go with his seven interceptions.

Bledsoe rarely offers excuses in assessing the team week after week. However, with criticism of him mounting with each Bills loss, it was clear he was determined to more strongly defend himself.

"To have basically two interceptions for the year that are basically my fault while I'm still taking some shots, it is what it is," Bledsoe said. "I'm certainly not asking for a free pass or anybody's sympathy. I live a blessed life. But at the same time, when I look at it, I also have to be honest with myself and say, "Hey listen, in this last game did I do everything that I could?' No. I certainly didn't. Has that been the case all year? No, it hasn't.

Jayhawk
10-28-2004, 08:48 AM
ah so he's using the "offical sucks" excuse

Buckets
10-28-2004, 08:50 AM
I noticed he didn't mention any of the bad passes he threw that wern't intercepted.

TedMock
10-28-2004, 08:58 AM
It's about time. I like the guy, but my biggest complaint has been that he's too nice. He's the QB, he makes his share of mistakes, but we all know that he shoulders the blame for the rest them too. He needs to hold the others accountable, and he needs to do it loudly. I'm not giving him a free pass on his mistakes (lord knows they're plentiful), but I'd like to know more how the others have screwed up. Not the obvious stuff, but the stuff that we as fans can't possibly know just from watching the game. Did the guard pull the wrong way? Did the RB block to the wrong side? Did the TE run a route instead of blocking down? Things that big Jim used to call these guys out on.

justasportsfan
10-28-2004, 09:01 AM
"Hey listen, in this last game did I do everything that I could?' No. I certainly didn't. Has that been the case all year? No, it hasn't.that scares me. The minute he tries to do everything he can do, he usually screws up. We need him to be Dilfer like. Just like the first 5 games.

The thing is and I agree w/ him, if we had a running game like we did against Miami, we would've won more games.

superbills
10-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Look. While Drew deserves the criticism that he gets for some of the bad play that we've seen, he's certainly not the main problem and people need to realize that even JP would be in trouble behind our sorry excuse for an O-line. I want to see JP in there as much as the next guy, but I'm afraid of putting him in there too soon to get the tar beat out of him from blind-side rushes. There is nobody on our line that I would trust with protecting my QB. That's pretty sad. Usually, even the worst lines in the league have one or two guys that you can say will hold their own during the course of a game and be someone you can run behind, or roll out toward to buy some time. We have turnstiles at every position, no one is exempt from that moniker. While Drew creates many of his own problems by holding on to the ball and not being able to throw short passes accurately, the line and the poor play of the receivers has to be factored in. It's actually refreshing to hear someone on the team talk about a collective failure on offense, rather than deliver the same old "We're working hard, getting better...blah blah.." crap we hear all the time.

justasportsfan
10-28-2004, 09:02 AM
It's about time. I like the guy, but my biggest complaint has been that he's too nice. So is the coach :nervous:

The King
10-28-2004, 09:09 AM
The first time in his career i have seen him defend himself like that.

Jan Reimers
10-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Drew makes a lot of sense. While he certainly is part of the problem, anyone who thinks that we will improve dramatically when he finally sits down is delusional.

Our much ballyhooed power running game is something like 28th in rushing, without one single touchdown. Our O line can neither run block nor pass block. We commit enough stupid penalties to make the Pope curse. The team utterly fails to execute at the most critical moments.

And the coaching is mediocre at best.

I can't wait to see Losman at QB, just like most of the rest of you. But I don't think the reincarnation of Johnny Unitas, or Joe Montana in his prime, could help this particular team very much. There is an awfully lot to fix before we will be respectable again.

don137
10-28-2004, 09:24 AM
I only buy a very small part of what Bledsoe is saying. How many of those tipped balls were great throws? Not many. He still does hang on to the ball too long even though it is better than years past.

He is forgetting with his lack of mobility teams are just stacking the line and blitzing knowing if it is a run the box is stacked to stop it and if is a pass taems know exactly where Bledsoe will be. If Bledsoe was mobile it would open up the run because teams wouldn't stack the box and people wouldn't have to just zero in on one spot on the field to get to the quarterback.

To sum it up a pocket passer without a quick release and a knack for when to get rid of the ball is a lame duck in this league.

LtBillsFan66
10-28-2004, 09:26 AM
Good point don.

The King
10-28-2004, 09:28 AM
His key point is about the run. Teams dont fear it. So they can afford to sit back and watch the pass and taking advantage of a poor offense line when you know they are going to pass is like taking candy from a snail.

Hemlepp53
10-28-2004, 09:35 AM
The first time in his career i have seen him defend himself like that.

Agreed, But I'm glad he is doing it. I for one want to see him sit one ot to see the difference between him and Shane until JP is ready... But I'm glad the old guy has enough HEART to voice himself to the media and us questioning fans...

DraftBoy
10-28-2004, 09:35 AM
wow! this took a long time but Im glad he said it. I do have a small problem with him not saying that tipped balls are his fault bc they are to some extent. I love that he called out the playcalling stratgey maybe Sunday we will finally see 30 carries for Willis

don137
10-28-2004, 09:40 AM
His key point is about the run. Teams dont fear it. So they can afford to sit back and watch the pass and taking advantage of a poor offense line when you know they are going to pass is like taking candy from a snail.
Yes the OL is a weakness but Drew's lack of mobility, bad sense of knowing when to get rid of the ball and his inability to hold onto the ball compounds the problem. Due to all of his weaknesses it hurts the running game because defenses figure if they stack the line and it's a run they are in good position to stop it and if it is a pass we know where to go because Bledsoe has no mobility. A bad offensive line is even worse when a QB has all of Drew's weaknesses. Defenses continually expose this weakness and it doesn't take much to gameplan against the Bills offense.

lordofgun
10-28-2004, 09:42 AM
It's amazing how much better the O-line has looked in the past when Drew's not in there...especially in pass blocking. Sorry, but I don't believe it's just a coincidence.

Mr. Miyagi
10-28-2004, 09:58 AM
I AGREE WITH DREW!!! NICE TO SEE HIM TALKING TOUGH!!!!

BACK ON THE BANDWAGON I GO!!!!

Mr. Miyagi
10-28-2004, 09:59 AM
I AGREE WITH DREW!!! NICE TO SEE HIM TALKING TOUGH!!!!

BACK ON THE BANDWAGON I GO!!!!
And please excuse the yelling. :miyagi:

The King
10-28-2004, 10:02 AM
BACK ON THE BANDWAGON I GO!!!! :miyagi:

MM can i ride shotgun?

Gunzlingr
10-28-2004, 10:09 AM
This is the reason I have a hard time being down on the guy. At the same time, I agree that he isn't enough of a bad ass to get things fired up. I guess I will wear my #11 jersey until he is gone.

TedMock
10-28-2004, 10:09 AM
It's amazing how much better the O-line has looked in the past when Drew's not in there...especially in pass blocking. Sorry, but I don't believe it's just a coincidence.

Our defense made bigger plays back then too. They're good, but they don't produce turnovers and points the way some did. Even when we had Flutie back there, the offensive production wasn't very good. He scrambled around a lot and was fun to watch, but we still only averaged a little over 14 points (on offense) per game. Our defense at that time was ranked top 3 in the NFL and had more big-play ability than the current team does. The OL really should've been addressed in 1999. We've had a good 5 years of low scoring offense, except for the first half of 2002.

Mr. Miyagi
10-28-2004, 10:14 AM
This is the reason I have a hard time being down on the guy. At the same time, I agree that he isn't enough of a bad ass to get things fired up. I guess I will wear my #11 jersey until he is gone.
That's the spirit Gunz! :hi5:

lordofgun
10-28-2004, 10:20 AM
I just hope Ralph isn't buying this like some of you are. :cynic:

don137
10-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Bledsoe has the class of Steve Tasker. He is a great ambassador for the game. I wish everyone had his class but he has the pocket awareness of Rob Johnson. Bledsoe is so slow he would make Jim Kelly appear fast and look elusive. I'm sorry I just am not buying most of the stuff Bledsoe is saying.

TedMock
10-28-2004, 10:26 AM
I don't really think it's a matter of buying into anything. It's not like there's the typical athlete cliche's here. I think he's just fed up with his own play, but also with taking the blame for the mistakes of others. He's played poorly and admitted to that, but also basically said F*** this, I'm not going to sit here all year and pretend that the others aren't screwing up too. He's done that since day one, and I think it's just wearing on him. I'm glad that he actually spoke up and called everybody out, including himself. It's better than "we just have to execute better."

lordofgun
10-28-2004, 10:27 AM
Bledsoe has the class of Steve Tasker. He is a great ambassador for the game. I wish everyone had his class but he has the pocket awareness of Rob Johnson. Bledsoe is so slow he would make Jim Kelly appear fast and look elusive. I'm sorry I just am not buying most of the stuff Bledsoe is saying.
Same here. Since when is shifting blame noble?

TedMock
10-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Shifting blame is not noble. It's a terrible, cowardly thing. However, holding the people around you accountable for their performance shows leadership, and that's okay. As long as he holds himself accountable as well. I think he's done that (held himself accountable) for 3 years. I'm not cutting him any slack for what he's done, but I'm also not going to blame him for the mistakes of others.

lordofgun
10-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Shifting blame is not noble. It's a terrible, cowardly thing. However, holding the people around you accountable for their performance shows leadership, and that's okay. As long as he holds himself accountable as well. I think he's done that (held himself accountable) for 3 years. I'm not cutting him any slack for what he's done, but I'm also not going to blame him for the mistakes of others.
That sounds reasonable, Ted!

Tatonka
10-28-2004, 11:13 AM
like it has already been said..

he is trying to act like he had no part in the 5 ints that were tipped.. it is not like wrs are tipping passes that he is hitting them in the chest with..

screw drew.. this is just like rj and flutie.. when rj was in there .. the offensive line looked god aweful.. just like with drew..

when flutie was in there.. the oline wouldnt give up a single sack... just like it is going to be with JP.

drew.. your done.. get out and stop shifting blame.. take it like a man and retire.

lordofgun
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM
like it has already been said..

he is trying to act like he had no part in the 5 ints that were tipped.. it is not like wrs are tipping passes that he is hitting them in the chest with..

screw drew.. this is just like rj and flutie.. when rj was in there .. the offensive line looked god aweful.. just like with drew..

when flutie was in there.. the oline wouldnt give up a single sack... just like it is going to be with JP.

drew.. your done.. get out and stop shifting blame.. take it like a man and retire.
:bf1:

POS REP!

Tatonka
10-28-2004, 11:29 AM
:bravo:

Voltron
10-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Many seem to forget that JP is used to horrible line play. He had one of the worst starting lines in the history of College football and still won! I am not saying he will turn this season around. He has a lot to learn but the sooner we get him in there the sooner he can start to get the experience he needs to be the future QB of this team.

TedMock
10-28-2004, 12:05 PM
There is definitely something to be said about a mobile QB. I went home for lunch today and was watching a special on Newport news, VA QB's. Aaron Brooks, Michael Vick, Marcus Vick, Ronald Curry, and Allen Iverson! Supposedly A.I. was the man in High School. He and Brooks used to compete against eachother, and Brooks said A.I. is like a legend there because of his QB'ing. The next great QB battle was Vick and Curry (now a WR w/Oakland). Anyway, the highlights from H.S., college, and pros were impressive mainly because they could avoid a ridiculous rush. That always helps with a bad line, but I still say the line stinks. They may not give up as many sacks, but it's no excuse for doing a bad job.

Mr. Cynical
10-28-2004, 12:24 PM
If anyone had any doubt about his end drawing near, this latest should put that doubt to rest:

"Going back and looking at it, I've got seven interceptions for the year. Five of those were tipped balls - one of them on a Hail Mary and one on a poor officiating call.

Obviously he is even trying to convince *himself* now that he doesn't suck. I can't blame him - it has got to be hard watching your career come to an end. But as others have said, those tipped balls were the result of 100mph balls hitting them at awkward angles. And the lack of running game/sacks are a direct result of his immobility and slow release (stacking the line and blitzing up the middle evey time). Yes a better oline will help that as well, but then you are asking to have a near perfect oline. Even then I doubt it would significantly matter at this point.

juice
10-28-2004, 12:25 PM
AI and Ron Curry were probably two of the best HS multi sport athletes in Va history.. and I think Vick and Brooks are family.. What do they feed these guys up there?

FTG
10-28-2004, 12:59 PM
:rolleyes: So much for Bledsoe being a "class act" All he did in that statement was shift blame. Leaders don't do that. Certainly not in public. I can't wait until that a-hole is off this team. He set this franchise back 3 years!

juice
10-28-2004, 01:05 PM
:rolleyes: He set this franchise back 3 years!
You can blame TD for not bringing in any O-Line help.. He knew what he had at the QB position.. Instead of bringing in some talent he fielded a bunch of Practice squad players and rejects from other losing teams. :loser:

FTG
10-28-2004, 01:09 PM
You can blame TD for not bringing in any O-Line help.. He knew what he had at the QB position.. Instead of bringing in some talent he fielded a bunch of Practice squad players and rejects from other losing teams. :loser:

I blame TD for not getting rid of that idiot #11 in the offseason. We'd have to sign 5 pro-bolwers on the line to protect that statue.

justasportsfan
10-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Drew should've just gone all out and said" I need an all probowl line and a future HOF rb for me to make any sort of impact. "

FTG
10-28-2004, 01:17 PM
I wonder what Bledsoe would say if one of the linemen complained to the media about him holding the ball to long. Or the recievers complaining about him overthrowing them or not seeing them when they're open. I bet his offensive line hates blocking for him.

juice
10-28-2004, 01:18 PM
I blame TD for not getting rid of that idiot #11 in the offseason. We'd have to sign 5 pro-bolwers on the line to protect that statue.
But if he was going to go with DB why get rid of a key offensive line Vet and bring in Villariel.. He wasn't an upgrade.

No QB in the League could make a living behind this sorry excuse for a Line.. TD put together this disasterous season, Piece by piece.

justasportsfan
10-28-2004, 01:19 PM
I bet his offensive line hates blocking for him. Let it go FTG. Rob is gone. Oh wait...

FTG
10-28-2004, 01:27 PM
No QB in the League could make a living behind this sorry excuse for a Line.. TD put together this disasterous season, Piece by piece.

I'd beg to differ. When RJ was here our line looked just as bad a the current group. Then when Flutie went in suddenly they were not so bad.

Is our line good? NO! Does Drew broken clock Bledsoe make them look worse than they are? HELL YEAH!

lordofgun
10-28-2004, 01:37 PM
I'd beg to differ. When RJ was here our line looked just as bad a the current group. Then when Flutie went in suddenly they were not so bad.

Is our line good? NO! Does Drew broken clock Bledsoe make them look worse than they are? HELL YEAH!
I agree. Even AVP made the line look much better!

juice
10-28-2004, 01:42 PM

If you put Vick behind this line he would still have 20 sacks going into week 7.. and he would only average 4 YPC.

Is the lack of a Run game also a product of poor QB play.. No, but you can argue that the lack of a run game causes the passing game to be Non-existant.

You can see the quality of this line by looking at the way they struggle in both aspects of the game.

FTG
10-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Keep deflecting blame for Bledsoe :up:

juice
10-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Keep deflecting blame for Bledsoe :up:
Keep hating on the teams QB that you are supposed to be supporting.. Who do you want to start Sunday, Mathews.

What is you solution to the problem, Coach?

You play the players that you have, and as a Team Player Quitting and *****ing isn't an option.

FTG
10-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Keep hating on the teams QB that you are supposed to be supporting.. .

If you wanna keep supporting a loser be my guest. Losman can't get well fast enough for me.

juice
10-28-2004, 02:00 PM
If you wanna keep supporting a loser be my guest. Losman can't get well fast enough for me.
Loser? What team do you Really root for, the Pats?

When I played I wasn't in the habit of Quitting on teammates, and as a poster I dont see how constantly degrading the Starting QB is at all constructive.

Did you ever play a Team sport? Or was it just Golf?

FTG
10-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Loser? What team do you Really root for, the Pats?

:roflmao: Here we go again! Anyone that can see Drew Bledsoe is a washed up piece of crap is not really a Bills fan.

juice
10-28-2004, 02:09 PM
:roflmao: Here we go again! Anyone that can see Drew Bledsoe is a washed up piece of crap is not really a Bills fan.
Golf.. I figured as much. :tired:

Kenny
10-28-2004, 04:59 PM
If you put Vick behind this line he would still have 20 sacks going into week 7.. and he would only average 4 YPC.

Is the lack of a Run game also a product of poor QB play.. No, but you can argue that the lack of a run game causes the passing game to be Non-existant.

You can see the quality of this line by looking at the way they struggle in both aspects of the game.
It's a given that Vick will always get sacked alot... it comes with his style of playing. But whereas Drew makes the line worse, Vick has always made the line look better than it really is (not to mention Vick wins games, whereas Bledsoe loses us games).

And do you really think Vick would only average 4ypc? How so? Vick doesnt stay in the pocket, he rolls out, takes a look for receivers, and then takes off. No way he'd only average a measly 4ypc.

And you're absolutely right that criticizing our starting Qb isnt contructive. But so what? Bledsoe's a lost cause... he isnt going to get any better. He sucks today, and will suck tomorrow.

And just because we're fans of a TEAM doesnt mean we have to love every single one of the individuals that make up the team... especially the one's that lose us games, -unless of course, you're a :homer:

juice
10-28-2004, 05:10 PM
That being said, who gives us the best chance to win Sunday.. I'd like to get a Win.. Your trying to make a point, that has no bearing on the next Game.. He's still the starter and it looks like that for at least a Month.. The backup isn't a serious option.

That doesn't change the fact that this line is less than effective in both the run and pass game.

Kenny
10-28-2004, 05:19 PM
That being said, who gives us the best chance to win Sunday.. I'd like to get a Win.. Your trying to make a point, that has no bearing on the next Game.. He's still the starter and it looks like that for at least a Month.. The backup isn't a serious option.

That doesn't change the fact that this line is less than effective in both the run and pass game.
Actually... I agree with you. My last reply was just a response to what you said previously.
As bad as Bledsoe is, he is still a better QB than Matthews. That being said though, why not try to shake things up a bit? If Drew stinks it up in the first half, would it really hurt to put Matthews in? I mean can it really get any worse?

Mr. Cynical
10-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Is the lack of a Run game also a product of poor QB play.. No, but you can argue that the lack of a run game causes the passing game to be Non-existant.Actually, the reverse can be argued. Since Drew is a statue and also holds the ball too long, the D can stack 8 in the box at will because they know exactly where he will be and they know 9 times out of 10 they won't get burned by blitzing. Therefore the run game has a hard time because the box is always full.

SABURZFAN
10-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Look. While Drew deserves the criticism that he gets for some of the bad play that we've seen, he's certainly not the main problem and people need to realize that even JP would be in trouble behind our sorry excuse for an O-line. I want to see JP in there as much as the next guy, but I'm afraid of putting him in there too soon to get the tar beat out of him from blind-side rushes. There is nobody on our line that I would trust with protecting my QB. That's pretty sad. Usually, even the worst lines in the league have one or two guys that you can say will hold their own during the course of a game and be someone you can run behind, or roll out toward to buy some time. We have turnstiles at every position, no one is exempt from that moniker. While Drew creates many of his own problems by holding on to the ball and not being able to throw short passes accurately, the line and the poor play of the receivers has to be factored in.

great post!!!! :up:

that gets a pos rep.

i sure as hell wouldn't throw losman in there fulltime to get killed either.although,i would consider it for the last 4-5 games if he's fully recovered.i'd rather losman lose a whole season and come back next year fully recovered than coming back to early and risking another/worse injuries.

SABURZFAN
10-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Drew makes a lot of sense. While he certainly is part of the problem, anyone who thinks that we will improve dramatically when he finally sits down is delusional.

Our much ballyhooed power running game is something like 28th in rushing, without one single touchdown. Our O line can neither run block nor pass block. We commit enough stupid penalties to make the Pope curse. The team utterly fails to execute at the most critical moments.

And the coaching is mediocre at best.

I can't wait to see Losman at QB, just like most of the rest of you. But I don't think the reincarnation of Johnny Unitas, or Joe Montana in his prime, could help this particular team very much. There is an awfully lot to fix before we will be respectable again.

no doubt,Jan.the coaching will get better as time goes on.i'm sure they realize that they're limited with what they've been given.our OL couldn't run effectively on some college defenses.Donna Ho has seriously neglected our needs on the OL,giving away 2 1st rounders,a 2nd,and a 5th on QB's.let's not forget that we've spent a 1st,2nd,and 4th on WRs as well.

Turf
10-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Actually, the reverse can be argued. Since Drew is a statue and also holds the ball too long, the D can stack 8 in the box at will because they know exactly where he will be and they know 9 times out of 10 they won't get burned by blitzing. Therefore the run game has a hard time because the box is always full.

Excellent point, and that's what gets me mad about this coaching staff.

Here would be my gameplan. I am going to gameplan like they're blitzing on every down. Almost every play is an anti blitz call. Soon, they'll stop. But you've got to burn them and teach them they can't blitz on you and fill the box up.

colin
10-28-2004, 08:37 PM
people are still too damn focussed on the QB

what matters is how the line plays first, then how the qb plays, then the rb, then the wrs (might be able to switch the last two). all of this is predicated by play calling.

if our line plays poorly, especially for most of the game, with penalties and missed blocks, we will lose. period. now the rest of our team can **** up, if the qb stinks then we lose, if the wrs stink then we lose, if the rb stinks then we lose. our qb has stunk in about 2 games this year, but our line has stunk in all but one, and our rb and wrs have stunk in a few as well. just because an exciting qb can make a play where a statue like drew will get creamed, it does not mean he will make the right throws and if the line sucks bad enough, we lose no matter who we have at the skill positions.

a mobile quarterback (and who out there is a GOOD mobile quarterback, vick, mcnabb?) will help to cover up some of our line weakness, but they can't get a bad line to play well. as far as vick and mcnabb these guys are super qbs and are on good teams, mcnabb has one of the best lines around. even the rookie in pitts gets some very solid line play and a good running game.

drew does look like he might be done for good, and it is quite likely he is done as a Bill, but a crap line means a bad football team. now i hope everything turns around and our linemen play to and beyond their potential, but as they have played so far this year, and the kind of mistakes we have gotten from the WR and RB position, Losman going in there could get very very ugly.

we have a bottom 3 line in the nfl, we are the worst damn running team in the nfl, and we have a first round pick at rb, and an rb who has 2 1400+ seasons.

our line sucks, and the line is more important than the qb

Turf
10-28-2004, 09:02 PM
our line sucks, and the line is more important than the qb

Agreed :clap: It STARTS with the line, and we have the worst line in football. TD can talk all day long about how he's going to straighten this thing out. Until he focuses and believes it, it won't happen.
Butler didn't do it either.
Polian did, and the Colts protect another statue.
Yet Bill neglected the defense again. The Colts are almost a mirror image of the 90 Bills.
Great QB, WR, OL, RB.
Below average defense.

Now I'm not for mortgaging the team for an O-Line, but the money Drews getting could bring in at least 1-2 players that can play.
With the defense we have, that's really all we need.

colin
10-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Agreed :clap: It STARTS with the line, and we have the worst line in football. TD can talk all day long about how he's going to straighten this thing out. Until he focuses and believes it, it won't happen.
Butler didn't do it either.
Polian did, and the Colts protect another statue.
Yet Bill neglected the defense again. The Colts are almost a mirror image of the 90 Bills.
Great QB, WR, OL, RB.
Below average defense.

Now I'm not for mortgaging the team for an O-Line, but the money Drews getting could bring in at least 1-2 players that can play.
With the defense we have, that's really all we need.

a better oline with the money we pay drew would be great.

I don't understand why they paid drew the contract they did this off season and not go for any linemen, i suppose they thought that a rook qb and a bad team would get them in hot water (which i think it very true) but they STILL brought in a rook coach and never got the line fixed. i don't know what they were thinking, but then again, i don't really know what else they had as far as options go.

perhaps they thought we would have some of the explosive O that we had in 02 along with our current D and maybe some more running when it was called for.

The Natrix
10-28-2004, 10:02 PM
I think Drew is going to go postal. :couch:

BlackJohn
10-29-2004, 01:11 AM
One of the many problems is that we havent been able to pick up the blitz(well duh!). How many times do you remember our rb picking it up. TH couldn't pick up a blitz if it was a 14 year old girl!!!. That's one of the reasons mcgahee is much better he already looks like a more complete back than th. With drew (and this team because the stupid penalties will continue and they kill drives too) we need to beat the blitz down the field, his strength has always been intermediate to down the field routes. Maybe WM will be better than Henry in that respect ..... as many others say with regard to drew.... can't get any worse!

don137
10-29-2004, 07:29 AM
I respectfully disagree with it starts with the line. While the line is a big part of it they are a sitting duck because of Drew's immobility. They get more heat than other OLs because defenses play a lot of man coverage and then stack the box and blitz resulting in a swarm of defenders coming at you almost every down. This line is not good enough to handle this onslaught every down. If Drew was mobile or had good pocket awareness then defenses would back off a little but he doesn't.
What I don't get is why the Bills don't do more quick slants. Reed and Moulds are great running after the catch plus it may slow down the pass rush however I don't see the quick slants.

TedMock
10-29-2004, 08:47 AM
I agree with the o-line being the most important part of the offense. That's the exact point I used to stress even to the little league teams I coached. Without a good line, nothing else works. They're the most important part of the offense, yet they get the least amount of credit. That's why those guys stick together the way they do. They're more of a unit than individual players. The QB, RB, WR, etc. are what they are, but the center, guards and tackles are THE LINE. They work as one. I don't care who the QB is, a good line will make them better. I don't want Losman in there yet. I'd rather not have our future killed. He may be more fun to watch, but just like Flutie with the bad line; he'll run around, it'll be fun, and the offense will still not score any points.

Tatonka
10-29-2004, 08:55 AM
But if he was going to go with DB why get rid of a key offensive line Vet and bring in Villariel.. He wasn't an upgrade.

:rolleyes:

juice, as soon as the election is over, i will help you run the "lets bring back the old washed up players" campaign..

sound good?

juice
10-29-2004, 09:42 AM
:rolleyes:

juice, as soon as the election is over, i will help you run the "lets bring back the old washed up players" campaign..

sound good?
Coy Wire needs a Campaign Manager, though he Tends to Flip-Flop on his positions. SS :nono: FS Just like your Posts.