PDA

View Full Version : Second String

Gunzlingr
11-12-2002, 11:34 PM
I was laying in bed a few minutes ago and as I flipped channels I saw the Bills uniforms. I stopped, of course, only to see an ad for a TNT movie called "Second String", starring Gil Bellows (QB) and Jon Voight (coach) dressed as Buffalo Bills!

This is what I got from the TNT website:

"Gil Bellows, Jon Voight, Richard T. Jones and Teri Polo star in the upcoming Turner Network Television (TNT) Original film SECOND STRING, a comedy-drama about a group of benchwarmers who go all the way to the Super Bowl®. Michael London executive-produces the two-hour film, which is being made with the cooperation of the National Football League. Rob Lieberman (Mighty Ducks 3, Fire In The Sky) will direct the film, from a script by Tom Flynn (Watch It).

In SECOND STRING, the Buffalo Bills' entire all-star offensive squad succumbs to a serious case of food poisoning and is out for the rest of the season, just one week before the playoffs. The Bills' coach (Voight) scrambles to bolster his second-string team, hiring a collection of cast-off players, including a former star Notre Dame quarterback (Bellows) and wide receiver (Jones). The team's road to the Super Bowl® is paved with mishaps, mistakes and miracles"

Anybody else hear about this? I guess I will watch just so I can see the Bills on TV this year (even if it is a made for tv movie).

http://www.tnt.tv/Movies/SecondString/0,7320,~TNTOriginals,00.html

Gunzlingr
11-12-2002, 11:41 PM
Oh, I think it is on Nov. 23.

venis2k1
11-12-2002, 11:45 PM
yea, the ads have been on for about a week now, it looks like it will be a pretty bad movie, but i will watch it.

northernbillfan
11-12-2002, 11:59 PM
I have been waitiing for this movie for about three years. I first heard about it a long time ago. I guess the major studios didn't want to put it out, so TNT bought the rights to it.

When the movie "The Replacements" came out, I thought that was the movie, because the uni's in teh Replacements were red, white, and blue. There were some NFL logo infringements, so I thought the studio made the changes.

I have heard about it, and am looking forward to it. But it just means more jokes from my friends, about the Bills inability to win the big one.

http://www.tnt.tv/TNT/Images/secondstring_182.jpg

ublinkwescore
11-13-2002, 01:05 AM
I can't wait.

You guys starting to feel the destiny thing yet - like maybe the Bills could be this year's Cinderella team?

DIHARD2
11-13-2002, 01:18 AM
:earpoke: At least we got t to dance with the prettiest girl at the dance four times . That's something, a lot of those other teams have only wish they could do. Instead of just been wallflowers. :lolcry:

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

ublinkwescore
11-13-2002, 02:08 AM
It's on December 18th - one week away from Christmas on the dot.

The_Philster
11-13-2002, 05:07 AM
It was in the works many years ago....back when Flutie still played for us. Flutie and Donavan Greer are both in this movie. Nice to see it's finally just about on.

Judge
11-13-2002, 07:56 AM
It's made by a Buffalo native- Rob Lederman (sp?).

I remember when they were filming the crowd scenes at a Bills game (I think in 1998). I think it was a Miami game- they had all the Hollywood-esque film crew and equipment there. Does anyone else remember that?

This movie was stuck in limbo for eons- about thime they run it, even though it's out-dated with the Flutie reference and the old uniforms, etc.

I've heard decent reviews for it- it's a made-for-cable TV movie, so it ain't Gone With the Wind, but so what? It should be fun.

casdhf
11-13-2002, 07:58 AM
eons huh?

Judge
11-13-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by casdhf
eons huh?

Yup- look it up, Thurman.

Ebenezer
11-13-2002, 08:01 AM
I know somebody who went to the premiere at the University at Buffalo...they told me that it is pretty corny and pretty bad. The stadium scenes look horrible and obviously staged.

Also, nobody I know of has ever had a case of food poisoning that lasted 7 weeks. Hiring ex-players off the street and getting them to gel in a pro system, be competitive and actually win a playoff game?? Very improbable story line. Admit it! If it were not the Bills would you watch this PoS?? DOUBT IT!!

Judge
11-13-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I know somebody who went to the premiere at the University at Buffalo...they told me that it is pretty corny and pretty bad. The stadium scenes look horrible and obviously staged.

Also, nobody I know of has ever had a case of food poisoning that lasted 7 weeks. Hiring ex-players off the street and getting them to gel in a pro system, be competitive and actually win a playoff game?? Very improbable story line. Admit it! If it were not the Bills would you watch this PoS?? DOUBT IT!!

That's why it's called a MOVIE, Einstein, I mean Ebeneezer!

Give me a break. With all the crappola on TV, why blast that movie?! It can't be any worse than the "TNT originals" previously aired, or the ESPN movies.

Earthquake Enyart
11-13-2002, 08:09 AM
I love POS movies. I'd watch. So would Miss B and Jaded, my fellow bad TV junkies.

Judge
11-13-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I love POS movies. I'd watch. So would Miss B and Jaded, my fellow bad TV junkies.

Can't argue w/ POS made-for-TV movies.

Ebenezer
11-13-2002, 09:27 AM
I can't waste my time with PoS (but I probably will watch it because it is the bills ;)).

Dozerdog
11-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

About as realistic as Hot Redheaded Mermaids, talking lobsters...yada yada yada....

WG
11-13-2002, 10:18 AM
PoS!

LOL

WG
11-13-2002, 10:18 AM
What's the matter Eb, you don't think it's realistic!

:D

ArcticWildMan
11-13-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

About as realistic as Hot Redheaded Mermaids, talking lobsters...yada yada yada....

Oh man. Don't be dissing Ariel and Sebastion!! We be :punch:

Judge
11-13-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
What's the matter Eb, you don't think it's realistic!

I guess Mr. Education has lost his sense of creativity in comprehending the meaning of "fiction".

:rolleyes:

Valerie
11-13-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart I love POS movies. I'd watch. So would Miss B and Jaded, my fellow bad TV junkies.
Yup, you got me there, Earthquake. You know I'm good for trash TV. :up: I think the three of us need our own forum so we can talk about all the crap we watch on TV. :D I was supposed to get my own forum on shopping, flirting, and fashion. Maybe we can expand that to include trash TV. :chuckle:

Ebenezer
11-13-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Judge

I guess Mr. Education has lost his sense of creativity in comprehending the meaning of "fiction".

:rolleyes:

I've read a lot of crap written by judges and lawyers...I know fiction!

northernbillfan
11-13-2002, 02:07 PM
I think this movie adds to the fact that the league, and other fans do not, or ever will, take us seriously.

Another example of the Bills being the laughing stalk of the league.

Boy I hope they have us winning the Super Bowl in this one.

The_Philster
11-13-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Judge

Yup- look it up, Thurman.

:lol: You in Canton the last two years too?

TigerJ
11-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Stupid movies can be fun. I'll watch it. There's nothing else on on a Wednesday night that I'm thrilled to watch.

Judge
11-13-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
I think this movie adds to the fact that the league, and other fans do not, or ever will, take us seriously.

Another example of the Bills being the laughing stalk of the league.

Boy I hope they have us winning the Super Bowl in this one.

As the Sarge said in Stripes, "Lighten up Francis".

Come on- it's a MOVIE. Big freakin' deal! A movie!

Get over your inferiority complex about Buffalo and our team!

Judge
11-13-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

:lol: You in Canton the last two years too?

Yeah I was!!!! Marv brought the house down with that line 2 years in a row, didn't he?!

I'm looking forward to going back for the next Bills induction into the HOF.

Michael82
11-13-2002, 10:10 PM
I know Jaded will be watching it. Her favorite little mullet is in it. :rolleyes:

The_Philster
11-14-2002, 05:02 AM
She'll probably wind up having a few copies of it on tape, too. ;)