PDA

View Full Version : Are NHL games turning into Power Play contests?

Mr.Reality
11-13-2002, 01:09 AM
I swear, I'm seeing some pretty ticky tacky calls this year. Seems like most of the game is played on a power play. Or is that my imagination?

I think they're trying to open up the scoring, or free up the stars or something, with more scoring; but I think it makes the game more boring, not more exciting.

Sabre Ally
11-13-2002, 01:42 AM
It seems to depend on the game/who's reffing. Saturday night's Sabres/Thrashers game was relatively penalty-free, and despite the outcome, was pretty exciting.

Dozerdog
11-13-2002, 09:21 AM
Whether they becone PP contests is up to the coaches and players.

If the Refs stay CONSISTENT the players will finally get it through their heads and lay off all the groping. The problem is the NHL has never been consistent wil ANY of their rules/rulings.

Likethe "in the crease" rule. I hate to see goalies get run on/at so to prevent stars like Hasek, Brodeaur, and so on getting knocked out, they made the crease out of bounds. But the NHL could not even get something as black and white like that right . "well, he didn't interfere with the goalie, bla bla bla..."They added "referee judgement" to the mix and you got selective enforcement.

So, if the NHL finally grows a pair and sticks to their guns, the PP's will disappear. Otherwise, it will become another cluster ****. If the Players understand this rule is to stay, they will stop the clutching and the game opens up. Otherwise, they will continue the grabbinfg until the refs get tired of calling it.

Earthquake Enyart
11-13-2002, 09:23 AM
Paul Stewart the other nite thought the in the crease rule was still in effect. He disallowed THREE Blackhawk goals for "goalie interference" but only called a penalty on one of them. :huh:

Ever since Tom Lysiak tripped that linesman, the refs have been out to get them.