PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we might find out if Charlie Weiss was qualified

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-29-2004, 08:19 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10023640.htm?1c

Miami Herald: "If the Dolphins make another run at New England executive Scott Pioli -- they were denied permission to speak to him in January because the Patriots were still in the playoffs -- people in the league expect Pioli to take offensive coordinator Charlie Weis with him as head coach."

Tatonka
10-29-2004, 08:41 AM
that would be a great move for them, and suck for us..

and there are about 6 strong RBs for miami to grab in the draft too.. and we know how pioli drafts.. that guy is good.

Gunzlingr
10-29-2004, 08:43 AM
that would be a great move for them, and suck for us..

and there are about 6 strong RBs for miami to grab in the draft too.. and we know how pioli drafts.. that guy is good.
He's no Tom Donahoe :couch:

Samphin1
10-29-2004, 08:57 AM
He's no Tom Donahoe :couch:

Thank GOD! :lol: :jk:

Ickybaluky
10-29-2004, 10:25 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10023640.htm?1c

Miami Herald: "If the Dolphins make another run at New England executive Scott Pioli -- they were denied permission to speak to him in January because the Patriots were still in the playoffs -- people in the league expect Pioli to take offensive coordinator Charlie Weis with him as head coach."

The only problem with that scenario is that Pioli signed a contract extension. Thus, he can't go anywhere in the near future, unless the Patriots let him out of his contract.

Some might say that he can leave for a better job, but there is no such rule for front office staff. Kraft has said that Pioli is equal to a GM, thus letting him leave to be a GM would not be a step up. Also, Pioli has never said he wants to leave, he has a very close relationship with Belichick and has stated that there is much work left to do in NE.

Weis, on the other hand, is gone no matter what. His contract is up after this season, and even if he doesn't get a head coaching job he will leave for coordination position elsewhere if he is offered more money. He was not happy with the contract extension the Pats offered him.

Crennel may be gone as well, if he gets a HC job. Crennel is under contract as DC through 2006, but he will probably be a HC candidate this year. Losing Crennell would be a bigger blow than Weis, IMO. Crennel is Belichick lite, and I think he will be an excellent HC someday. Weis I am less sold on. He does an excellent job developing players and is a top notch offensive coach, but his playcalling is suspect and I woudn't be surprised to see him flop as a HC.

clumping platelets
10-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Weis I am less sold on. He does an excellent job developing players and is a top notch offensive coach, but his playcalling is suspect and I woudn't be surprised to see him flop as a HC.

Then, by all means, let him take the Fins job if available :snicker:

Mr. Cynical
10-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Kraft has said that Pioli is equal to a GM, thus letting him leave to be a GM would not be a step up. Also, Pioli has never said he wants to leave, he has a very close relationship with Belichick and has stated that there is much work left to do in NE.There are three problems with this statement that I can see.

First, what is higher than a GM? President? That's about it. And not many teams hire new presidents since that role is held alot by the owners themselves. So I don't necessarily agree that the "step up" rule applies here. Even though Kraft says Pioli is "equal" a GM, technically he is not. Therefore a GM role would still "technically" be a step up.

Second, we've all heard players and coaches say "they never want to leave"....until the big $$$$ comes rolling in. Granted I am not as close to this situation are you are, but the bottom line is that if some owner is willing to double his salary, he will leave if he can make it happen contractually. Everyone has their price.

Finally, "much work left to do"? I can't see that as being the case honestly. 2 SBs, 21-0 and counting....maybe a 3rd SB is the work left to be done...I dunno. But I'd imagine taking a franchise from the bottom to the very top would be more challenging (and more rewarding) at this point for him. Of course I don't know this for sure (nobody does), but it does follow the pattern you see around the league.

TigerJ
10-30-2004, 06:49 PM
No doubt, if Kraft tries to get in the way and Pioli wants to test the market, the league would have to step in and rule on the matter.

Ickybaluky
10-31-2004, 05:15 AM
what is higher than a GM? President? That's about it. And not many teams hire new presidents since that role is held alot by the owners themselves. So I don't necessarily agree that the "step up" rule applies here. Even though Kraft says Pioli is "equal" a GM, technically he is not. Therefore a GM role would still "technically" be a step up.

In the front office, there is no rule that you have to let guys go to land a better job. You can be an area scout, and teams can block you from leaving for a GM position.

Also, the Pats do not have a GM. Nobody holds the title, and Bill Belichick is not contractually anything but the coach. Pioli holds the highest front-office position on the Pats.