PDA

View Full Version : Tom Donahoes biggest contribution ...

Buffalofan
10-29-2004, 07:52 AM
What has been Tom Donahoes biggest contribution to the Bills since his arrival? I have been trying to figure this one out myself and I am drawing a blank. I am not sure if he had anything to do with the uniform change or not but I would say that was a bust. Oh yeah, then theres the great coaches he has brough to town. And who can forget his great choices he has made in the NFL draft. Mike Williams and Josh Reed are sure paying dividends arent they? I just hope Ralph realizes all of this and sends him packing .. soon ! And dont even get me started about his decision to give Dallas a top 5 draft pick next year .. ughhhh.

Donahoe ... :loser:

justasportsfan
10-29-2004, 07:54 AM
Good cap management

OpIv37
10-29-2004, 07:55 AM
the defense has improved vastly, and ST have gone from pathetic to respectable- we even have an ST touchdown this year.

Hemlepp53
10-29-2004, 08:03 AM
What has been Tom Donahoes biggest contribution to the Bills since his arrival? I have been trying to figure this one out myself and I am drawing a blank. I am not sure if he had anything to do with the uniform change or not but I would say that was a bust. Oh yeah, then theres the great coaches he has brough to town. And who can forget his great choices he has made in the NFL draft. Mike Williams and Josh Reed are sure paying dividends arent they? I just hope Ralph realizes all of this and sends him packing .. soon ! And dont even get me started about his decision to give Dallas a top 5 draft pick next year .. ughhhh.

Donahoe ... :loser:

:clap: Good Point... :bad: :scratch: Lets :pound: Donahoe

Hemlepp53
10-29-2004, 08:05 AM
the defense has improved vastly, and ST have gone from pathetic to respectable- we even have an ST touchdown this year.

Agreed Last Year Our ST didnt look to bad either... The Defense is the TOP Improvement... But had we not grabbed one or two of the BIG NAME players for the Back Field at the price we did .. TD could of got us a decent OL and we still would have a decent D...

Earthquake Enyart
10-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Spikes

OpIv37
10-29-2004, 08:13 AM
Agreed Last Year Our ST didnt look to bad either... The Defense is the TOP Improvement... But had we not grabbed one or two of the BIG NAME players for the Back Field at the price we did .. TD could of got us a decent OL and we still would have a decent D...

He certainly could have done some things better. The truth is that wins are what really matters, and in that department TD is definitely a failure. But I want to give credit where credit is due- a few years back, I remember holding my breath on every special teams play. Thoughts of a 64-yard punt or a 50 yard return by Buffalo weren't even in my mind- I just desperately wanted them to avoid a turnover or allowing a TD.

The King
10-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Spikes

I will one up you a Fletcher and a Posey. He gave us a sick LB core.
Also I feel Milloy should be considered, we got him at a time where we desperately needed a safety and his leadership abilities.

Throne Logic
10-29-2004, 08:22 AM
He certainly could have done some things better. The truth is that wins are what really matters, and in that department TD is definitely a failure. But I want to give credit where credit is due- a few years back, I remember holding my breath on every special teams play. Thoughts of a 64-yard punt or a 50 yard return by Buffalo weren't even in my mind- I just desperately wanted them to avoid a turnover or allowing a TD.

While this is true, the majority of the turn-around in this area is due primarily to one player - Moorman. We can definitely credit TD for bringing in arguably the greatest punter in Bills history. But how does that help the O-Line?

Drewpac
10-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Did a great job with the defense and special teams. A horrible job with the offense and coach selection. You have to wonder how things would have gone if he never traded for Bledsoe.

clumping platelets
10-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Good cap management

I was gonna say that :mad:

Ebenezer
10-29-2004, 10:17 AM
me too :mad:

SABURZFAN
10-29-2004, 11:36 AM

:lolpoint: :mad:

SABURZFAN
10-29-2004, 11:36 AM
me too :mad:

:lolpoint: :mad:

Tatonka
10-29-2004, 11:40 AM
did you people forget that our defense was #1 in the league prior to TD getting here? i wouldnt call that an improvement.. i would call it keeping status quo.

cap management is the only thing he has done.. although you can argue that he really hasnt managed the cap that well, because he has spent tons of money on guys that are not worth half of what they get paid like drew and teague and spikes as well.. i love spikes.. but he is not a dominant player.. he is a good linebacker that is getting paid like he is a game breaker.. now maybe that is because he isnt used right.. but as of right now.. his stats and play over the past 2 years doesnt really justify all the money he is making.. if he was at MLB, i think he would be much better, and could be a ray lewis type in that role.

juice
10-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Milloy to replace Wire was a Great Move. :lolcry: :stupid:

justasportsfan
10-29-2004, 12:11 PM
All his good player movements eneded up nowhere because of his inability to hire the right coach that made these hirings work. Player hirings - coaching hirings = 0 (wash)

Our cap is still good . In case I haven't said it yet :D

Tatonka
10-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Milloy to replace Wire was a Great Move. :lolcry: :stupid:

seriously.. give it up juice.. this is ridiculous.. you keep harping on the fact that i thought one player would do well.. along with A LOT of other people on this board.. i have said at least TEN TIMES that i was wrong.. coy is not the right guy, and he will not be able to adjust to playing in the secondary.. what more do you want before you drop it.

get over yourself. please!! it gets so annoying.. you keep bring it up.. that is all you talk about is ruben brown.. izelle reese... and then your slick little "coyboy" comments..

seriously.. just let it go.. grow up.

mods.. that is the best i can do without attacking the poster.. i would appreciate it you could take note that every time he does that, it mine as well be an attack on the poster.. because it is clearly done to aggrivate that **** out of me.. which he does without even addressing me.

Michael82
10-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Aaron Schobel
Sam Adams
Takeo Spikes
London Fletcher
Jeff Posey
Nate Clements
Lawyer Milloy
Brian Moorman
Travis Henry (was a Pro Bowler)
Willis McGahee (future looks bright)
Lee Evans (future looks bright)
JP Losman (future looks bright)

Mr. Cynical
10-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Tom Donahoes biggest contribution ...

His big fat head.

Mr. Cynical
10-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Good cap managementIt's only good cap management if you win at the same time. Otherwise he's just being a good accountant, not a good GM.

Michael82
10-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Tom Donahoes biggest contribution ...

His big fat head.
:rolleyes:

Dozerdog
10-29-2004, 01:17 PM
seriously.. give it up juice.. this is ridiculous.. you keep harping on the fact that i thought one player would do well.. along with A LOT of other people on this board.. i have said at least TEN TIMES that i was wrong.. coy is not the right guy, and he will not be able to adjust to playing in the secondary.. what more do you want before you drop it.

get over yourself. please!! it gets so annoying.. you keep bring it up.. that is all you talk about is ruben brown.. izelle reese... and then your slick little "coyboy" comments..

mods.. that is the best i can do without attacking the poster.. i would appreciate it you could take note that every time he does that, it mine as well be an attack on the poster.. because it is clearly done to aggrivate that **** out of me.. which he does without even addressing me.

Keep reminding him of how Ruben Brown is the best bill of all time...LOL

In a serious vein- put him on ignore

Mr. Cynical
10-29-2004, 01:18 PM
:rolleyes:
:bravo:

juice
10-29-2004, 01:22 PM

I thought we were "just busting each others Balls" Tonk, Isn't that what you told the Mods 2 days ago when they had to Banish you to Siberia for your Personal attacks.

With all of your tough talk, I never thought you would play the role of the Victom.. Im just holding you accountable for you Posted Opinion on Coy Wire, just like you hold me to my opinion of Ruben Brown being last years Scapegoat, as the reason that this O-Line is drastically worse than Last Years. Tit-For-Tat Tonk, If your gonna dish it out you have to be able to take it as well.

If you admit that Ruben Brown was a major reason for this Lines sucess in the Run Game last year, I wont remind you of your Coy Wire will unseat Reese Campaign and the vicious personal attacks that you carried out on my ability to Post.. Until then Quit Crying to the Mods :cry: , they wont feel sorry for you, because of your Reputation and your numerous Personal attacks on Anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion.

juice
10-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Keep reminding him of how Ruben Brown is the best bill of all time...LOL

Ruben should've at least been First Team on your list Dozer.
ALL TIME BILLS (www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2004/09/27/billszonecoms_alltime_buffalo_bills_team_.php)

Michael82
10-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Ruben should've at least been First Team on your list Dozer.
ALL TIME BILLS (www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2004/09/27/billszonecoms_alltime_buffalo_bills_team_.php)
:roflmao:

juice
10-29-2004, 02:06 PM
:roflmao:
I agree with you Mikey.. Eight consecutive Pro Bowls and "My Boy Ruben" cant even get on the 1st team. It's Ludacris' :scratch:

Dozerdog
10-29-2004, 02:10 PM
I agree with you Mikey.. Eight consecutive Pro Bowls and "My Boy Ruben" cant even get on the 1st team. It's Ludacris' :scratch:

If he can get into the Hall of Fame, we will talk. Shaw and Joe D are NFL HoF players. Ruben is not.

juice
10-29-2004, 02:30 PM
If he can get into the Hall of Fame, we will talk. Shaw and Joe D are NFL HoF players. Ruben is not.
Fair Enough, but it's only a matter of time.

Joe D has the Electric Co. fame, I can never argue against the unit that led OJ into the HoF.. But Ruben may end up with as many Pro Bowls as Joe D or Shaw had years in the League.
Ruben looks like his old self in Chi-Town.. He's still a beast when he pulls to lead the runner up field.

This All Time list was one of the Best Billszone Exclusives produced here.. I was just looking for a reason to bring it up.

Good Work Man.

venis2k1
10-29-2004, 03:07 PM
...he has spent tons of money on guys that are not worth half of what they get paid like drew and teague and spikes as well.. i love spikes.. but he is not a dominant player.. he is a good linebacker that is getting paid like he is a game breaker.. now maybe that is because he isnt used right.. but as of right now.. his stats and play over the past 2 years doesnt really justify all the money he is making...

I dont think this is a very good point, There are several LBs in the NFL that are paid better than spikes, like The titans Bulluck and the 49ers Peterson these are what i would call "good linebackers that are getting paid like Gamebreakers."

Tatonka
10-29-2004, 03:09 PM
I never thought you would play the role of the Victom..

hooked on phonics?

your right, doz.. i will just go ahead and put him on ignore.. it is like trying to reason with a child..

maybe i will get lucky one day and we can meet at a game.. :box:

Tatonka
10-29-2004, 03:10 PM
I dont think this is a very good point, There are several LBs in the NFL that are paid better than spikes, like The titans Bulluck and the 49ers Peterson these are what i would call "good linebackers that are getting paid like Gamebreakers."

i would take bullock and peterson over spikes.

juice
10-29-2004, 03:30 PM
maybe i will get lucky one day and we can meet at a game.. :box:
How about the VT at UNC game.. Maybe you can bring some Wys-Wings down.. It should be a good game since the Hokies are ranked.

ACC COUNTRY :bighug:

Michael82
10-29-2004, 03:39 PM
He won't be in the hall either. The guys that Dozer put over him already are. IMO Ruben Brown was VERY overrated and VERY overpaid. That's why he's not here anymore.

juice
10-29-2004, 03:44 PM
He won't be in the hall either. The guys that Dozer put over him already are. IMO Ruben Brown was VERY overrated and VERY overpaid. That's why he's not here anymore.
And that is exactly why our run game is in the Toilet and we have no rushing TDs.. Do you agree Mikey?

Remind me who our best Lineman was last year.. and what is the difference between last years line and this years line.

The_Philster
10-29-2004, 04:10 PM
The guys that Dozer put over him already are in the Hall....I was there for both inductions :up:

Jeff1220
10-29-2004, 04:52 PM
By "biggest" do you mean the most positive, or the one most directly affecting the play of the Bills?

Most positive one - The D has been solid.

Most consequential - Neglecting the O-line.

Michael82
10-29-2004, 04:53 PM
And that is exactly why our run game is in the Toilet and we have no rushing TDs.. Do you agree Mikey?

Remind me who our best Lineman was last year.. and what is the difference between last years line and this years line.
Who was our best lineman last year? Hmm....Jonas Jennings! :snicker:

juice
10-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Who was our best lineman last year? Hmm....Jonas Jennings! :snicker:
Go ahead and say it Mikey, Ruben's absence has crippled the offensive run production this year and TD was an Idiot for letting him go.

I think John Abraham exposed JJ as an average Lineman, Ruben made that Bum Jonas look good last year in the Run game and everyone was too busy Hating on Ruben to see it.

Now look where we are 1-6 with the best RBs in the League not to have scored. Drew and Travis will take the fall this year to cover TD's Mistakes in putting together a working Line.

Michael82
10-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Go ahead and say it Mikey, Ruben's absence has crippled the offensive run production this year and TD was an Idiot for letting him go.

I think John Abraham exposed JJ as an average Lineman, Ruben made that Bum Jonas look good last year in the Run game and everyone was too busy Hating on Ruben to see it.

Now look where we are 1-6 with the best RBs in the League not to have scored. Drew and Travis will take the fall this year to cover TD's Mistakes in putting together a working Line.
When are you going to admit it? You are Ruben Brown's son...aren't you? either that...or you are Ruben Brown himself. :eek: :idunno:

SABURZFAN
10-29-2004, 06:29 PM
yeah...well....having r.brown could help us now.this OL is pathetic.i couldn't see him doing any worse than the schmoes we have now.Donna Ho hasn't done squat to make some fans forget about r.brown either.

Marvelous
10-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Spikes, Clements, Schobel, Henry, and most of all fixed Butlers cap mess. Got a 1st for Peerless.
Some positives for a change of pace from the norm TD hate. :)

juice
10-29-2004, 07:02 PM
When are you going to admit it? You are Ruben Brown's son...aren't you? either that...or you are Ruben Brown himself. :eek: :idunno:
Don't get off topic Mikey.

Is this years line Without Ruben, better than last years Line with Ruben? :scratch:

Did TD do anything in the off-season with the Offensive Line to give this unit a better chance of being productive. Has this O-Line shown any ability to perform at a Professional level as either a Pass or Run unit.

Then ask yourself what is the one major difference between the Line last year, that led the way for Travis' consecutive 1400 yd seasons and this years edition that hasn't seen the Endzone?

It must be Bledsoe's Fault. Maybe DB isn't handing the ball off to Henry the way he did for the Two consecutive 1400 yd seasons.

Marvelous
10-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Dude whats with you and Ruben Brown? He was horrible last year and esp in passing situations. I'm glad we dumped him. There is just no way to prove who is right about Ruben with Drew at the helm...

juice
10-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Dude whats with you and Ruben Brown? He was horrible last year and esp in passing situations. I'm glad we dumped him. There is just no way to prove who is right about Ruben with Drew at the helm...
Your missing the point Sippio..

If Ruben was soo bad last year..

Why has overall run production dropped
Why cant we score a rushing TD
Why is our 1400 yd Back riding the pine
Why is Henry's Trade Value down to a third rounder

We're averaging around 3 YPC with two potential 1400 yd rushers on our roster.

The point is that TD is a horrible O-Line talent evaluater.. and the line quality has diminished.
The proof is in the Numbers... Dude.

Marvelous
10-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Your missing the point Sippio..

If Ruben was soo bad last year..

Why has overall run production dropped
Why cant we score a rushing TD
Why is our 1400 yd Back riding the pine
Why is Henry's Trade Value down to a third rounder

We're averaging around 3 YPC with two potential 1400 yd rushers on our roster.

The point is that TD is a horrible O-Line talent evaluater.. and the line quality has diminished.
The proof is in the Numbers... Dude.
Well i agree about TD being a *****y O-line GM but I wouldn't say the lack of rushing stats this year is a result of Ruben. Sure a lil is agreed as Ruben is/was great at run support but given his contract and his decline i understand the release. BUT TD shoulda had a O-line replacement or plan in general.
+ Henry ha not made the most of his opportunities so far this year IMO.

juice
10-30-2004, 12:03 AM
but I wouldn't say the lack of rushing stats this year is a result of Ruben.
I agree with your post, except this one sentence, is where you lost me.

We agree that TD got rid of an excellent run blocker and brought in a non-factor, Vallerial.

I dont think Henry's struggles are as much him not making the most of his touches, but more-so the Line not producing holes for him to get through to the secondary. TH has to have open run lanes to get momentum going "Down Hill", he needs to break tackles to be effective, not get stuffed at the LOS.

Creating run lanes was Browns' strength, and he's still effective in Chi-Town, with about the same level of talent around him. We could've afforded to pay him what he's getting in Chicago, TD just needed a scapegoat after last season.

casdhf
10-30-2004, 12:28 PM
My favorite Danahoe move was passing on Kenyatta Walker and trading down. He took a **** load of heat for that. Where are all the Kenyatta supporters now?

Mr. Cynical
10-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Creating run lanes was Browns' strength, and he's still effective in Chi-Town, with about the same level of talent around him.
If your argument is RB can "make the line work", and if you say he has the same level of talent around him in Chicago, then why is their running game ranked #19?

juice
10-30-2004, 06:30 PM
If your argument is RB can "make the line work", and if you say he has the same level of talent around him in Chicago, then why is their running game ranked #19?

My point is this:

Our Line with Brown produced a 1400 yard Stud..

Our Line without Ruben has produced no TDs, 3 ypc, and diminished our studs market value to nothing.

We could have won 2 of our first four games with any type of run production.

TD made NO offseason moves to replace that production loss.

Michael82
10-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Uhh...juice....I wouldn't use last year's stats for ruben Brown if I were you. Wasn't that the year where the Bills couldn't score touchdowns to save their lives? just like this year. :scratch:

Wasn't it like 5 or 6 games where they never scored an offensive touchdown? :idunno:

:doh:

juice
10-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Uhh...juice....I wouldn't use last year's stats for ruben Brown if I were you. Wasn't that the year where the Bills couldn't score touchdowns to save their lives? just like this year. :scratch:

Wasn't it like 5 or 6 games where they never scored an offensive touchdown? :idunno:

:doh:
I thought that was passing scores.

By the time they went through that stretch Henry had already scored around 7 TDs if I'm not mistaken... at that point Henry began putting together some impressive rush totals.. I think it was the Red zone where they had the problems, especially once Moulds pulled up lame.

Henry's could never break the run for the TD but he was ripping off some 10-20 yard gains, but with this years line he is being stopped at the LoS.

Marvelous
10-31-2004, 01:20 AM
Any other non Ruben Brown oppinions out there about TD? sheesh.

colin
10-31-2004, 01:54 AM
did you people forget that our defense was #1 in the league prior to TD getting here? i wouldnt call that an improvement.. i would call it keeping status quo.

cap management is the only thing he has done.. although you can argue that he really hasnt managed the cap that well, because he has spent tons of money on guys that are not worth half of what they get paid like drew and teague and spikes as well.. i love spikes.. but he is not a dominant player.. he is a good linebacker that is getting paid like he is a game breaker.. now maybe that is because he isnt used right.. but as of right now.. his stats and play over the past 2 years doesnt really justify all the money he is making.. if he was at MLB, i think he would be much better, and could be a ray lewis type in that role.

This is way off the mark.

Spikes is a force at linebacker, there might be two or three other linebackers in his league, but bullock and peterson are not even close in terms of overall ability.

the MLB gets more tackles because that is his role, he is protected from blockers by the tackles and gets in the hole. the difference is that spikes on the weak side makes plays that other players just can't make, he is the best player on one of the best Ds in the NFL.

Also, we had the #3 D in the NFL the year TD took the team over, and the next year we lost Wiley, Washington, and Cowart (for the year due to injury). Those were our #1-#3 players on D and all comanded big money when they left and were at the top of their games for us when they were here. We also lost Jones and had F all depth and some people got hurt. Our D for the next 2 seasons really really sucked.

Anyhow, we are missing Ruben badly, I hoped we wouldn't but we are, his release was a big mistake.

As far as TDs moves, many were very good, and the cap management has been great, but the whole of our team is just not equal to the sum of its parts, it's much much less in fact.

I think if we kept Rueben and perhaps got a top center on the team we might be a real contender this year, but we have a bunch of skill position talent going to waste, our best special teams in a while, and an outstanding D on a team that can't run for 5hit.

I also think signing a rookie coach was a dumb move, and it might just cost TD his job.

Marvelous
10-31-2004, 02:54 AM
I agree that we never shoulda hired a rookie coach. AGAIN! lol

Spikes imo is all that but Tatonka hit the nail on the head that we just don't use him right. The MLB gets all the good opportunities but Spikes is a OLB and a damn good one. imo TD should have had the sense to put better coaches in place or a head coach that has a creative defensive coord. Grey is decent but the NE game comes to mind when we blitzed like crazy and we didn't get to Brady. IMO TD's main strength is his cap management. Take that away and he's worht ***. I mean look at this offseason. We got Villariel and Vincent and we are
under the cap more then i would like to be.

*After Rob & Drew i think i've seen more sacks between the two then since 1988. All i know is we need a change and it starts with TD. I just want to be competitive again :cry: :cry: :cry:

juice
10-31-2004, 09:21 AM
Anyhow, we are missing Ruben badly, I hoped we wouldn't but we are, his release was a big mistake.

I think if we kept Rueben and perhaps got a top center on the team we might be a real contender this year, but we have a bunch of skill position talent going to waste, our best special teams in a while, and an outstanding D on a team that can't run for 5hit.
There's a Non-Ruben response for you.. again the proof in in the #s.. 1-5 with NO rushing TDs.. the Brown/Vallerial move may have been one of TD worst deals yet.

Mr. Cynical
10-31-2004, 01:38 PM
Line seems to be run blocking ok today for Willis. :scratch:

Dozerdog
10-31-2004, 11:19 PM

:rofl:

Our defense was #1 in 1964 too....

It still amazes- even dumbfounds me- that people think that when TD got here keeping that defense in tact was an option- even poissible. Had the cap not been an issue- that unit would have seen a huge drop off in 2 years anyway. Many retired, or were out of the league in 2-3 years.

Conveniently forgetting a 20 million cap overage - yup- but he inherited a top defense:rolleyes:

Tatonka
10-31-2004, 11:21 PM
he still didnt come in and take our defense to places it had never been before.. he just kept it where it was.. i dont see how this is something that can even be argued.

Dozerdog
10-31-2004, 11:26 PM
he still didnt come in and take our defense to places it had never been before.. he just kept it where it was.. i dont see how this is something that can even be argued.

He dismantled the 19999-200 team- because it had to be done.

In 2 years the entire thing was rebuilt and is now one of the sickest in the league.

They gave up 17 total yards in the second half to Baltimore, and something like 50 total yards today in the second half. They Held Miami to well under 100 for the second half of that game too.

If you have a beef with TD- please bring up the OL, or Bledsoe- or "Wasting " a pick on McGahee. But complaining about what TD did with the defense is silly.

And he's done it without giving a single player a ridiculous contract.

Tatonka
10-31-2004, 11:30 PM
i am not complaining about what TD did with the defense.. but i dont think he deserves a ton of credit for keeping the defense where it was before he got here..

great.. he didnt allow the defense to suck.. good job td..

shame you couldnt do the same with any other part of the team.. offense, special teams, or coaching.

colin
11-01-2004, 12:01 AM
i am not complaining about what TD did with the defense.. but i dont think he deserves a ton of credit for keeping the defense where it was before he got here..

great.. he didnt allow the defense to suck.. good job td..

shame you couldnt do the same with any other part of the team.. offense, special teams, or coaching.

c'mon, you are just being silly here.

we have the best special teams we have had on this team since 1994, and they were horrible before.

if you want to say TD sucks because of our record, fine by me, but if you say he has not done the little things, that is garbage.

he has done many good things, but his few glaring errors kinda undermine the whole thing.

i say it comes down to a lack of talent on the O line and coaching, but MM has shown some signs, lets hope our o line gets better and we can sign some people

Tatonka
11-01-2004, 12:04 AM
c'mon, you are just being silly here.

we have the best special teams we have had on this team since 1994, and they were horrible before.

if you want to say TD sucks because of our record, fine by me, but if you say he has not done the little things, that is garbage.

he has done many good things, but his few glaring errors kinda undermine the whole thing.

i say it comes down to a lack of talent on the O line and coaching, but MM has shown some signs, lets hope our o line gets better and we can sign some people

you are talking about right now.. sure.. our special teams has looked much improved this year.. but it is 7 games in.. not even halfway through.. lets see how the year end results look.. on that and on coaching..

for the first 3 years td has been here.. the offense and special teams have smoked pole.. and so has the coaching..

i am not ready to say now at 2-5 that td has fixed anything yet.

colin
11-01-2004, 12:29 AM
you are talking about right now.. sure.. our special teams has looked much improved this year.. but it is 7 games in.. not even halfway through.. lets see how the year end results look.. on that and on coaching..

for the first 3 years td has been here.. the offense and special teams have smoked pole.. and so has the coaching..

i am not ready to say now at 2-5 that td has fixed anything yet.

sure, but if we had a couple of lucky plays we could be 5-2 VERY easily. i bet if milloy was healthy and we started mcgahee we would for sure be 5-2.

no matter though, we still would have a rook coach and a piss poor oline.

i am not so worried about overpaying a bit for bledsoe's extension, we can always cut him and 2 mil a year over 2 years is not much to face rather than going into this year with a rook qb and nothing else. I have enough faith that either a bledsoe at a reduced salary and JP combo will be decent, or we will just cut bledsoe and hope JP is ready to rumble next year.

but quality linemen and coaches take time to become fully effective, maybe MM can do something this year, but we just don't have the horses on the line at all, we really need at least 2 new quality linemen, and we will prolly have to replace JJ as well.

i think you judge a GM based on the context of the situation he came into, and the direction of the team.

if JP, Willis, Evans, and MM turn out, then TD is basically a good GM, if Mike Williams and Edwards and one of our kelsey/denny people step up, we are in a very very good position for the future.

so while the coaching and o line have been pure crap so far, td has hedged his bets with a view to the future and if we trade henry for some picks and have a 2001 quality draft we will be laughing

The_Philster
11-01-2004, 04:01 AM
we have the best special teams we have had on this team since 1994, and they were horrible before.correction:96...the year that the Dallas Morning News had us ranked as the best special teams unit in the NFL

Mr. Cynical
11-01-2004, 04:17 AM

"if you want to say TD sucks because of our record, fine by me".

That is the ONLY thing that matters. We are one game ahead of the perennial losing Cardinals (18-37) since he came here. Nothing more need be said. He needs to go.

EDS
11-01-2004, 08:25 AM

I don't think you can discount the loss of those free agents and the injury to Cowart. Pre-injury Cowart was arguably the second best linebacker in football behind Ray Lewis. He dominated. He never regained that same ability and TD definitely made the right decision not resigning him to the big contract the Jets game him. Also, losing Ted Washington was huge, but again, with the Bills cap situation, no GM could have retained him. Wiley, well, he is o.k. but not a game changer like Washington and Cowart.

Bottomline is if Cowart never gets hurt that changes things alot. So, it that light, I think TD and company have done an excellent job restoring the defense.

People also say that he has ignored the offensive line, but don't think that is true. He has brought in a number of free agents and high draft picks. Unfortunately, those moves did not work out.